The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)
This topic is about Vampire Academy
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments This is a discussion where you can talk about anything related with the Vampire Academy series.

Alexandra  (cherry_crush) | 30 comments Amazing series! If i have to be honest I was a bit sceptical at first thinking oh god not another vampire crap but Richelle Mead managed to really surprise me, she has created this beautiful story with this strong protagonist and even Lissa evolves and becomes a strong character. If you have time definitely give it a shot :)

Kayla (kayla_russ) | 6 comments I'm only on the third book but I'm really happy that Mead made Rose's character grow up. She was really bugging me for some reason in the beginning.

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Pavkovich | 22 comments I've been out of work for almost 2 years and haven't had the money to buy books, but, I'll definitely check out Mead when I have the chance

message 5: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 12, 2013 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (jenniferdelorme) Love all of these books!! Can re-read them over and over and still love them. Rose and Dimitri love love love love them <3

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments My best friend read the first book and told me she hadn't liked it. So It took me a while to finally decide to read them, but when I did i fell in love with them.

message 7: by Lacey (new)

Lacey New (laceynew) | 3 comments This is by far...one of my very favorite series. Twilight was great but the VA books are sensational. No comparison in my opinion. So don't be embarrassed, read the books!!!

Lauren (originally_elle) | 250 comments VA Series was amazing!
Rose is so badass! Dimitri is GORGEOUS, Lissa has really grown & evolved since book 1 & I think her & Christian are adorable together
& come on, how did anyone not fall in love with Adrian??? Tragic Bad Boy who just wants to be loved... oh yea Adrian is great!
VA is one of my absolute favorite series!

Susan (ilove_jla) | 22 comments I have this on my list to read! Ive heard so many good things.

message 10: by HZar (new)

HZar Worth | 66 comments Check out our novella. We're fairly new here and are excited about growing our presence within this community at goodreads. Best wishes, Hunter and Osa. Add us as a friend, add our book, tell us about your book or blog. The Canarsie Flash

message 11: by Kandy (new)

Kandy Scaramuzzo | 55 comments Laura wrote: "This is a discussion where you can talk about anything related with the Vampire Academy series."

message 12: by Kandy (new)

Kandy Scaramuzzo | 55 comments Hey There!
I have read them all and they don't suck. After the glittery vampire, I was very worried that it would be another one of those. I really must say I enjoyed them. I have since found out that there are some kind of novellas that go with them. I need to check them out.

Michelle Hofacker | 14 comments I have read the whole series and they are great. They in NO WAY COMPARE TO TWILIGHT !! Much more mature and for a broader audience. I feel in love with Rose immediately because she was believable. I liked Twilight, but this series blows it away. I kept wanting more.

message 14: by Ree (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ree | 8 comments I love these books so much! I just finished book #4 and I loved it just as much as the other books. To people who haven't read them yet, you totally should!

Dustin (dalittlestelf) I've been really interested in this series but Im really hesitant since most vampire novels are wrote primarily for romance. Would a guy like this series?

Savannah (skyswriting) I have been trying to read this series FOR evvvver now, I finally manged to have time to start. I am going to have to be careful not to stumble on any spoilers in here though!
So far, I love how it reads like an adult book, and I love, LOVE Mead's take on vampires, the different breeds and how they survive.

Jolene (klyoptarice) | 15 comments This is just an amazing series! I've read them in Englisch and Dutch, multiple times! It's so much better then Twilight... And better then The House Of Night series. ;D

message 18: by Jolene (last edited Apr 11, 2013 11:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jolene (klyoptarice) | 15 comments Elle wrote: "VA Series was amazing!
Rose is so badass! Dimitri is GORGEOUS, Lissa has really grown & evolved since book 1 & I think her & Christian are adorable together
& come on, how did anyone not fall in l..."

I AGREE! Dimitri is just perfect. Though I don't really think the guy who's going to play him in the movie fits the role... But I don't thinkg any guy can fit the role with my imagination about the badass Dimitri. And you seriously got to love Adrian. He's adorable. Also I really liked Mason!

Beneatha | 5 comments I read this series about a year ago and it is honestly some of the best books I have ever read. I was just coming off of my twilight high and was kind of sick of vampires but Richealle Mead pleasantly suprised me!

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 16 comments I read these books after a woman at my work told me that she read them before deciding if her daughter was allowed to read them. I had decided that I didn't really want to read about teenagers anymore, vampire or not, but she convinced me otherwise! I'm very glad she did & I now can't wait to see if it becomes a movie.
And by the way, her young teenage daughter was NOT allowed to read them lol....

message 21: by Goldn (last edited Jun 07, 2013 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Goldn Persephone  | 4 comments Alexandra wrote: "Amazing series! If i have to be honest I was a bit sceptical at first thinking oh god not another vampire crap but Richelle Mead managed to really surprise me, she has created this beautiful story ..."

Was my exact thought when the series was recommended. I was delighted how non-whiny it turned out. I loved the whole series and how it evolved. I was expecting another HON type of series, so glad I gave it a shot. Was also glad it didn't go on forever, even if I wanted just a bit more in the end.

Pratiksha | 9 comments I loved this series! Rose really evolved as a character and became my favourite. Her romance with Dimitri was heartbreaking and hotttt! I thought it was a book about lesbian love initially while reading the first book and was about to quit. But I am glad that I stuck to it. Come on, all that getting jealous over Lissa and getting turned on by the vampire bite thing was weird in the beginning. It really made me feel this is a gay love thing going on. All I wanted was a racy romance, so I am glad I didn't dump this book. I loved the part where Dimitri is a Strigoi. It was amazing and heartbreaking!

Heather (haswilliams) After so many glowing reviews, i may have to revisit this series. I read the first one sometime ago and didn't find it compelling even in a "fun read" way. (I've read all HON, Twilight, Sookie Stackhouse, Fallen, Evernight, A and Society of S series). Well, time to check it out again! thanks!

Rachel Davis (galifrey) I bought all 6 books not long ago when I came across a sale. I did so on the recommendation of some of the girls at work even though I am a bit more selective in what I tend to like. I am so glad I did!

After book one, I wasn't sure I'd be into the series. I wasn't hooked, but interested enough to keep going. Well, I just finished book three and holy crap! Some things were a bit predictable, but I gut punched in the gut a few times along the way. So far, Richelle Mead has picked up her stride with each book. I'm really looking forward to the next three. Looks like I'll be staying up way past my bed time to start the next one!

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (morethanfairytales) | 115 comments Has anyone seen the film that was based on the first book of this series? How did it hold up? (No *major* spoilers, please – I’m trying to figure out if I should read the books before going to see the movie.)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) I loved the first book and the movie. I am going to buy it as soon as it comes out, I loved it that much. Right now I am reading book two, and I am really enjoying it so far.

nadine (abooknomad) I love this book series it's one of my favourite!
I just love the plot and the action and of course Rose and Dimitri's romance. The whole series is so full of humour and unexpected twists.

As for the movie... I frigging loved it. It was such a surprise! The trailer made it sound so silly and foolish, imo. But it's not the case at all! I really liked the new additions and changes in the plot, they made sense and were completely reasonable, overall it was a great adaptation to the big screen!!!

Autumn (autumnmemory80) I just finished Frostbite, and now I cannot wait to start the third. I have so many other books to read, but I want to read that one!

Bread (etchmaymay) | 30 comments I adored this series! I haven't seen the movie yet but the books were amazing and I would totally reread them!

Autumn (autumnmemory80) I'll say the same thing I said earlier today on FB. This series officially owns me. I have the entire series, and am reading them. I saw the movie in theaters, bought the Blu ray (on back order) and rented the movie from the Redbox tonight. It owns me, and I do not hate them for it.

message 31: by Sami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sami | 13 comments I love this series!! I too thought, " Not another vampire series" before I started and was definitely pleasantly surprised. I think it helped that it wasn't a typical (view spoiler) but rather a whole world created around vampires themselves with little human interaction. Definitely my favourite vampire series.

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Oh, girls. I just finished book three and I am crushed. My heart actually hurts a little. I did not cry, but I probably could have. Starting book four tomorrow...

Paola i've already read all of the books on this series, and seriously, i loved them all. I think everyone at the beginning said "oh, another vampire book" or maybe "is this a lesbian book?" (a friend told me that) but they are so good, the way rose protects lisa and how she grows on the process, just perfect.

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments I am reading Blood Promise I didn't like how the last book ended I hope for happier things in this one.

message 35: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 2 comments One of my favorite vampire books if all time!! I read them a few years back and still remember them! That doesn't happen often!
So much better than twilight in my opinion! Just saying...

Jessica This series, hands down is one of the best I've read. I remember first reading the description of Vampire Academy and thinking "Ok, it sounds somewhat interesting." That was a while ago. Since then I've read all the books and easily remember how excited I would get when I started a new chapter. That joy I felt wasn't something many books gave me, but these did.

Maryam Dinzly (maryamdinzly) I love this series, but I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, because I'm currently stucked :( Couldn't find Shadowkissed anywhere :( Suggestions anyone?

message 38: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (erinsbookshelf) Maryam wrote: "I love this series, but I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, because I'm currently stucked :( Couldn't find Shadowkissed anywhere :( Suggestions anyone?"

I'd check for any online PDFs of the copy! Maybe also try a local library.

I really liked the series, but yeah, at the beginning, it was very slow. The main reason why I liked it so much is because vampires are shown in such a different way. As much as it plays on myths, it's not your typical vampire novel.

message 39: by Adi (new)

Adi Mandal (Adimandal) | 12 comments I agree, this was enjoyable for me too.

Tammie Tackett this book is so good

message 41: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Whitewolf | 10 comments Lauren wrote: "VA Series was amazing!
& come on, how did anyone not fall in l..."

Agreed! Adrian is the ultimate bad boy! I didn't enjoy the series based on him alone after quite as much, but VA was definitely a must read!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this series faster than I have read any other book series. I even read the sequel book series Bloodlines because I wanted to see more of the characters.

Safe to say, I love this series!