The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1)
This topic is about Twilight
526 views
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments This is a discussion where you can talk about anything related with The Twilight Saga


message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Pavkovich | 22 comments the series looks interesting but, I've had several people tell me it's all about Bella obsessing over how cute the two guys are. I could do without that.


message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice | 13 comments I'm going to be honest, I haven't read a whole book of the series. I tried, I was in the library one day, bored out of my mind, and decided to give it a try. I read about 10 pages and I had to put it down and go re read the first Harry Potter book to clear my head.

I'm NOT trying to compare the two series, please don't think so.

I think Twilight just isn't for me. I can't write a real and fair review because I barely read anything, but I just couldn't read it anymore.


message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 4682 comments I read the first book, but wasn't interested enough to read the others. Definitely not one of my favorite series. I also saw the first two movies, but couldn't bring myself to have any interest in the others. Yes, Jeff, there is a HUGE love triangle. That took away from the rest of it for me.


Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments I read the books and watched the movies, but I am not a big fan. It's definitely not the best series out there, I don't think it's unbearable either, I just think it's not for everyone.


message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 4682 comments I agree Laura. I know people that loved it. It just wasn't for me. I found certain parts interesting, but I couldn't get past the love triangle (and I'm not a huge Kristen Stuart fan..).


Patricia Hargraves | 94 comments Twilight Series is like McDonalds French Fries, you know there is absolutely zero value but you easily become addicted.


message 8: by Dustin (new)

Dustin (dalittlestelf) I can see why the series draws certain people but for me I'm just not a huge fan of Stephanie Meyers writing style. I tried to read twighlight but I didn't make it thought the first chapter. I did read The Host and it was pretty good but still really hard to get through


Patricia Hargraves | 94 comments Yeah, she is not my favorite writer by any means and I think she ripped off the premise for Twilight from The Sookie Stackhouse Series. Whatever, it's entertaining anyway.


Terri (terrilovescrows) | 18 comments I read the first one and saw the movies, and it was fun but I hated the sparkling and Bella's pining. I love that it inspired a lot more kids to read.


Kim  Graham (kimgraham36) | 24 comments I feel that at least Meyers' writing style improved with each book. However, I feel that the series was too drawn out. I enjoyed them while I was reading them, but looking back on the series as a whole, I would have been fine never reading them. However, I preferred this series to Fifty Shades!


message 12: by Alma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alma | 24 comments Jeff wrote: "the series looks interesting but, I've had several people tell me it's all about Bella obsessing over how cute the two guys are. I could do without that."

hahhaha :) :)


message 13: by Alma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alma | 24 comments I've never read anything about vampires and/or werewolves before, but I found the series entertaining. Not my style, but it's still highly commercial I guess.


message 14: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren (originally_elle) | 250 comments Ive read the books and seen the movies as well. In the end Im a fan of neither.
I heard such great things about the books that I bought the entire series on good faith that so many people couldn't be wrong but it's just not for me.
1. Edward truly came off as a creepy stalker... He was so intense & possessive that he gave me the heebie jeebies, lol.
2. Even though the initial description of Bella endeared her to me (her awkward, klutzy ways are mirror to my sister) as the series went on I could barely stomach her irrational dependency on the boy who pretty much stalks her!
& lastly 3. Jacob imprinting on Renessme was... ridiculous. Seriously. It was an easy & obvious plot twist to bring about the big Happily Ever After.

Sorry. Im just not a fan. But I do like reading the reasons behind why others are :)


message 15: by Taral (new)

Taral | 6 comments Patricia i totally agree with you on that one. I hate twilight but its addictive


message 16: by Dustin (new)

Dustin (dalittlestelf) I honestly wish I could find a decent vampire series were the romance isn't the biggest part of the story. Is it so much to ask for a vampire series with a complex hierarchy, different types of vamps, and interesting dilemmas of being immortal and burning in the sun WITHOUT ten chapters on how the guys look?


Nelly I went through a phase in which I LOVED this book, and then my opinion quickly changed. I had always hated the character of Bella - her complete dependence on Edward and her completely irrational decisions - like when she jumped off a cliff to see her ex-boyfriend again, that's just a bit insane! I also didn't like the relationship of Edward and Bella - I much preferred Jacob, as he was less possessive, and more fun! The thing I hate the most about the book are the sincerely creepy messages it is giving out about relationships - the idea that a boy sneaking into your house and watching you sleep is true love just really weirds me out, and I hate how pathetic Bella is!


Jennifer | 32 comments Ugh! I can't stand this series. Blah. To me the books are narrated by a whiny teenager who is a spoiled brat who falls in love with a control freak of a boyfriend. Vampires donot sparkle and the wolf pack was way more interesting. Lol. No, but seriously the series is horrible.


Susana | 52 comments Kristie wrote: "I agree Laura. I know people that loved it. It just wasn't for me. I found certain parts interesting, but I couldn't get past the love triangle (and I'm not a huge Kristen Stuart fan..)."

When you say "Kristen Stewart" do you mean the actual person or Bella because Bella is someone completely different from Kristen Stewart. I don't blame you if you confused them (or maybe you didn't) I sometimes do that too :)


Susana | 52 comments I completely disagree.I don't know if it's because I'm a teenager, but I really enjoyed the series and I want to say that part of my love for it has to do with the fact that I read the book before crazy girls started going gaa gaa over the movie. That's part of the reason why the Twilight series is under my "book society ruined" shelf. I've read the whole series twice already and I still love it. I will try reading it at different ages and see how my point of view changes. After reading the books the second time, I realized that it wasn't so much that I hated Jacob-I hated Bella. So I do agree with those who see how truly pathetic she is, but I don't think Edward should be completely blamed for her behavior.


Shpresa Aliu The books aren't extremely horrible, I've read worse. However in no way are they amazing books either. Immature, ridiculous, roll-my-eyes, exasperating ... Definitely! The movies suck and the whole imprinting and sparkling thing is really cringe-worthy! I recommend Anne Rice books, they are rich and in-depth. This whole teenage, awkward, depressed, girl thing is really tiring and overrated!


message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 14, 2013 04:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 4682 comments Susana wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I agree Laura. I know people that loved it. It just wasn't for me. I found certain parts interesting, but I couldn't get past the love triangle (and I'm not a huge Kristen Stuart fa..."

No, I meant Kristen Stewart. (Sorry, just realized I spelled her name wrong last time!) I just don't think she's a great actress. But again, that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure there are people that love her. And I loved her way back when she did Panic Room. I had high hopes for her, but I think it's so difficult to get a sense for what she's supposed to be feeling as the character.


message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 4682 comments Red Solo Cup wrote: "She also did really bad in the Snow White movie"

Unfortunately...


message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 4682 comments Red Solo Cup wrote: "Yep and I was actually looking forward to seeing that movie. The queen was awesome though"

I agree. I was so disappointed that she got that part. I think it's because she was still coming off the Twilight craziness. There's supposed to be a part 2 and I think she's already signed on for that one too. *Sigh*

(Not that this has anything to do with Twilight really. Sorry all...)


message 25: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren (originally_elle) | 250 comments id heard that she wasn't going to be in the upcoming movie. i hope not! im really not her biggest fan.


message 26: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan (dan2345) | 2 comments I hate Twilight with a passion! That's why I started this group...

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/9...


Payal | 46 comments twilight was sadly the first series i ever read and i reallllyyy did not like it. bella is so obsessed and edward is so creepy and the whole thing is so damn melodramatic that i would have died of melodrama if it was possible to die of it. (no offense :p)


Susana | 52 comments Kristie wrote: "Susana wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I agree Laura. I know people that loved it. It just wasn't for me. I found certain parts interesting, but I couldn't get past the love triangle (and I'm not a huge Kr..."

I agree. I feel like her acting is like looking for something in mud. It's all murky and you don't even know what emotion she is suppose to be showing. In part, I thought this was because Bella is like that she's sort of monotone, but for the comments I've read in this discussion about her acting in Snow white (and her hook-up...why is Robert still with her)it seems to have nothing to do with the character, but with her.


Megan | 29 comments I loved Twilight when it first came out, years ago. But at the time, it was really my first venture into the urban fantasy realm, so I was enchanted because it was something different. I didn't have much else to compare it to. I don't disagree with any of the criticisms of the series. Yes, Bella's boring and annoying. Yes, Edward's a control freak (although, compared to some other male leads in UF/PNR he's a kitten). Yes, sparkly vampires are weird.

I imagine if I were to re-read it now, after all of the other stuff I've read from the same genre, I would probably feel differently. But I can't hate it because it turned me on to a genre that brings me tons of enjoyment now. :)


message 30: by Tee (new) - rated it 1 star

Tee It just sucks.
The writing is bad.
The lead female protagonist has no redeeming qualities.
The antagonists are boring.
And it's borderline dangerous for any two people to be so obsessed with each other. That's not love, that's stalking.


message 31: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan (dan2345) | 2 comments You guys are complaining about how much you hate Twilight, I wish you would join my group, VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE.


Bianca (chaoslovesorder) The writing wasn't the best in the world but I think the characters had potential- I mean before the movies came out and everyone got obsessed with the sexy or cute sides of things. I think Edward had the potential to be one of those really amazing characters (even with the weird sparkling) as did Jacob but somehow they went from these deep meaningful characters to being part of a crappy afternoon soap opera once the fame hit the Author. I think Bella needed so much more developing to become the protaganist and to grow in the books- she went from a (SPOILER) whiny human to a whinier vampire.(/END SPOILER)

I did like the series to a degree but I honestly can't say I hated it. I don't like how the fans make everything shallow and I don't like how the movies were just so... Hollywood. I feel that both the fans and movies affected how I enjoyed the books- I mean I only ever watched the first one due to it being so disappointing.


Sharon | 1 comments Bianca, well summarised. The whole Twilight series did have potential but it was ruined by all the hype. I read the books just before the Twilight movie was released and the movies spoiled by view on the characters.


message 34: by CL (new) - rated it 4 stars

CL Megan wrote: "I loved Twilight when it first came out, years ago. But at the time, it was really my first venture into the urban fantasy realm, so I was enchanted because it was something different. I didn't hav..."

I completely agree!! When I read this series for the first time years ago I was entranced. That was before all the hype and before the movies. This series is the series that got me more into reading and even today I am still glad that I read it. If I were to reread it now I know that I probably wouldn't like it as much but I'm still glad that I read it. This book opened me up to the world of reading and now I have seen how much better books can be.


message 35: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina | 3 comments I really liked this series. The books were much better than the movies.


message 36: by Sara (new) - rated it 1 star

Sara I read the book around a year or two ago and thought ahhh so I read the second and third and forth.the forth book was the biggest dissapointment ever known to humanity. The book didnt end with a fight between the vultori and the cullens like what was that. I also hate how there was no epilouge. How can you finish a book without an epilough.its like finishing a sentence without a full stop.


message 37: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Milia | 8 comments I read all of the books in like a week when I first started reading the series. The series was one of my first journeys into paranormal fiction so I still find the series to be good. I agree that a lot of the writing is immature, also the ending is terrible... it just sucks, let's be honest. I don't read the 2nd book though cause it just depresses me and I think its pointless. The reason I'm attracted to the books is because of the romance story, if it weren't there I wouldn't have read it. Also, the movies were horrific what with the terrible acting and all...but I have to mention that I did watch the rest of the movies for two reasons: to see the portrayal of the characters/events, and to see beautiful half-naked 'wolves'.... :P hehe


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the whole Saga nearly 10 times and am still so fascinated with it....Its awesome and for me, the main attraction is Edward Cullen. He's the only reason why I've read the books so many times...


Joanne Laura wrote: "I read the books and watched the movies, but I am not a big fan. It's definitely not the best series out there, I don't think it's unbearable either, I just think it's not for everyone."

That is really well said. They are not the best written books either. That being said I enjoyed them.


message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 21, 2013 07:00PM) (new)

Joanne wrote: "Laura wrote: "I read the books and watched the movies, but I am not a big fan. It's definitely not the best series out there, I don't think it's unbearable either, I just think it's not for everyon..."

You took the words right out of my mouth...they are poorly written...but I still have the series and enjoy it. I'm not a hard core twilight fan...I'm a twilighter is that what you call a anti-fan and a fan of it?


Olubukola Adeniji | 1 comments I'm no fan of Stephanie Meyer, she isn't so good but I think the twilight series was sweet.


message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Olubukola wrote: "I'm no fan of Stephanie Meyer, she isn't so good but I think the twilight series was sweet."

Yeah me too. :) I like the movies and some scenes in the books.


message 43: by Bread (new) - added it

Bread (etchmaymay) | 30 comments I loved this boom series emphasis on book! I mean the movies missed all the key points of the books! I was expecting a really great movie and it was not to expectation! The books were wonderous though!


message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Same here. Just like with Percy Jackson! The movie was a total flop, and the books were amazing!


Kristine (freyatink) | 9 comments I liked Twilight. Sucked me in (hahaha sucked). I view the books as cream puffs; nutritionally I get nothing from them. The books are just a mind-candy indulgence. They are a nice balance to the meatier things I might read.

Moreover, I would like to add that I had a hard time seeing what Edward saw in Bella. She's a teenage girl. He's been around awhile and mature. I didn't get it. Reading "Midnight Sun" on Meyer's website helped me get it so I started to like the books because of Edward. Bella grew on me. Jacob was a whiney, pain in the ass teenager-- he never grew on me.

Over and out


message 46: by Darren (new)

Darren (renzamudio) | 9 comments I'm not a hater, but I just don't like Twilight. The story, the book and the movie... I don't understand why Twilight is mainstream for teenagers. I can't even relate with this book. Sorry but for me, there so many book which are worth it to read than this.


Joanne Darren wrote: "I'm not a hater, but I just don't like Twilight. The story, the book and the movie... I don't understand why Twilight is mainstream for teenagers. I can't even relate with this book. Sorry but for ..."

Nothing wrong with not liking them at all. I liked the series but I have to agree they took off in a way that is hard to explain they are hardly well written books.


Helene | 4 comments Dustin wrote: "I honestly wish I could find a decent vampire series were the romance isn't the biggest part of the story. Is it so much to ask for a vampire series with a complex hierarchy, different types of vam..."

i think anne rice's "the vampire lestat" and "interview with a vampire" would meet those needs


message 49: by Amee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amee | 99 comments I love Twilight


message 50: by Amee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amee | 99 comments I love James Patterson's book.


« previous 1
back to top