The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

The Hunger Games

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sofia (Bookish Wanderess), Founder (new)

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments This is a discussion where you can talk about anything related with The Hunger Games.

message 2: by Mia (new)

Mia | 49 comments oh my, soooo excited the 2nd movie is coming out in November and I can't wait to see how they do the clock.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 18 comments Really enjoyed the first book, still need to read the rest.

message 4: by Beladora (new)

Beladora (kylothccemsren_) | 3 comments I enjoyed the HUNGER GAMES trilogy.
Can't wait for the second movie coming out soon, FINNICK ODAIR' Gorgeous. Aaaaaahhhhhhh.........

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice | 13 comments I really liked the books. The movie was enjoyable as well, but I think a bit confusing (If I hadn't read the books, there would be a lot of information missing for me). Overall it's great (:

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4598 comments I loved this series. I loved that Katniss was much more interested in survival and family than her love triangle. I usually hate love triangles, because they are so shallow, but this one was on the sidelines and still had so much depth due to the history of the characters. I felt that Suzanne Collins did a great job of drawing you into the story. Oh, and I know some people weren't crazy about the ending of the series, but I loved it.

I think the first book was better than the movie, but I almost always think the books are better than the movies. Still, I'm excited to see the second installment this fall. I hope they keep the trilogy in three movies and don't try to break up into four, as is the trend right now.

message 7: by Alma (new)

Alma | 24 comments I've read all three books and watched the first movie, and I have to say the movie didn't disappoint. I loved the first book, just the whole idea was absolutely new to me (didn't read Koushun Takami's Battle Royale) but my favorite moment in the whole series was the ending - beautifully written.

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice | 13 comments Kristie wrote: "I loved this series. I loved that Katniss was much more interested in survival and family than her love triangle. I usually hate love triangles, because they are so shallow, but this one was on the..."

I don't remember where I've read it, but I'm pretty sure there are going to be 4 books /: I'd prefer if they made 3, but the last book has lots of events, so I kind of understand why.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim  Graham (kimgraham36) | 24 comments Reading this series, I honestly almost found it hard to believe it was a YA series. I enjoyed it immensely and found that the movie adaptation was very on point to the book. Unlike Twilight, I found the character casting to be perfect.

message 10: by Pilar (new)

Pilar (pilard) | 11 comments I really liked the trilogy and, in my opinion, Catching Fire was the best book. However, I was extremely disappointed w the third book 'Mockingjay' and I really cant regard it as part of the trilogy overall. The third book just did not make any sense :/

message 11: by Patty (new)

Patty (pepperrn) | 64 comments Pilar wrote: "I really liked the trilogy and, in my opinion, Catching Fire was the best book. However, I was extremely disappointed w the third book 'Mockingjay' and I really cant regard it as part of the trilog..."

i agree with you. the last book was way out there on what happened in the capital. it didnt follow the story IMO

message 12: by Leniw (new)

Leniw | 7 comments I totally agree! The last book was the worst although it started pretty well. On the other hand i really liked the ending. I found it realistic. After these kind of events, when thousands have died, there can't be an actual happy ending.

message 13: by Nelly (new)

Nelly I liked the first book, but I thought it all went downhill from there. I think the third book was the worst, and really confusing at times - I would sometimes have to go back and reread bits because her attempts at using metaphors meant the actual point got lost. My favourite character was Finnick Odair - I LOVED HIM!

message 14: by Sky (last edited Mar 12, 2013 03:59PM) (new)

Sky (skyswriting) Now this one I loved =) Not sure if I will watch the second movie though...They left out a lot of necessary plot keys out of the first one =/ I tried to walk in to the first one with low expectations and pretend it was a different story. The movie wasn't horrible, but just left me disappointed.

message 15: by Sky (new)

Sky (skyswriting) I enjoyed the characters they picked, though Josh had to grow on me as Peeta, but blegh what made me love the Hunger Games books, was litterally, totally out of the movie lol. I kept throwing whispers at my man, "this is what actually happened bla bla bla." got to the point where I was like, "Okay.. you know what, I am just gona have to force you to read this, ignore this movie." lolol.. I really wanted him to see how great of a story it was. Shame the movie did no justice at all =((

message 16: by Rameela (Star) (new)

Rameela (Star) (starshynebrite) HUNGER GAMES IS MY OBSESSION XD
NELLY: FINNICK IS MINE!!!!! XD XD XD !!!!

Check out this CF pic that I absolutely LOVE : http://i2.cdnds.net/13/10/618x916/mov...

message 17: by HZar (new)

HZar Worth | 66 comments Uncle Denny, this was the book we mentioned. The Canarsie Flash

message 18: by Sky (new)

Sky (skyswriting) Jennifer was perfect for the casting of Katniss. I will mention that, and Gale. I loved all of them really besides Josh. Am I going to get egged for admitting that now?

message 19: by Sky (new)

Sky (skyswriting) lmao nicer way of putting it! He just didn't have that boyish yet handsome look.

message 20: by Mia (new)

Mia | 49 comments I thought Josh did really well, not exactly how o imagined him. but still ridiculously handsome;)

message 21: by Dustin (new)

Dustin (dalittlestelf) I have to agree that mockingjay was very disappointing. The last 3-4 chapters I had to put the book down a few times and be like "woah woah woah, what just happened?" Then try and find the explanation that wasn't there. I also hated how in the first movie they had everything with rue happen within five minutes. There was no build up to her death. It was just like "hi I'm rue! Oh wait now I'm dead"

message 22: by Rameela (Star) (new)

Rameela (Star) (starshynebrite) YEAH! I agree! I didn't like Mockingjay, mostly cause she killed off all of the characters that were really awesome! (cough Finnick cough)
Is it sad that I didn't really cry (except for Finnick!) ? It was all just so abrupt.

In my opinion, CF was the best because of the arena, but Hunger Games had the most plot stuff.

And I love Josh Hutcherson, but the very first time I watched the movie (midnight show!) I couldn'ts top laughing at Josh's facial expressions like when he was crying or when he was telling Katniss to run after the tracker jacker scene.
Also, the tracker jacker scene wasn't as awesome as I hoped it would be!

And I personally liked Cato :/

message 23: by Mia (new)

Mia | 49 comments I was so shocked by finnicks death I didn't cry I kept reading and cried a few chapters later when it sunk in... so weird:/

message 24: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (littlenatalie) Love!

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 32 comments Sorry guys, but I could not muster up the interest to even read this series. My daughter and my husband both read all three books, but I just did not like the concept I guess. I had a problem with kids killing kids and I understand what the author was trying to convey, but it was a no go for me. :(

message 26: by Shobana (new)

Shobana Elango | 27 comments Jennifer wrote: "Sorry guys, but I could not muster up the interest to even read this series. My daughter and my husband both read all three books, but I just did not like the concept I guess. I had a problem with..."

Right!! I had the same problem but I've read it!! Please dont read it or you're going to have terrible nightmares.. Its a horrible series about killing and butchering of children which is done for FUN!!

message 27: by Shobana (new)

Shobana Elango | 27 comments Natasha wrote: "Shobana,

I did read this series, and loved it, but you are very right. I would not recommend this to children or others who shy away from violent-type books. I am extremely surprised at how many..."

Really? That's unbelievable!!

message 28: by Pilar (new)

Pilar (pilard) | 11 comments I think that the Hunger Games was one of the best book adaptations I've seen. it was really hard for them to manage to do a movie that is in first person without remaining in the arena all the time. and the way the story was explain by beginning w an interview w Caesar was clever! They introduced the concept of the Capitol first. During the movie they really made the audience feel like the capitol watching the game - cheering for Katniss, crying when rue died, etc.

message 29: by Payal (new)

Payal | 46 comments this entire series was like WOWW...the totally evil type government , the totally badass-killer type rebels and the totally blow-your-mind type characters , it was all kind of really exciting and it felt real. the saddest part was when rue died and the other saddest part was when prim died and even tho it made me cry i still love the series like a crazy person!
ps- i dont know who agrees with this but i think gale is really hot:P

message 30: by Livy (new)

Livy | 13 comments Loved this series! It kept me up for nights. Peeta is probably the most real-feeling character that I've ever read.

message 31: by Rameela (Star) (new)

Rameela (Star) (starshynebrite) Red Solo Cup wrote: "I agree with all of this! I thought I was the only one! :D"

YAY!!!! XD

message 32: by John (new)

John Evans (johnlevans) | 9 comments The first few chapters of the first book were some of the best writing I have ever read. Unfortunately the quality deteriorated unit the last book was almost unreadable but I finished the series. Lawrance was well cast for Katniss but they blew it for Gale and Peeta.

message 33: by Manu (new)

Manu (manudeacha) Did everyone like the ending in Mockinjay?

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

It was definitely something I didn't see coming

message 35: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (deathserum) Manuel wrote: "Did everyone like the ending in Mockinjay?"

To be honest, I think the ending was a bit of a disappointment. I like how Peta and Katniss ended up together but I didn't like the reason for why they ended up together. I felt like they only got married because they went through so much together that no one else would understand how they feel than the other person. I feel like they only 'settled' for each other.
But it's amazing that Peeta, despite of the hijacking, got through it strong and still ended up loving Katniss despite of what he's been through. It really shows how strong Peeta's character is.

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura | 62 comments Manuel wrote: "Did everyone like the ending in Mockinjay?"

I wasn't a huge fan of Mockingjay as a whole, to be honest. I liked the other two books much better. I felt like in Mockingjay, all this interesting stuff was happening off-screen, but all we ever got to read was Katniss arguing with herself over Peeta and/or Gale. I wanted more action! I wanted to see the rebellion!

As for the very ending, I both liked it and didn't like it. I liked it in that I thought it was very realistic. Katniss would have PTSD and wouldn't get to live happily ever after, all at peace with everything. You don't go through a war and then everything is peachy keen the next day. It made sense that she still had lingering issues.

That said, it was less satisfying as a story that the main character ends up like that. As unrealistic as it is, I think readers tend to crave that happy ending for characters they care about.

message 37: by Wendy (last edited Mar 27, 2013 11:40AM) (new)

Wendy (temagami) | 54 comments I agree the first two books were good but the last was slow and not as exciting. I would have liked Katniss to have a bigger part in the rebellion that her actions instigated. I thought Peeta character was weak at the beginning and grew in strength as the books progressed, and that the reverse was true for Katniss. Throughout her life Gale had been a driving force and the one Katniss loved so it was kind of a letdown when the author coupled her with Peeta, but then the story may not have done as well with a more realistic ending.

message 38: by Gwen (last edited Mar 27, 2013 12:43PM) (new)

Gwen (gwenlienhard) | 14 comments Alice wrote: "I really liked the books. The movie was enjoyable as well, but I think a bit confusing (If I hadn't read the books, there would be a lot of information missing for me). Overall it's great (:"

I feel like it's like this with all movies. I understand they can't fit every detail in the movies but I really hate watching the movie first. If I really want to see a movie I will make sure I read the book first. The movies are never as good and I have only seen a few movies that were similar or as good as the books. What was that funny sticker I saw on here once.

description

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 5 comments I love this!! The movie's pretty cool but I would have wanted MORE sweet moments in the cave :P gleaming with hope and excitement for the 2nd movie!!!!

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily (emkathh) I read the Hunger Games and the two first books were good, but I really didn't like the third. And the movie was good too, but there were some moments where the camera was shaking too much when I really wanted to see what was going on.

message 41: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I loved these books. They got me reading again after a long break away.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Patricia wrote: "Manuel wrote: "Did everyone like the ending in Mockinjay?"

To be honest, I think the ending was a bit of a disappointment. I like how Peta and Katniss ended up together but I didn't like the reaso..."

I felt the same way about Peeta and Katniss! I was kind of hoping for some way that Katniss and Gale to end up together. Am I the only one?

message 43: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (temagami) | 54 comments Emily wrote: "I read the Hunger Games and the two first books were good, but I really didn't like the third. And the movie was good too, but there were some moments where the camera was shaking too much when I r..."

I agree...it was boring.

message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan | 29 comments Lauren wrote: "ya the whole third book was a bust. everything Collins built up personality-wise around Peeta she just blew out of the water. completely erased his personality-would've been better had she just kil..."

I didn't think Mockingjay was terrible, but compared with the first two (which were amazing), it wasn't great. The whole time I was reading it I was thinking, "Suzanne... what happened? Is this even the same series?"

Totally agree with all of your criticisms about this book. Peeta didn't seem like Peeta, and there was no closure at all for Katniss with regards to her family and Gale.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved all the books but I thought that Catching Fire was a little dryly written.

message 46: by Kirra (new)

Kirra | 12 comments This blog pretty much sums up why I hate the Hunger Games http://fiercenerditude.blogspot.com.a...

message 47: by Kim D (new)

Kim D I read all three books but I hated the 3rd. I hated the ending. The movie was ok, but I think the casting of Peeta was way off. He is actually a charming young actor but I just couldn't see him as Peeta. Overall the series was good, but I probably wouldn't have read them unless my niece begged me to.

message 48: by Neha (last edited Apr 04, 2013 08:27PM) (new)

Neha (neha71580) | 29 comments Hunger games trilogy is my favorite!!!! I just love these 3 books no matter how negative people think about them. And ofcourse i have pretty good reasons for that, whch i can't mention here because they are too long ( and i don't have any personal blog to weite my reviews..nor do i care) . By the way fans if you don't know about this then be ready for a 'teaser trailer' of Catching Fire! Eeeepp....so excited!!! http://m.mtv.com/movieawards/2013/hea...

message 49: by Aika (new)

Aika | 3 comments I already read the 3 books...cant wait for the catching fire movie..

message 50: by Julia (new)

Julia | 13 comments i love this trilogy - it's my favorite one! Actually I prefer "The hunger games" and "Mockingjay" - "Catching Fire" wasn't that good, but nevertheless, I can't wait until the movie comes out in November! :)

« previous 1