THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Getting authors to kindly return reviews

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jolynn Raymond (new)

Jolynn Raymond | 1 comments I'm not sure I can agree. When I pick a book off the shelf to buy, read it, and then post a review, I in no way feel that this obligates the author to review in return. Granted I tend to read big name authors with the short amount of time I have to read each day, but even so, I guess I never would have thought of things your way.

If I'm compelled to review (which I don't often enough), then it's because I truly enjoyed the book, want others to know how great the book was, and want to let the author know of my joy. Be the author a fellow writer, a well known writer, or even a friend, I guess if my instinct upon finishing isn't to tell others, I just wouldn't feel I should review.

I do have friends who write, but don't always read their books. It may be a time factor or that their genre isn't of interest. so I guess that no, I do not agree that reviewing should be reciprocal.

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments Reviews are for readers, not for writers...

Don't expect them,
Don't look for them. There lies the path to madness.
And don't respond to any reviews.

Good luck,

message 3: by John (new)

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 123 comments Thanks, Nick and Jolynn. I figured as much and I'm fine with that. I just wondered if anyone had any insight, so thanks for that.
This is my first book, and its a bit of a learning curve.

message 4: by John (new)

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 123 comments ok, I goofed, I tried to edit the Opening post and deleted it somehow. now this thread is messed up. My apologies to everyone.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 122 comments My first book, I made the mistake of agreeing to a mutual review. I had a lot on my plate, and didn't get around to reading the other writer's work until after he had posted a good review of mine. When I read the other book, it was basically, unedited, and had serious POV and character problems. I contacted the writer, as I couldnt in good conscience, review it. I didn't want to damage his future sales, assuming he'd fix the problems; so I offered him a full, beta report with suggestions, but he got bent outa shape, and never responded to my offer. It made me feel really bad and I was gun-shy for a while after that. Then an unexpected review came in -- it was four stars, and it made me happy, then I got an industry-recognized review from a name reviewing house that was also good. So far, I was feeling pretty confident! But after that, came a three star that pointed out several actual errors as well as POV issues, which made me wonder if the previous reviewers had actually read the book????

I did a trade with a real editor and she did a line and developmental edit which resulted in the book it should have been from the beginning! The reviews, it turns out, only muddied the water, all except the reviewer that was honest. I'll always be grateful to her. Several books since then, all professionally edited, but every once in a while, an oddball review comes in, including reviews from someone who finds issues I know were addressed in the editing. One of those turned out to be a freelance editor, so go figure.

Nick is right. You can't write for review. You have to write for yourself, make it the best you can, and then get past it and on to the next one! Best wishes for your ongoing career!

message 6: by John (new)

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 123 comments thanks Richard! yes, I'm more enlightened now and will forge ahead on volume two

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (normalgirl) | 398 comments I am an author and I read/review other authors(who else writes books????), but I would never ask for a review in return. Never. If someone is interested, fine, but not as a favor. I want my reviews to be honest not fake and phoney.

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Mortensen (kirsten_mortensen) | 14 comments Another wrinkle -- specific to Amazon reviews -- is that under their new review policy they apparently remove reviews by other authors -- to discourage the practice of trading puff reviews I suppose.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Szabo, JD, MBA (annaszabojdmba) | 26 comments I agree with Hanbah.

message 10: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) Kirsten, I'm an author and I review books by other authors (of course) and Amazon has not removed any of my reviews. I usually don't review in the specific genre in which I write, but I have reviewed in genres that are very close. And I also don't trade reviews (reciprocal reviews). I think the policy only applies to poor reviews within one's own genre.

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (normalgirl) | 398 comments Amazon has never taken down my reviews, so maybe its for authors who have also given a glowing review of your work as well.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Mortensen (kirsten_mortensen) | 14 comments @KA Some months ago there was a rash of blog posts and a handful of news articles documenting Amazon's removal of reviews by authors.

I'll grant you that it isn't a policy that Amazon is enforcing evenly. But it has happened; it has happened to people who are longtime reviewers; it has happened in instances when (according to the parties involved) the reviews were written in good faith and not under some reciprocal arrangement.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/...

http://tobecomeawriter.com/indie-auth...

http://dosomedamage.blogspot.com/2012...

message 13: by John (new)

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 123 comments this is an interesting thread, started in my own ignorance, but I have learned a great deal from it!

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Mortensen (kirsten_mortensen) | 14 comments btw, my remarks aren't a criticism of Amazon. The review system is one of their tools for sorting out books that customers will be more willing to enjoy. I don't blame them for trying to find ways to protect the system's integrity.

message 15: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) I know, I read all those blog posts, and also some other explanations. I'm just relaying my own experiences; I'd hate people to stop posting reviews just because they're afraid they might be taken down in the future.