CJ Lyons Thrillers With Heart Book Club discussion

What are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Lyons (cjlyons) | 152 comments Mod
Are you loving it? Why or why not? Should we be reading it, too?
Share your thoughts!
CJ

message 2: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Bass | 36 comments Reading Clive Barkers "Abarat". It's pretty good, I haven't read him in a very long time.

message 3: by C.J. (new)

Marcia wrote: "Reading Clive Barkers "Abarat". It's pretty good, I haven't read him in a very long time."
Wow, I haven't read him in years! Let us know what you like about it when you finish, Marcia.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments "Guilt" by Jonathan Kellerman - love his books and characters - even his dog.

message 5: by C.J. (new)

Linda wrote: ""Guilt" by Jonathan Kellerman - love his books and characters - even his dog."

Linda, I haven't read him in a while--they were getting too predictable...what's different about this one? I used to love his books.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) I am half way through "The clouds Roll Away" by Sibella Giorello. I am finishing this book before I read any others because this book has been preempted a couple times for "book discussion" books.

message 7: by C.J. (new)

Brenda wrote: "I am half way through "The clouds Roll Away" by Sibella Giorello. I am finishing this book before I read any others because this book has been preempted a couple times for "book discussion" books."

Brenda, I haven't heard of Sibella--love the title, though! Are you enjoying it?

message 8: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Keller | 14 comments Just finished Stigma by Philip Hawley.

message 9: by C.J. (new)

Dwayne wrote: "Just finished Stigma by Philip Hawley."

Dwayne, I love Philip's stuff! Wish he'd write faster!!!
Did you enjoy Stigma? How would you rate it?

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (shsimko) | 4 comments Currently reading the literary equivalent of popcorn - A Hidden Witch by Debora Geary. To me, popcorn isn't a bad term, it just means light and fluffy and not too filling. :) I'm under a heavy workload in my position right now so don't have the mental stamina to deal with heavier subjects.

A Hidden Witch which follows A Modern Witch is light urban fantasy. I find I tend to retreat to light urban fantasy when I'm stressed. OTOH, I'm also anxious to get back to the medical and procedural thrillers I so love along with horror and science fiction.

message 11: by C.J. (new)

Susan wrote: "Currently reading the literary equivalent of popcorn - A Hidden Witch by Debora Geary. To me, popcorn isn't a bad term, it just means light and fluffy and not too filling. :) I'm under a heavy ..."

Don't you love that there's always a book out there to fit our mood? No need to judge--if it's transporting you into another world and leaving you feeling satisfied, then it's a good book!

I haven't read much urban fantasy, but lately have been enjoying YA paranormal/fantasy--latest is Peculiars, a steampunk/fantasy...

message 12: by Bdmink (new)

Bdmink | 4 comments I just finished "Suspect"by Robert Crais. I had a hard time putting the book down, go so involved with the dog, Maggie, I had to find out what happened.

message 13: by C.J. (new)

Bdmink wrote: "I just finished "Suspect"by Robert Crais. I had a hard time putting the book down, go so involved with the dog, Maggie, I had to find out what happened."

It's on my to-be-read list and I can't wait, I've heard so many good things about this book!

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (shsimko) | 4 comments I read just about everything. It depends upon my workload at the office and my mood what I grab off the shelves though if I'm traveling, it has to be on my kindle. If not, I want a *real* book in my hands. Then again, I'm also a collector and currently own ~3k books much to my s.o.'s chagrin. He tells everyone his next wife is going to collect feathers, not books. :)

There is a lot of great YA fiction being published these days. Since I do like steampunk, I'm going to have to check out Peculiars. One that still resonates with me though I read it eons ago is Robin McKinley's Sunshine.

Some of my favourite steampunk is Kage Baker's Nell Gwynne books. I will admit to them also making me sad since I know there will be no more....

message 15: by William (new)

William Sewell | 2 comments I just finished Lee Child's Wanted Man. Another good Reacher book. After 16 books, Jack's an old friend and I like discovering the characters he runs into. I'm working getting that kind of appeal into my own writing.

message 16: by C.J. (new)

Susan wrote: "I read just about everything. It depends upon my workload at the office and my mood what I grab off the shelves though if I'm traveling, it has to be on my kindle. If not, I want a *real* book in..."

Haven't read either of those, I'll have to check them out! So many books...so little time!

message 17: by C.J. (new)

William wrote: "I just finished Lee Child's Wanted Man. Another good Reacher book. After 16 books, Jack's an old friend and I like discovering the characters he runs into. I'm working getting that kind of appea..."

You can't go wrong with an iconic character like Reacher!

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan (shsimko) | 4 comments One of my favourite action characters in a urban fantasy/paranormal/horror series is Repairman Jack from F. Paul Wilson's long running series. I've been reading the series since the first one was published.

I've often said I want to be Repairman Jack when I finally grow up! :)

message 19: by C.J. (new)

Susan wrote: "One of my favourite action characters in a urban fantasy/paranormal/horror series is Repairman Jack from F. Paul Wilson's long running series. I've been reading the series since the first one was ..."

Oh yes, love those--I think LEGACY is one of my favs...

message 20: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Parker (kdparker) | 2 comments I just started reading "Raylan," by Elmore Leonard. I love his books for the most part, but this one is a little more stylized than his other works, and I think it gets in the way of the story. It's got a pretty interesting premise, though. I guess criminals can make right much money selling body parts!

message 21: by C.J. (new)

K.D. wrote: "I just started reading "Raylan," by Elmore Leonard. I love his books for the most part, but this one is a little more stylized than his other works, and I think it gets in the way of the story. It'..."

KD, is that based on an episode of Justified? I remember they were stealing kidneys...I actually tackle the real life tissue trade in my August book, HOLLOW BONES...it's spooky and fascinating and going on right now!

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan (shsimko) | 4 comments One of the craziest real life stores I've read in recent times is of Michael Mastromarino of Philadelphia. Here's some what of a summary of the story: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21140879/#....

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Chant (cchant) I just finished "Dying to Tell" by Rita Herron and I'm now reading the prequel short story to it that I didn't know about until now.

For some reason Dying to Tell hasn't been been getting a lot of stars here on GR, but I loved it. It kept me turning the pages and wondering "whodunit" and kept me guessing, so for me that's a good book. I don't like books where I can figure out the ending before it happens. :-)

message 24: by C.J. (new)

Catherine wrote: "I just finished "Dying to Tell" by Rita Herron and I'm now reading the prequel short story to it that I didn't know about until now.

For some reason Dying to Tell hasn't been been getting a lot o..."

Does sound good, Catherine! I'm sure Rita would appreciate it if you left a review and shared your thoughts.

message 25: by C.J. (new)

Susan wrote: "One of the craziest real life stores I've read in recent times is of Michael Mastromarino of Philadelphia. Here's some what of a summary of the story: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21140879/#......."

Yes, I used that--and there's more in depth research from the center for investigative journalism, check this out:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...

message 26: by Lavada (new)

Lavada (kraftyvada) | 39 comments I an reading From the Heart 3 complete Hart and Drake Thrillers on my kindle. My first books were the Lucy Guardino trilogy that I loved and ordered these! Thank you!

message 27: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Parker (kdparker) | 2 comments C.J. wrote: "K.D. wrote: "I just started reading "Raylan," by Elmore Leonard. I love his books for the most part, but this one is a little more stylized than his other works, and I think it gets in the way of t..."

KD, is that based on an episode of Justified? I remember they were stealing kidneys...I actually tackle the real life tissue trade in my August book, HOLLOW BONES...it's spooky and fascinating and going on right now!

You know, CJ, believe it or not, because of my job I've never seen "JUSTIFIED," but you're probably right. It's about stealing kidneys... HOLLOW BONES sounds good by the way!

message 28: by C.J. (new)

K.D. wrote: "C.J. wrote: "K.D. wrote: "I just started reading "Raylan," by Elmore Leonard. I love his books for the most part, but this one is a little more stylized than his other works, and I think it gets in..."

Thanks! My editor loved it--it's such a dark subject that I made sure the rest of the book was fun...it will be out in August.

message 29: by C.J. (new)

Lavada wrote: "I an reading From the Heart 3 complete Hart and Drake Thrillers on my kindle. My first books were the Lucy Guardino trilogy that I loved and ordered these! Thank you!"

Lavada, thanks so much! You made my day with your kind words! I'm thrilled that you're enjoying Lucy and Hart/Drake!

message 30: by Diana (new)

Diana Huffer | 7 comments I'm reading "Magic Terror" by Peter Straub. Several short stories that are really good reads! :)

message 31: by C.J. (new)

Diana wrote: "I'm reading "Magic Terror" by Peter Straub. Several short stories that are really good reads! :)"

I think my attention span is getting shorter, but as I get older, I enjoy short stories more and more...will have to check it out!

message 32: by Diana (new)

Diana Huffer | 7 comments I'm not sure if it's my attention span or just the fact that the only real time I have to read is at night after my hectic days -- I think my need for sleep interferes! ~LOL~

message 33: by C.J. (new)

Diana wrote: "I'm not sure if it's my attention span or just the fact that the only real time I have to read is at night after my hectic days -- I think my need for sleep interferes! ~LOL~"

Exactly! And since everything is wrapped up quickly, they're great bedtime reading...

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 30 comments C.J. wrote: "Are you loving it? Why or why not? Should we be reading it, too?
Share your thoughts!
CJ"

I've just finished Black Sheep. Thanks CJ for another great book! I'm beginning Without Options by Trevor Scott, no thoughts on that one yet. I've not yet read anything from him.

message 35: by C.J. (new)

Kathy wrote: "C.J. wrote: "Are you loving it? Why or why not? Should we be reading it, too?
Share your thoughts!
CJ"

I've just finished Black Sheep. Thanks CJ for another great book! I'm beginning Without Opti..."

Thanks, Kathy! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed BLACK SHEEP! Let us know how the Trevor Scott turns out...

message 36: by William (new)

William Sewell | 2 comments Not to be outdone, I just picked up Snake Skin (am I sucking up?)for my first outing with Lucy Guardino.

message 37: by Jack (new)

Jack Hawkins | 1 comments Currently reading the fifth instalment of "A song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R.Martin Wow! so i'll be out of action for a while. Need to do this before watching the two series of "a Game of Thrones" After the fourth instalment had to visit my Opthalmologist
who suggested I increase the font size on my kindle.
Black Sheep awaits my return.

message 38: by C.J. (new)

Jack wrote: "Currently reading the fifth instalment of "A song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R.Martin Wow! so i'll be out of action for a while. Need to do this before watching the two series of "a Game of Thron..."

Wow, Jack! Talk about immersing yourself in a world--I love that!!! have fun!

message 39: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Keller | 14 comments Dwayne wrote: "Just finished Stigma by Philip Hawley."

Yes, CJ, I did enjoy it. He had some twists I didn't see coming. I have to see what else he has out there.

message 40: by C.J. (new)

William wrote: "Not to be outdone, I just picked up Snake Skin (am I sucking up?)for my first outing with Lucy Guardino."

Hope you enjoy it, William! Lucy is who I aspire to be if I ever grow up, lol! Although she does make her fair share of mistakes along the way...
Happy reading!

message 41: by Pernette (new)

Pernette (kaitlynspet) | 45 comments I have read most of your books and am now reading The Shoemaker's Wife. Not a thriller but certainly good reading.

message 42: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 43 comments Just finished "You Don't Want To Know" by Lisa Jackson. It was awesome!

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 30 comments C.J. wrote: "Kathy wrote: "C.J. wrote: "Are you loving it? Why or why not? Should we be reading it, too?
Share your thoughts!
CJ"

I've just finished Black Sheep. Thanks CJ for another great book! I'm beginnin..."

Trevor Scott is now on my list of authors. Without Options is an action filled spy novel.

message 44: by C.J. (new)

Sounds like I'll have to add some of these to my To-Be-Read pile! Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm getting ready to start PANIC by Sharon Draper--has anyone read it?
Panic by Sharon M. Draper

message 45: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne | 15 comments Reading 'Never Go Back' by Robert Goddard. Not truly immersed yet, I must admit. Am also reading 'The Sonnet Lover' by Carol Goodman. Hmmm...

message 46: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) C.J. wrote: "Brenda wrote: "I am half way through "The clouds Roll Away" by Sibella Giorello. I am finishing this book before I read any others because this book has been preempted a couple times for "book dis..."

Yes C.J. I am enjoying the plot! I have read some very good reviews about PANIC. Hope you enjoy reading it.

message 47: by C.J. (new)

Brenda wrote: "C.J. wrote: "Brenda wrote: "I am half way through "The clouds Roll Away" by Sibella Giorello. I am finishing this book before I read any others because this book has been preempted a couple times ..."

Just started, but I loved her last book, Out of My Mind--not a thriller, but excellent read!

message 48: by Kath McStay (new)

Kath McStay | 5 comments I am reading Angelopolis, sequel to Angelology, which I loved! These books are by Danielle Trussoni and they are fantastic reads. Well researched, well written and riveting.

Well loved characters have been brought back, descriptions of place are beautifully done...

Can you tell I'm enjoying it?

message 49: by C.J. (new)

Kath wrote: "I am reading Angelopolis, sequel to Angelology, which I loved! These books are by Danielle Trussoni and they are fantastic reads. Well researched, well written and riveting.

Well loved characters..."

Love it when a book leaves you feeling like that! I'll have to check them out!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished John Verdon's "Shut Your Eyes Tight." It was masterful--very intelligent writing without being ponderous. Highly recommended. Just started Patricia Cornwell's "Predator." So far, so good.

« previous 1