Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Archive > If You Could Have Only One Book

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joan (new)

Joan | 15 comments I think it would be The Ghost and Mrs. McClure, by Alice Kimberly. It's the first one in the Haunted Bookshop mysteries, which I absolutely adore. Kimberly also writes under the name, Cleo Coyle.

Joan

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments Hands down it would be Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 399 comments Joan wrote: "I think it would be The Ghost and Mrs. McClure, by Alice Kimberly. It's the first one in the Haunted Bookshop mysteries, which I absolutely adore."

I've really enjoyed the Ghost and Mrs. McClure series. I'm currently awaiting the latest addition. I have no idea when it will get here, but I will read it.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 399 comments As for the main question... I would take The Hot Rock by Donald E. Westlake. Westlake is one of my faovorite writers of all time, his Dortmunder series in particular. The Hot Rock is the first in that series. The story is not only engaging, the writing is witty. There are times I laugh out loud at some of the situations and the way Westlake writes them. It is one of those books I can pick up anytime anywhere. I never tire of it.

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb | 682 comments I've been thinking about this question since it was first posted. I don't re-read books, unless they're for a book club discussion, so rather than take along a book I've already read, I would take the latest unread book by Steve Berry, David Baldacci, P.J. Tracy or Joseph Finder. They're my favorite non-cozy authors; I'm staying away from cozies because this is a long journey, and I read cozies too quickly :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

My choice would be Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7) by Dana Stabenow Breakup by Dana Stabenow. It is one of my favorite rereads--has it all comedy, mystery, suspense, little bit of love, Alaska, dog, murder and intrigue.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 53 comments I would take something by Kate Atkinson, one of her Jackson Brodie books (there are three so far, I think). She has so many interesting characters that each book can be reread several times and the reader will always discover something new.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 53 comments I saw that your book is set in Paris--I can't imagine anything more wonderful that wandering around France with only writing on my mind. (Well, except perhaps certain parts of India, where I set my mysteries.) Your books sounds great and I look forward to reading it.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 53 comments I used to live in Trivandrum (way back when it was a backwater), and set my mysteries there. Anita Ray is an Indian American photographer who lives in her aunt's tourist hotel. The first, Under the Eye of Kali, focuses on a murder at the resort, but the second, The Wrath of Shiva:, moves onto an old family estate. I have another one in the works but not yet sold. Anita Ray appeared in several short stories in Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and anthologies. I love writing about India and I try to pick up Indian mysteries when I'm there. Thanks for asking.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolkeck) The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (in fiction section). In mystery, anything by Louise Penny in the Inspector Gamache series. She is the best mystery author that I have read. In fantasy/science fiction, Ursula K. Le Guin. In supernatural fantasy, Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson or Raven's Shadow series and Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, although they are quick reads.

message 11: by Zana (new)

Zana Hart (zanahart) | 6 comments Nowadays I would fill my Kindle up with goodies and still just have the size of one book, but a few years ago, when we set off to roam around Mexico in a really tiny RV, I took the collected works of Jane Austen and had a blast rereading them all.