David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Shadow and Bone
Archive's > Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee (nbeewrites) Yeah hello. Why hasn't anybody thought to make a thread about this amazing book? xD

message 2: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 21 comments I need to read this. :D

message 3: by Sky (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sky (uhsky) | 276 comments I have the second but I haven't been able to get into it. I might need to go back and reread this one first.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

in a few days, i will be reading shadow and bone for the
VERY first time

★Ruth★ (ruthanne_foley) Great book, really enjoyed it.

Andrea Murray (andreamurray) | 54 comments Excellent read!

Jessica | 2 comments This was a really great book!! To me, it seemed like such a different concept! The second book is not a let done at all; it was exciting to the end, and I'm really curious what she will do in the third one :)

Jessica | 2 comments likeskylarks wrote: "I have the second but I haven't been able to get into it. I might need to go back and reread this one first."
I found that it took a little bit to get into since it had been a while since I read the first one too, but don't give up! I found that once I was able to kinda remember how the last one ended and who some of the characters were again, then it was easy to get lost in it lol!

message 9: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
I just finished this book yesterday, and I DEVOURED it!! So good, I just love a good fantasy!
I just loved Alina and Mal, and was so caught up with their story! The world building was excellent and so creative, and I also loved that while Alina was powerful, she struggled with it and it didn't come easy to her. I need to read the sequel, like NOW! I hope one of my libraries has it!

Janie (sj_ellis11) I'm definitely going to have to reread this one to read the sequel :/ I need to find time for sure!

message 11: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
This was pretty good. AMAZING last 30%, although I was bored for the middle 50%, too many YA clichés for me. It felt like a typical YA book with cafeteria scenes, makeovers and "training" (and a love triangle ugh!) But once we got past all that, I was blown away by the twists and the ending. Looking forward to the sequel :)

Caitlin (caitlinsiem) | 409 comments This book was just all kinds of wrong to me. I felt that some things she tried way too hard on and others she didn't work hard enough. For this being a new world that has nothing to do with our own it was very much influenced by Russian details. And when I'm reading a book I always focus on staying in the "writer's dream" which means you go along for the ride while reading a book and everything is believable for that book and you accept it while reading. That moment you have to stop reading and go "wait. What?" (And not in a good way) that's the moment you lose a reader, it's always harder to step back into a book after that. I had one creative writing professor who engraved that into my head and its what I look for most when reading a book. And I was pulled out of it so many times in this book. Nothing rang true in this story. I didn't believe. The end was the better part but I was so dragged down by that point that I just can't get myself to read the sequel. Also, when the author changed a word by adding a 'k' like in fabrikator, I lost my mind a little bit each time. So frustrating. I'm usually quite easy going with books but this one just rubbed be wrong.

message 13: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Hmm I had similar issues with it but then I think I was so ready for something big to happen by 70% that it shot a huge energy through me when things got going. So I did love the ending :) But yeah, I did find the Russian thing a bit strange and somewhat of a cop out when creating your own high fantasy world.

Cindee | 331 comments I am reading the second book, and the first part was great the middle is so dull that I'm having a hard time making it thru but I want to. in hopes I will be rewarded with something good again. again some great characters but the main characters are weak with a want to be strong attitude. I'm itching for a great dystopian novel, I need a break from fantasy novels. however I'm itchin' to read Bitter Kingdom. Also I signed up for the read and review I started it and I think its fantasy as well lol. just need something to break it up a bit lol.

message 15: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE BITTER KINGDOM!!!

Me thinks I need to make a thread for that series!

I had no problem with the world building in this one. My favorite thing about this book was the twists, I also loved the abilities, and how hard Alina had to work for her power. I'm hopeful for Siege and Storm, so we'll see if I like it!

Cindee | 331 comments definitely, we will need a bitter kingdom thread. before the author released the final book she had a recap of the other books on her site to refresh it for people who hadn't read them in awhile and wanted to go right into Bitter Kingdom. The Girl of Fire and Thorns was my first fantasy novel I've read and I loved it! To me its like the Hunger Games of dysrtopian lol although I'm sure there are far better Fantasy novels, I have yet to go to the standard Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings books.

Cindee | 331 comments I meant dystopian....I'm pretty sure my tablet has a mind of its own and thinks its funny to add extra letters or change words on me. well that's my story and I'm stickn' to it! lol

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

the blurb for Ruin and Rising has been revealed!!!!

The capital has fallen. The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.