YA Bookaholics discussion

Let's Chat! > MOD Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 634 (634 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Jessica  (stuckinotherworlds) | 858 comments Mod
Hey if you have any ideas on making this group better just add here or if you just want to chat! :D

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

For now, I'll add some games.

message 3: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Thanks that would be great!

message 4: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Wow Damini! Thank you so much! It's great that your adding loads of fun games! :D

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It's alright, Jess! :)
I'll be adding some more later since I'm fond of playing them. The fact is that I'm copying them from other groups, so no trouble at all! :P
Gotta go now. See you later. Take care. :)

message 6: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Kk!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, Jess, what about having threads on debates here?

message 8: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Yea great idea. I would have been online sooner but goodreads wouldn't let me sign in.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) So I think what I'll do for now is create a group improvement area, some book-related games, and maybe a "Where in the world do you live" discussion.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I know I already talked to Jess about this in the Book Suggestion thread, but should we have a poll for a March Book of the Month. I'm thinking if we get it started soon, we could get one chosen by the 15th, and then people can read and discuss that one.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

like a book club sort of thing? That would be great!

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I agree.

I'm trying to think of other things that would get people talking on this group (besides games). Any ideas. I personally think we should have a quote center, where people can share quotes from their favorite books. And in the Books! (which doesn't have anything in it yet), I though there could be different threads for different genres where members can share books of that type that they liked/disliked.

message 13: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Omg my goodreads keeps on messing up! Really annoying! @ Kaitlin I think that's a great idea do you want to do it??

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, most groups that I've ever been involved in I've been able to roleplay or write fanfiction. just being ablee to write stories with other people. if you're not interested in that sort of thing then maybe a quote center or book club! :)

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I know what you mean by goodreads messing up. It won't work on my wi-fi today, so I had to go on the pc.

Umm, you're talking about the quotes and book genres, right? I'll get right on that.

What about the BOTM idea?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I like it!

message 17: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Role play and fanfiction sound great! So making a place where people can make stories? And people can add ideas? You can set that up if you want. Quote center is great too! You can start that if you want to or I can?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got to go now. sorry!

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I'm doing the genres in the the Books! folder right now, so you can do the quotes.

message 20: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

That's okay!

message 21: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

So I'm thinking about the books for this months or next months groups reads.
- black City
- Delirium
- Shatter Me
- The Book of Blood and Shadow
Should these be the books be in the poll or do you guys recommend another book?

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I think that's good for this month's poll. For future months we can reuse some of the titles that didn't win, as well as add in others.

message 23: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

K i will make the poll. We should close the poll on the 15th?

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I think that would be a good time. It's a short time for a poll, but a BOTM would be nice to have.

message 25: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Ok!

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Does anybody have any ideas on monthly challenges (someone suggested this in the suggestions thread)? She also mentioned reading with a theme of the month (I've seen themed reads in other groups, too). I'm thinking that we could add a book that goes with a theme starting next month.

message 27: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Good Idea about the themes. Hmm about the challenges… I'll have to think about that one I don't have any ideas. :D

message 28: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

We should do a monthly trivia. Pick a subject each month and do the trivia questions on it. Then do a new one next month. What d you think?

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I like that idea. What would the trivia be on?

message 30: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Books. A different book each month. Should we do it on the same book as the group read or not?

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Awesome, I think it would be great for it to be on the group read.

message 32: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) As for the monthly challenges, we could have a suggestion thread where people suggest themes or ideas (like color of covers or genre of book) and then we pick from those ideas or we vote (like the monthly read, but for challenges where people get to pick their own books to read).

message 33: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Ok. The first trivia will be on March 15th when the poll is closed!

message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I have an idea for the monthly structure of the group. It's really long, but bear with me here.

Some of this may be a repeat of other things said, but this way it’s organized. Every month, we would have about three books of the month (BOTM), and it wouldn’t fully go into effect until next month. This month we'll have the regular book, though.

1. The regular BOTM (which starts on the 15th)- Members would make suggestions in a thread specifically for it, and we would compile them into a monthly poll for people vote on. The book with the most votes would become the first BOTM.

2. A themed BOTM- Every month, there would be a themed challenge (red covers, vampires, books with a male lead, etc.) (and we could decide if the members should vote on the theme or if the moderators choose from the suggestions). Then, we choose a book that goes with that theme. Then there would be a thread that people post which books they have read during that month that apply to that theme.

(I’ve seen other groups do monthly challenges or contests, and they verify it by asking the members to leave some sort of review (however brief) that indicates that the person has actually read the book. We don't need to do that, but its an idea. And some groups don’t allow people to count rereads towards the challenge, but I think we should.)

3. A book chosen by a member- because people usually like an incentive for challenges, we can allow the person who reads the most books for the monthly theme choose a book that they would like the group to read.

With these, we could have a discussion thread and the trivia thread, to give people something to do with each book outside of just reading it. Each month’s polls would have to take place early enough in the previous month for people to vote, and the challenge winner would pick their book at the end of the month when the challenge ends.

I think this could be a good way to keep people involved in the group and give variety to our monthly reading. So how does this sound?

message 35: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (last edited Mar 11, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

Absolutely amazing! I LOVE the ideas! This is going to be great! Who should do polls, , trivias, threads and themes??

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I'll start the threads, like the ones asking for suggestions and explaining how we choose the BOTMs. I'll create the ones for the BOTM discussions too.

message 37: by Kate (last edited Mar 11, 2013 05:21PM) (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Okay, so I got some questions:

-Should the theme itself be on a poll? And then have a poll for members to decide which book they want to read inside that theme?
-Should we ask members to leave a link to their review (which only has to be a little one that indicates that the person had read it) for a book to count for the theme challenge?
-Do we want to start this next month or should we try and fit in for the second half of March?

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to add this part about the themed challenge. I was thinking that reading the themed book could count for more points than non-BOTM points. So maybe the themed book can be worth 3 points (while the rest are only 1) and members can get 1 extra point if they participate in that book's discussion, and another extra point if they participate in the trivia. So, people could potentially get 5 points towards the challenge for reading the themed book.

Make sense?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, you guys are going amazing. \m/

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll have my exams starting tomorrow and it'll continue till 25th of March. So, I won't be able to come online and join you guys with all these activities for these couple of weeks. Spare me for this and sorry about it.:(
Good luck folks! :)

message 41: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

That makes sense. Well we only have 4 days til the 15th and not that many people can read 3 books in half a month. So I think we should start next book but you can introduce the BOTM thread and how it will work. Can I do the polls? I think we should put four themes for them to vote. Then with the winning theme we should pick four books and they vote again.

message 42: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

That's ok Damini! Good luck on the exams! :D

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Jess! :)

message 44: by Kate (last edited Mar 11, 2013 07:44PM) (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Damini, good luck on the exams.

Jess, I agree with having the challenges start next month. And you can do the polls. :)

What do you think about my other question and the points idea?

message 45: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

1. I think we should do a poll on four different themes. Then we( the moderators) pick four books based on the winning theme and do a poll for the members to decide which Themed Book they want to read that month.
2. Yea we can ask them to leave a link.

message 46: by Kate (last edited Mar 11, 2013 08:16PM) (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Okay, and how about the themed book being worth more points in the challenge?

message 47: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

That's great.

message 48: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

So what are next months themes???

message 49: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I do have a suggestion thread in the BOTM suggestion area, so members could make suggestions.

message 50: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

K.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13