What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Forever and a Day
This topic is about Forever and a Day
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. based on the poem "the highwayman" by alfred noyes [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Ce (juliace) | 69 comments Hi All - I am looking for a book I read in the mid 80's (I think).
The book is based on the poem "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. The only thing I am sure about is that the male characters name is Dante. Her name is Bess or Beth.
I think the book starts with Bess renting or inheriting a cottage in England (?) in modern times. Dante is haunting the cottage and recognizes her as his lover from when he was shot and killed in the 1700's (?). I don't know if she realizes the cottage is haunted, but I do remember that she either dreams about Dante or there is some time travel involved.
I also remember there is a stable hand (both in present time and in the past) who was obsessed with Bess. I do not remember the ending.

message 2: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 314 comments I think it is called look for me by moonlight. Mary downing Hahn wrote it

message 3: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Ce (juliace) | 69 comments Kitten wrote: "I think it is called look for me by moonlight. Mary downing Hahn wrote it"

Thanks! I'll check into it.

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Look for Me by Moonlight - for the link.

message 5: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Ce (juliace) | 69 comments Thanks Kitten & Andria, but I don't think this is it. The one thing I'm certain of is that his (the main male character) name is Dante. I'm also pretty sure it was not YA.

message 6: by Andria (last edited Mar 12, 2013 05:45PM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Forever and a Day? It has a Bess, a Highwayman named Dante, an Inn...but it was published in 1996.

message 7: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Ce (juliace) | 69 comments Thanks Andria - I'm going to check into this. It's not available on Nook or B&N, so I'm going to keep this unsolved until I can order the book and find out for sure

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments Wow, this is exactly my genre. Going to add both of these to my to-read list. :)

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
That's definitely the right book @6:

"Alfred Noyes' stirring poem, "The Highwayman," inspired this unusual book, which has appropriate lines from the poem heading each chapter. The five Fates have kept English highwayman Dante de Vere in a state that is neither life nor death for a hundred years because of his vow to find his beloved Bess, who gave up her life for him. Now, in 1878, Betina Wells comes from Wyoming Territory to claim her inheritance, an abandoned English inn; Betina has always had odd dreams and fantasies and is considered a little fey, but even she can't believe what she finds: The interior of the inn is in perfect order as if the occupants had left only five minutes before. Her companion, Phineas, her father's retired ranch foreman who is like a grandfather to her, accepts it with equanimity. Then she finds an injured man outside -- Dante de Vere, he tells her -- and she nurses him back to health...."

I would put this in SOLVED even though JuliaC has left the Group...

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 98 comments I think I'm going to read these. Loved that poem when I read it in Middle School.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

JuliaOrlando, can you confirm that Andria's suggestion was your book? Then we can move this to Solved.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Julia seems to have moved this to Solved, so I'm shelving the book.