The Wild West discussion

General > book list

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James goy i would like to see from every a list of the best westerns.you think are the best.a read challege.list of about maybe 100 books.you can list them here.i will start.
law in cottonwood by lewis b patten.pretty mush anything by ralph compton or ralph cotton,william w johnstone.ja johnstone.

message 2: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy | 3 comments Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker, anything by William and JA Johnstone; True Grit By Charles Porter; anything by Louis L'Amour

message 3: by Kaj (new)

Kaj Samuelsson | 8 comments Anything by Louis L'amour, especially the Sackett books
Paul A. hawkins, The Legend of Ben Tree
L. Ron Hubbard, Buckskin Brigades
Owen Wister, The Virginian
Zane Gray, Riders of the Purple Sage
Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove (With prequels and sequels)
Louis Masterson, Morgan Kane books
Elmer Kelton, Wagon tongue
Glendon Swarthout, The Shootist
Max Brand, pretty much anything
Marilyn Durham, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

I can add more but this was what I came to think of right now

message 4: by James (last edited Mar 29, 2013 10:20AM) (new)

James goy i have several books by william and ja johnstone,one of my favortie anuthors,also several by ralph compton and ralph cotton.also louis lamour is a favorite.

message 5: by James (new)

James goy i have read max brand.ray hogan,lewis b patten.

message 6: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 1 comments 'Shane' and many others by Jack Schaefer
'The Loneliness of the Gun' by Bryan Haven
'The Shootist' by Glendon Swarthout
'Lonesome Dove' by Larry McMurtry
'Appaloosa' by Robert B. Parker

message 7: by Josh (new)

Josh Good | 1 comments william w. Johnstone books are by far my favorite. currently reading the mountain man series.

message 8: by Chance (new)

Chance Thompson | 1 comments Robert Vaughan and Frank Roderus are my 2 current favorites.

message 9: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 1 comments The Whip by Karen Kondazian "The Whip" by Karen Kondazian is one of the most unique takes on the Western genre I have ever read. It's inspired by the true story of infamous Wells Fargo stagecoach driver Charlotte 'Charley' Parkhurst, a woman who disguised herself as a man to track the killer of her family. Although there are some intense moments of action, the book focuses more on the central character's internal journey - which defied genre expectations for me in a fresh way. I learned that Charlotte was the first known woman to vote in America in 1868 (as a man) - she is an inspiring person to read about.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim Hampton | 1 comments I read Bless the Beasts and Children by Glendon Swarthout recently and really enjoyed it. I also love anything by Zane Grey.

message 11: by Brendan (new)

Brendan O'Brien (brendanjobrien) | 5 comments Love Louis L'amour. If you're interested I have my own take on a Western available Free on Amazon right now. About two bank robbers in the old west who stumble across an ancient Aztec treasure. http://amzn.com/B00Q5LZN4Q

message 12: by Kaj (new)

Kaj Samuelsson | 8 comments Brendan wrote: "Love Louis L'amour. If you're interested I have my own take on a Western available Free on Amazon right now. About two bank robbers in the old west who stumble across an ancient Aztec treasure. ..."
Seems interesting. I'll check it out.

message 13: by Java (new)

Java Davis (javadavis) | 1 comments There Is No Otherwise, by Ardin Lalui. Amazing short story. Very evocative of everything Western.

message 14: by Brendan (new)

Brendan O'Brien (brendanjobrien) | 5 comments Thanks Kaj. Let me know what you think.

message 15: by Kaj (new)

Kaj Samuelsson | 8 comments Brendan wrote: "Thanks Kaj. Let me know what you think."

This book is really good so far.

message 16: by Brendan (new)

Brendan O'Brien (brendanjobrien) | 5 comments Great to hear! Have you reached the legend of the Phoenix yet?

message 17: by Kaj (new)

Kaj Samuelsson | 8 comments Brendan wrote: "Great to hear! Have you reached the legend of the Phoenix yet?"

I finished. A really good book.

message 18: by Brendan (new)

Brendan O'Brien (brendanjobrien) | 5 comments Hi Kaj:

Thanks for the feedback! Would you be willing to help me out? As a new Indie author I can use all the reviews I can get on Amazon. Here's the link (below) if you can find a minute to write a few words.

Many thanks!

Brendan

https://www.amazon.com/review/create-...#

message 19: by Kaj (new)

Kaj Samuelsson | 8 comments Brendan wrote: "Hi Kaj:

Thanks for the feedback! Would you be willing to help me out? As a new Indie author I can use all the reviews I can get on Amazon. Here's the link (below) if you can find a minute to wri..."

I did.

message 20: by Brendan (new)

Brendan O'Brien (brendanjobrien) | 5 comments Cheers for that. Many thanks!

message 21: by Tico (new)

Tico Tikulsky | 2 comments I just finished Empire of the Summer Moon: Emma Parker kidnapped by the visions Comanches enjoyed her life with them and her son Quannah was a powerful chief and fighter. Shame how there were millions of Buffaloes for three hundred years and now but a few .

Frankie

message 22: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 1 comments Here are my top 10 westerns
10. The Haunted Mesa
9. Deadwood
8. Dead Mans Walk
7. The ox bow incident
6. Streets of Laredo
5. Blood and Thunder
4. Hondo
3. Comanche Moon
2. Trail of Tears