Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Published Cover Overwrites and Librarian Application

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 10, 2013 09:50AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) This seems to be happening an awful lot more lately. Maybe a strongly worded checkbox or popup? Maybe a mass pm out to goodreads librarians reminding? A running daily list posted this group by an auto script whenever a cover overwritten?

Or anyone have any suggestions to help? Most of what I was coming up with hit a deadend of "they'd find a way around that."

With the large number of odd customer image uploads that are clearly not bookcovers or illegally sourced and a site bug destroying thumbnail displays so that covers have to be re-uploaded, not sure overwriting bookcovers a feature to just restrict to supers or staff (or even if a reasonable request for developers; sounds to me like a really major undertaking that would almost need bookcovers to be separate from book edit page).

I think deliberately doing authors are encouraged to do (or get done) by how long updating covers, promotions, etc. stay on goodreads before someone notices against policy and fixes (not going to change as number of books is not going to shrink). Seen promotions put in titles, book descriptions and groups-not-accepting on weekends knowing staff never used to be around which means seen for quite a few days before caught which is worth it to some even if they or a librarian account gets librarian status revoked. I'm equally sure innocently done by authors used to updating product pages or newer librarians just trying to help — but it stops being innocent when same individuals or books keep having covers overwritten even if told by pm, on the thread requesting or in a librarian note on book edit page.

I'm thinking there almost needs to be a very clear, separate warning in the librarian application process (and help topics) as I suspect some members actually apply for librarian status when they try to update book cover and are told they have to have librarian status to do so.

And a clarification more nicely worded that if you are seeking librarian status over your own books, you should claim your author profile and not apply for goodread librarian status to help with the site database.

I know new librarians are supposed to read the manual where it is clear; but, members getting librarian status just to overwrite covers versus help with goodreads database are not exactly likely to read the manual.

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 10, 2013 09:47AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) It's really frustrating when librarians doing have pm's set to friends only as they do cover after cover after cover unchecked until staff contacted.