**Elle Casey Fan Club** discussion

Kahayatle (Apocalypsis, #1)
This topic is about Kahayatle
The "Apocalypsis" Series > "Buddy Read" - Part 3 *NEW Questions*

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa Ann (ketsybaby) | 61 comments Mod
I am loving all your thoughtful and though provoking answers to the 'Buddy Read' questions so far, let's get into the 'meat' of the story with these next questions.

Answer them all or pick just one, make your answers as short or as long as you need to to get your point across. There are no wrong answers!

1. What was your first impression of Peter's story about the 'Canners'? If you were in Bryn's shoes, do you think it would be difficult to process that information?

2. Did you think that adding another mouth to feed in the form of the 'pink pooch' Buster, and possibly a noisy one, was a wise decision?

3. What were your first impressions of Bodo, did you think he was hiding something from Bryn and Peter, did he make you worry for their safety?

4. When Bryn, Peter, and Bodo come into contact with others on their way to the Everglades, were there any moments that really scared you, shocked you, or made you cry? Share some of your impressions of the kids and how they are living (or not really living) in the new reality.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for the next round of questions, you can either leave them in your post here, or send them to me in the mail. Thanks for keeping up the pace!

Mary | 17 comments 1. I though Peter's story was sad. I don't think I would have a hard time processing that information. Hunger and lack of oversight can make people do crazy things. I would have found it harder to believe that there WEREN'T any cannibals in Bryn's world.

2. I don't know if adding Buster to the group was a 'wise' decision, but it turned out for the best. I think it was a decision based more on emotion than on logic.

3. Bodo never really made me worry for their safety, though I thought he was hiding something from the start.

Rosemary (huskymom) 1. What was your first impression of Peter's story about the 'Canners'? If you were in Bryn's shoes, do you think it would be difficult to process that information?

I think it would initially be hard to believe. Why would they resort to cannibalism so soon, as there should be 'plenty' of food still available to scavenge ........

I thought about this a lot when reading the book the first time. Maybe your mind short-circuits when you have lost everything, including a support structure, at a very vulnerable and impressionable stage of your life, and to top that, you realize there are no more rules. You need to take control, it may be all about power and not being a victim ?

2. Did you think that adding another mouth to feed in the form of the 'pink pooch' Buster, and possibly a noisy one, was a wise decision?

I think it was a very wise decision. If they had turned away from Buster, a little bit of what it means to be human would have been lost to them - compassion and kindness to others weaker than yourself is key.

3. What were your first impressions of Bodo, did you think he was hiding something from Bryn and Peter, did he make you worry for their safety?

Yeah, Bodo made me nervous in the beginning :)

Mary | 17 comments Cannibalism makes frequent appearance in post-apocalypse fiction. Rosemary makes a good point. In the Apocalypsis world, the age/maturity level of the survivors would have been a pretty big factor on how quickly they resorted to cannibalism. Adolescence is a lot of trying to fit in and dealing with peer pressure.I think charismatic and cruel people would be able to quickly gather followings and pressure others into things they wouldn't normally do-- almost like mob mentality.

message 5: by Lisa Ann (last edited Mar 21, 2013 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Ann (ketsybaby) | 61 comments Mod
1. Personally I was pretty shocked by the news about the Canners, and I think Bryn was too, until Peter told her the whole story. I really didn't see that coming, since most Post-Apocalyptic I have read is Zombie related. I just couldn't imagine that all the food would disappear so fast that all these kids would get to that point of desperation and violence. I could see one or two people maybe, but to think that there were many groups of Canners in one small area, all so violent and brutal, it is unthinkable to me.

2. I was worried about "Buster" from minute one. Dogs bark, they need food, they need to do their 'doodles', you can't hide well with an animal, they are like babies, they often make more noise the more nervous their caretakers are, not less. Once they got to the Glades, I was fine with Buster, who was a good warning system and alarm clock, and no longer such a threat. But really, I was worried that the dog would give them away to the Canners, or require feeding and grooming that was beyond their means.

3. At first I thought Bodo was a big goofy oaf, I didn't see any advantage in letting him join the group other than his size and apparent ability to have fended for himself as long as he had. I think the 'accent' I heard in my head, and his use of English as a second language made me underestimate him, and then the incident when he tried to get into the restaurant, I just thought he was going to be a real hazard to have around, very impulsive. But he respected Bryn and was probably the least sexist male character I have ever met in a book, and that was kind of charming really. He just fit the missing piece in the puzzle for Bryn and Peter too, even though I knew there was something he was hiding all along.

4. I was really scared when Bryn and Peter were hiding in the field while the Canners were there, I was worried for all of them. When they meet the siblings in the restaurant, I was so sad, to think that rape and violence were also so prevalent was so disheartening. As an Obstetrics Nurse, I was immediately hit with the realization that all these teenagers could get pregnant, like teens all over do, but have no medical care and no one to help them deliver, no one to teach them how to care for their babies, if they didn't read up or have access to books [as many who were in hiding would not], many of these young girls would die in childbirth. I was crushed by that thought. I also thought that when they encountered 'Celia' in the shell shop, I found that her self-imposed isolation was so devastating, I really hurt for these kids. I was thinking about all these issues as I read along, and it all started to pile up... it hit me on a very emotional level, and I wasn't expecting that. That is the Elle Casey genius for you, the characters are so real, so human, you feel for them almost instantly and want to protect them from the bad moves or poor choices they seem to be about to make.

WOW, that got very deep. LOL. More questions coming soon!

- Ketsy

Kahayatle (Apocalypsis, #1) by Elle Casey

message 6: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob George | 8 comments Hey sorry I'm kind of just joining this in the middle of the read, I didn't get an account until recently. I'm a huge fan of Elle and I have read all the books in her series. I will try and refrain from giving spoilers in any comment, but I may slip. I hope I can contribute to the group and to Elle. I'm Rob by the way.

1. When i first read Peter's story I got really sad and angry. I just couldn't believe what happened. I read it over and over trying to absorb what Peter had gone through. If I was Bryn I would have had a hard time to process that. Hearing a real story about what had happened to someone due to canners, especially someone you were growing close to, is difficult. The shock and just the disgust over what had happened would have made processing the story hard.

2. I think that Buster won't need to eat that much compared to two kids. They might struggle at time, but I don't think either of them could leave Buster behind, especially with canners in the neighborhood. To fix any noise problems they can always make or find muzzle, but they can be sure that Buster will alert them of anything while they are asleep.

3. Bodo was a really sketchy character to me at first. I didn't really believe his story at first. I kept thinking they should just ditch him, but Bryn and Peter aren't the type to do that. Bodo doesn't talk about his personal story much at all and so it leaves a mystery around him.

4. The kids at the Cracker Barrel really just shocked me. I couldn't believe what had happened to the girl. I was outraged at it. They at least were able to survive though. When they hid from the canners who were blowing up cars, I was like, they are gonna get shot! But it turns out Bryn only kicked their butts, badly. It was slightly, very, disgusting. I felt bad for the girl in the shell shop, she was all alone and no one to talk to or protect her. I all for women being able to defend themselves, but against canners, everyone needs a little protection. Overall with the way Bryn, Peter, and Bodo lived; I think they made the best of every situation with what they had. It's post end of the world. They learn to survive and I admire that.

message 7: by Elle (new) - added it

Elle Casey (ElleCasey) | 61 comments Mod
Rob wrote: "Hey sorry I'm kind of just joining this in the middle of the read, I didn't get an account until recently. I'm a huge fan of Elle and I have read all the books in her series. I will try and refrain..."

Welcome, Rob!!! *hugs*

Kimmie | 18 comments Mod
1. I am sure Bryn was shocked by Peter’s story. I was. But I hoped I would accept his story and become his friend.

2. Maybe not a wise decision but everybody needs a little “buster” in their life!

3. I love Bodo from the start. Esp. the way Elle makes me hear him speak in broken English with a heavy accent!

4. I really felt bad for the girl in the shell shop and just couldn’t understand why she wouldn’t go with them.

message 9: by Tracey (last edited Mar 15, 2013 03:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tracey Murphy (r1anna) | 37 comments I'm sure Bryn was overwhelmed by Peter's story---she had a small glimpse into the canner's world in the neighborhood, but even that small look made it easier to believe Peter's story. How would any of us dealing with that horrible tragedy? I think it brought Bryn and Peter even closer quickly and re enforced her decision to add Peter to her new family along with Buster.

Anyone who has loved a pet understands that leaving that pet behind is not even an option although it may the more practical choice. Bryn never having pet may have been why she initially said no, but as she is adding to her new family-practical is not always the right option. You see Bryn taking what her dad taught her about helping people unable to help themselves and building her own moral base and her being able to be more than a kick ass survival girl.

I was suspicious of Bodo from the start because of him being so vague about where he came from and how he found them etc. I truly could hear his German accent and he was so funny, but like Bryn did not take him very serious. I loved the big butt seat bike and oodles and oodles of doodle talk. You could just see Peter cringing.

I felt so bad for Bryn when she had to disable the guy in the orange grove, but was afraid not finishing him off would come back to bite her in the butt...LOL
I liked Sissy and Jimmy and felt the events these kids were living through were harshly realistic. I didn't understand why Celia was living on her own in the shell shop and she was obviously lonely. I can kinda of understand her wanting to be near her mom's stuff, but completely on her own especially without weapons like a gun or even a knife. I questioned that somewhat.

Stephanie Clifton | 27 comments I'm sorry to barge into the party late! I've just finished rereading Kahayatle and enjoyed it for the second time. I'm going to try to put my 10 pennies worth in on the questions as if I've not read the rest of the series.
Before I start these questions I've just something to say from the previous questions. I think Bryn should have looked for a radio as some kids maybe be broadcasting what's going on in other parts of the states or indeed the world. Knowledge is power! There will be kids with access to radios, maybe they had a weekend job or had done work experience in a radio. If Bryn knew what was happening in some of the other states maybe that could help her decisions? Just a thought.
Also Bryn thinks early on when she's still at home "maybe out in the farmlands it was different." I totally agree with this as any kids brought up in a farm would be able to run it by their teens, maybe in a limited fashion . Also in the UK we have a young farmers association, which would be awesome as its a network of young people who k ow how to farm and could help out. I don't know whether you have something like that in the states? So I'm thinking there wouldn't be the same issue with scanners in the farming states. What does everyone else think?
Anyhooo back to the questions:
1. I was very shocked when we heard Peter's story and I found it very sad. I thought it was good that periodically it was brought up in the story again as it made it very believable. This is not something Peter is going to come to terms with easily or quickly.
2. I was very pleased with the addition of Buster to their "family". I was worried about how they were planning to feed him but felt they needed something to love. They need to be able to maintain their humanity and ability to love and care for something smaller / weaker than themselves. I feel his worth to them was to soothe their souls!!!
3. Now Bodo was someone I was initially sceptical of and so I did a bad thing!! I skipped to further on in the book to check he was still in it and was still a goodie! Shush, don't tell anyone but sometimes I read the last page too if it's getting to tense and I need to calm my racing heart!
4. I really felt for Celia when we meet her in the shell shop and really wished she'd join them. I don't think it is at all good for.or old to be on their own like that. I loved the whole part when they joined up with the Nation, the shower sounded blissful. Elle is so good at the descriptions, I could see it all in my head.
Anyway Imust toodle off now but please can I check with someone, when Bryn and co crack up about "my Peter", I'm not 100% sure why that's funny, is it a euphemism for a Willy?!!! Sorry ignorant English person here.

Stephanie Clifton | 27 comments Umm sorry about the typos and auto correct issues!

Tracey Murphy (r1anna) | 37 comments Stephanie wrote: "I'm sorry to barge into the party late! I've just finished rereading Kahayatle and enjoyed it for the second time. I'm going to try to put my 10 pennies worth in on the questions as if I've not rea..."

Yes Stephanie..Peter is another euphemism for "willy"
and yes there are young farmer associations in the US too but not as popular as they once were or maybe still popular in more rural areas. So maybe the canners won't be as prevalent in the more rural areas.
There should be some kind of "ham radio" still around and generators....so it would be interesting to get contacts with kids away from their immediate areas.

Stephanie Clifton | 27 comments I think the canners would definitely be more prevalent in cities and high population densities. Some of the gang cultures are already there. However the more rural / farming communities would have children much more prepared to survive and feed themselves. I'm sure some of the older teens would take charge,much as happened on Kahayatle itself.
Thanks Tracey for clearing up the Peter issue, not something we say over here!!

Tracey Murphy (r1anna) | 37 comments No problem Stephanie....when I read some English authors I get lost on some of the slang too. Nice to be able to clear it up... :)

Sarah (rileysma08) | 17 comments I kind of don't like Bodo. My sister loves him, and is total team Bodo. I am really more team Paci. I think Bodo is a bit immature.

Tracey Murphy (r1anna) | 37 comments Sarah wrote: "I kind of don't like Bodo. My sister loves him, and is total team Bodo. I am really more team Paci. I think Bodo is a bit immature."

I agree with you Sarah...I was hoping for a Bryn and Paci match up...:)

message 17: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob George | 8 comments ^ I third this opinion!

Sarah (rileysma08) | 17 comments You know, when we first met Winky, I was afraid she was after Bodo, and I felt instantly hostile towards her. But now I think she needs to hook up with Bodo, and Bryn can have Paci.

Stephanie Clifton | 27 comments Hi Sarah, have you finished the series (so far!) yet? Elle (first name terms you know!) seems to be lining up another love interest for Winky. Don't want to say too much in case people haven't finished reading.

Sarah (rileysma08) | 17 comments I have! I'm just thinking from the point of view where I want everyone to be happy, but with who I want them to be with! Lol my fantasy land.

Hockey Mama Never liked Bodo. Something was always "Off" with him to me...