The Expanded Universe discussion

Books, Authors, and Series > Darth Bane Series Vs. Darth Plagues

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theo (new)

Theo Shapiro I'm new to the Star wars Books but am loving all the one's I've read so far. I started with the Thrawn Trilogy and am currently reading Scoundrels. I'm trying to decide what to read next. Should I read the Darth Bane series or Darth Plagues next? Or I'll take any other suggestions.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 11, 2013 06:37AM) (new)

I would say start with the Darth Bane series, then Plagueis after...but I like reading things chronologically. The Bane series was pretty good!

message 3: by Theo (new)

Theo Shapiro I think I'll go with the Bane series then, thanks for the advice.

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (theevildrporkchop) | 5 comments I would say the Bane series too. I liked them both for different reasons but if I had to choose It would be Bane. Bane Has a lot more "action" Where Plagueis has a lot more behind the scene stuff going on. Both are very good reads I enjoyed them both very much!

message 5: by Theo (new)

Theo Shapiro I just finished the first of the Bane series, I definetly enjoyed it.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Sullivan | 6 comments I haven't read the Darth Plagues novel yet, but I can say that the Darth Bane trilogy are the best Star Wars books I've read so far.

message 7: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (emperor799) | 80 comments I would suggest being more concerned with the quality of the author than the subject of the novel.

My favorite SW authors are Timothy Zahn, Troy Denning, L. Neil Smith, Drew Karpyshyn, Aaron Allston, and Kevin J. Anderson.

My least favorites are Christie Golden and James Luceno. I can't tell you how much I detest both of their styles. Also, it feels like James takes an idea that would fill a short story or at best a novella and stretches it out into a novel like a child trying to fill word count in an essay.

While I'm here, if anyone reading this ever wants to try a SW comic series, I highly recommend John Jackson Miller's KotOR (2006)

message 8: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel What about Michael Stackpole or Karen Traviss?

message 9: by Jonny (new)

Jonny Blaze | 30 comments Darth Bane series would be my recommendation. I loved it! Could hardly put them down! ^_^

message 10: by A Denise (new)

A Denise (darkbeautykills1) | 1 comments Hey Guys I am new to the group and new to the Star Wars novels. I am a bit of a star wars Junkie and am ashamed to admit I had no idea of amazing and extensive the books were.
I have started with the Darth Bane series and I am soooooo hooked. I am intrested in reading more, but there are so many!
Any advice on where to go from Bane? I would love to know more about the Darth relm prior to the Dark Lords. Is there such a thing?
Thank you for any tips and Hello to you ALL!

message 11: by Jonny (new)

Jonny Blaze | 30 comments Lost Tribe of the Sith is a good place to start. The Old Republic books: Revan, Deceived and Fatal Alliance would be a good 2nd. Red Harvest is a good side story that is heavy on the Darth/Sith.

Then Darth Plagueis, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter (new paperbacks contain the former ebook - Darth Maul: Saboteur which you'd want to read before the main novel).

Then, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. More recent would be the Legacy of the Force series, followed by the Fate of the Jedi series.

I hope this helps in your Darth/Sith adventures! ^_^

message 12: by Kyle (last edited Apr 26, 2013 09:34AM) (new)

Kyle (emperor799) | 80 comments Hi, these stories take place before the formation of the Sith Order and the creation of the Darths.

message 13: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (emperor799) | 80 comments That's what I get for HTML tagging on my phone. Try it now.

message 14: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rivera | 6 comments I like to read in chronological order, although they starting writing more books from the past. I read Darth Bane, read book two and it was so terrible I stopped. The more recent up to date chronological books were an absolute disappointment. All of those books and it could have been complete in 4. Nothing is going to compare with the Yuuzhan Vong series and it seems the Fate of the Jedi series was trying to do just that. Vastly disappointing. I think I'm going to go to the books from the past and stick there for a bit.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert (robet12) The second one of the Bane series wasn't too bad. Sure, it was slow to start, but the epic lightsaber duel at the end makes up for nearly everything.

message 16: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rivera | 6 comments Unfortunately I didn't feel that way. So I wound up steering clear of the 3rd book. Maybe I will in the future.