Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Unwind (Unwind, #1)
This topic is about Unwind
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Shusterman, Neal - Unwind - REVISITED - Start Date: Dec 14,2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 237 (237 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

This topic is open for discussion of Unwind. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Synopsis:
Connor, Risa, and Lev are running for their lives.

The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Apr 07, 2013 11:54PM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown:

Date Chapter Pages

April 2nd 1-8 3-50
April 3rd 9-19 51-112
April 4th 20-25 112-153
April 5th 26-33 154-202
April 6th 34-45 202-249
April 7th 46-62 249-300
April 8th 63-End 300-335

Cathie (catitude) | 999 comments Yeah :-). It finally won! I first introduced this book back in November I think and it fizzled; bottom of vote list. Then I think I tried again or someone else nominated it and then it took another try and Yeah, we're going to read it!! (I'm in :-)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments This is a great book. I am going to re-read it since its been almost four years since I read it.

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 127 comments This is an amazing book. I'm glad it's been chosen so more people will read it. :)

Parvathy | 242 comments I wanted to read it for a very long time. Guess I don't have to wait anymore

Sharie | 72 comments This will be my first book of the month and I'm a little confused on how it works. If anyone can explain I would greatly appreciate it.

message 8: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @SharieCrimson: Close to April 2nd there will be a reading schedule posted that will be about 50 pages a day. Each day someone will post questions to spark conversation. You read, you answer, you talk about the book. You can follow along with everyone or read at your own pace. Whatever works best for you. It's just fun to read and predict what will happen with everyone.

Sharie | 72 comments Awesome thanks.

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 206 comments I just got the book from the library! All ready to start!

message 11: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Chapter breakdown is posted at the top. Hope everyone is read to start on the 2nd! ~ Jex

message 12: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Awesome trailer for the book: Click Here

Kristin | 840 comments That is a great trailer for the book!!! Makes me want to start reading it now!!

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14257 comments Mod
Oh that trailer is pretty cool! I'm not sure about this one, (could be a bit disturbing!) but I'm intrigued enough that I have the book and I'm ready to go :)

message 15: by Jex (last edited Apr 01, 2013 10:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Since I work opening tomorrow I figured I'll post the questions early.

Questions for Ch 1-8:

1. Connor: A family that gave him up in secret, a girlfriend that left him to run away on his own, it sounds like he's completely unwanted. What do you think of his situation? Would you have run too?

2. Risa: A ward of the state unable to prove her worth but lucks out with a bus accident to escape. Thoughts on her situation? Would you have tried to escape?

3. Lev: a tithe that wants to be unwound (!!!). This situation seems so completely different from the other two! What do you think of it? Would you rather know your whole life that you're an unwind or find out at the end?

4. Looks like Connor basically saves both Lev and Risa. Do you think he'll turn out to be the leader of this little team? Or was it just coincidence since he was the runaway?

5. To unwind is to send one's parts to others in order to make them whole again in hopes that your uselessness now will be useful in pieces later. What's your reaction to the unwind process?

6. Do you think Lev will come around and become part of the group? Or will he turn on them later?

7. Are you liking the story so far? Do you like the writing style? How about the change of perspective? Any wild predictions?

Nancy | 577 comments Questions for Ch 1-8:

1. Connor: A family that gave him up in secret, a girlfriend that left him to run away on his own, it sounds like he's completely unwanted. What do you think of his situation? Would you have run too?

Yeah, I didn't like how he found out too. He found 3 airplane tickets, the day after his harvesting?!! I'd be pretty upset and would probably have run too. This whole concept of unwinding is pretty weird and hard to come to grips with!

2. Risa: A ward of the state unable to prove her worth but lucks out with a bus accident to escape. Thoughts on her situation? Would you have tried to escape?

Again, what other choice do they have? Death? So yeah, probably would have run.

3. Lev: a tithe that wants to be unwound (!!!). This situation seems so completely different from the other two! What do you think of it? Would you rather know your whole life that you're an unwind or find out at the end?

I think I'd rather know my whole life so I knew what to expect. The other two it was such a surprise, right before it was supposed to happen.

4. Looks like Connor basically saves both Lev and Risa. Do you think he'll turn out to be the leader of this little team? Or was it just coincidence since he was the runaway?

That's the way it seems right now.

5. To unwind is to send one's parts to others in order to make them whole again in hopes that your uselessness now will be useful in pieces later. What's your reaction to the unwind process?

Like I mentioned before, it is so hard to come to grips with this idea! And for kids so young! 13-18???!!! I'm not liking this process at all.

6. Do you think Lev will come around and become part of the group? Or will he turn on them later?

I think he'll come around.

7. Are you liking the story so far? Do you like the writing style? How about the change of perspective? Any wild predictions?

I like everything about the story. I like the different perspectives it's told from and the fast pace of it. No predictions yet, it seems too early....am curious where the story is going though....

message 17: by Sharie (last edited Apr 02, 2013 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharie | 72 comments Connor: A family that gave him up in secret, a girlfriend that left him to run away on his own, it sounds like he's completely unwanted. What do you think of his situation? Would you have run too?

I felt bad for him when Ariana wouldn't leave with him. It would be so scary to run on your own. I think I would have liked to run, but would have been freaking out wondering how I would survive.

I would have tried to escape and tried to have convinced others to go with me haha.

I don't know. On one hand I think it would be hard to live life normally knowing what was to come on the other...it would just be devastating all the way around.

I think he probably will end up having more influence over the others.

It reminds me a little bit of the hunger games. They aren't killing each other, but the whole 13-18 thing you get a chance at dying. But then their body parts are used to help people and HG was for fun. It's an interesting concept. For a book I would not be all for it in the real world.

He might turn on them and then have a change of heart. I think he'll finally understand why the pastor told him to run.

I really like the change of perspectives. I like to find out what everyone thinks than from one character's view and what they think everyone is thinking. I've never really been a fan of chapters starting in the middle of a page though just because it's hard to figure out where I want to stop.

Kristin | 840 comments 1. I feel bad for Connor. It doesn't seem like there is anybody in his life who care about him. I would have ran too. What would be the point of staying just to wait to die...

2. I think in her situation I would have tried to escape also. The state was responsible for taking care of her and just because they need more room they ship her off to be unwound. Pretty crappy.

3. I can't imagine being born just to die so that other people could live. It is one thing to donate your organs because you are dying but Lev's way of living seems worse. That even though people care about and love you they don't love you enough to want you to stay.

4.I think he will end up being the leader.

5. It is an interesting concept. It would be one thing if people as adults choose to unwind for whatever reasons but having parents decide to do it to their children? What makes them decide to do that...

6. I think he will turn on them later. But once he finds out what the real unwinding process is like he may change his mind.

7. I do like the writing so far and the alternate POV's. I just don't like the chapters starting in the middle of the page sometimes. That confuses me!

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Ch 1-8:

I think it is very sad. It makes me wonder about the parents. I wouldn't want them as parents if that is the way they felt about me. As for the girlfriend, she was obviously all for show. I would have ran if I was being unwound too.

I think it adds a nice little twist to the story, but it is truly wacked out! I mean who would want to sacrifice their life? I would rather not be unwound period, but if I had to choose, I would rather it be at the end.

I think he is definitely going to be some type of leader. I have read the book before, but its been at least four years and I am not remembering very much.

I think it is stupid. While your parts may be useful to someone else, it is not possible for you to "live on" in someone else. I think everyone has worth in some way, otherwise you wouldn't be on this Earth, so harvesting parts of the unwanted is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of and is the same thing as abortion, murder.

I think he is eventually going to come around, but I think a lot will have to happen before hand.

I am discovering the story all over again, and I loved it the first time. I really love how he tied all the stories together in the beginning. Its not something that I am sure I picked up the first time I read the book.

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Apr 02, 2013 10:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have trouble getting my head around parents that would do this. Just because your kid is a bit of trouble you send them off to be killed? I guess we have to think this is in the future sometime where morals and ethics are different to today.
If I was him, I would absolutely run. Better to try and stay alive then just let yourself be taken

This scenario I find a bit more "believable" in that an unscrupulous government would prefer to harvest kids for parts than pay for their ongoing education and lives. I think she was very quick-witted to escape. Most people wouldn't have thought about it until it was too late

This one I also understand a bit more, as it is kind of like religious fanatics thinking they are doing the right thing and sacrificing a child. Clearly he has grown up beleieving in the 'cause' aswell. That is better than having it thrust upon you

I think it was coincidence, as Risa certainly seems like she can fend for herself and Lev is pretty smart

I struggle with the concept! Maybe being a mother has changed my ability to understand this kind of concept as there is no way I could ever even possibly contemplate having a child as a tithe, or giving a child up to be unwound later. I keep thinking the society here must be somewhat like 'Delirium' in that everyone has had a small labotomy. How else could this be condoned, and acted upon? Crazy!

I think he will the more Pastor Dan's words sink in... but I wonder if he will basically give them up first before realising he doesn't want to be harvested

I do like it. I guess in some ways because the concept of unwinding screams WRONG to me on so many levels, that it actually drags me into the story. I'm not sure what to expect at this point. Prediction is that Lev will get them all caught before realising he wants to live, and then they will try and get free again. I think Lisa and Connor will have a bit of a love affair going. Maybe they will find others like them and join some kind of revolutionary group to stop 'unwinding' (or is my mind still stuck in 'Delirium'?!! lol) I also think Lev's brother (Marcus?) will come back into the story and help them at some point as he seems to be the only one that thinks the unwinding is wrong

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments One thing that I just thought of. Maybe Connor's parents wanted an abortion and they couldn't have one. They would think that the next best thing is unwinding.

My only problem with this whole thing is that if children are so easy to come by why aren't the people who can't have children adopting these kids? They wouldn't have to go to China or some other country anymore to get them.

Kristin | 840 comments @ Laura - I got the impression that Conner's parents are choosing to unwind him because he is hard to control now. He gets into fights and does bad at school and they didn't know what to do anymore. Then when he started being nice to his parents and getting good grades they felt bad because they can't undo the "contract".

Kim Questions for Ch 1-8:

I think it's sad that his parents want to unwind him and I can't imagine a parent doing that to their child. I would have run too.

I think I would have tried to escape in her situation too. These kids have nothing to lose by trying to get away since they are going to be unwound no matter what.

I think it's scary how much kids can be affected by what their parents tell them. Lev has totally been brainwashed by his parents that it's a good thing. I can't decide if it's better to know a head of time or after. On one hand, you can try to do everything you want before you are unwound and make the most of your life, but that's no a fun way to live, knowing your time is limited. I think I would rather find out at the end.

I think he will end up being the leader. (I read this book 4 years ago, and I remember liking it, but that's all!!)

I think it's horrible! Parents and adults are judging kids worthless and taking their parts for themselves!

I think he will come around and be part of the group, but I think it will take a while to undo the damage that has been done by his parents.

I am liking the book the second time just as much as the first. I won't make any predications just in case it's not really me making a prediction, but remembering something. :)

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 206 comments Questions for Ch 1-8:

I hope I would. I can't imagine just giving up. And even though the girlfriend did a horrible thing. I get it. She is not about to be unwound, why through away her life? Not that I agree with what she did, but I get it.

Definitely! Nobody ever really cared about her. Why give myself up easily. She has been fighting for herself all her life, this is just one more time that she is the only one looking out for her.

I don't know what I would want, but Lev is has had a lot of ceremony and conversations about it. He has always been special because he was a tithe. It is obviously easier for him to accept his fate because he has planned for it. And feels like it is surviving some greater good, whereas the other two are just going to be killed for spare parts.

I don't think he will be the leader. He has a problem thinking ahead and Risa is clearly better at that. If they ever do develop a clear leader it should be someone who has a better plan than Connor has.

OMG! How cynical!? Your life really doesn't matter! At thirteen how can you know that?!

I think both. I think Lev will turn on them at some point, but I also hope that he will eventually start to care about Risa and Connor and realize how horrible their situation is.

I do like the story so far. I can't quite tell where it is going and I like that. I don't want to be able to predict the story. That would make it boring.

message 25: by Gabby (last edited Apr 03, 2013 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabby | 21 comments Questions for Ch 1-8:

It didn't seem to me that Connor had many options other than to run.
Of the 3 characters so far, it seems to me that Risa is the most contrived. We needed a girl, and here she is with a tenuous place in the story. She too had limited options other than to run.

I can't wrap my head around knowing one's fate is to be unwound fully understanding what the implications of that are. In knowing or not knowing my fate? I'd rather have as much time as possible to escape so I'd want to know.
Of course Connor is the leader. It's how he's being written so far.

I want to know who sits on the board deciding who is useless. That seems to me to be a rather subjective standard for deciding whose body gets dismantled and who doesn't. I mean, sure there are cut and dried examples on each side of the "useless" tag, but there's still that middle ground. What are the requirements for being a judge? Is Solomon on this jury? Even if he were, cutting bodies in half isn't much of a resolution for this one. My reaction to the unwinding process is pure disgust. Hadda be an extreme liberal to come up with this solution to the abortion question as well as one heck of a demented salesperson.

I can't decide on that one at this point in my reading. I don't know enough about Lev yet other than that he has been effectively brainwashed to believe he's on a genuinely worthwhile mission to be unwound.

7. Are you liking the story so far? Do you like the writing style? How about the change of perspective? Any wild predictions? I' m not a huge fan of dystopian novels involving teenagers. Most of what I've read of this genre has been very contrived with plot holes through which I could easily push Kim Kardashian's thighs. This one isn't very different in my view. However, there's something that does keep me drawn to the pages. One example is that whole storking issue. That is just so profoundly evil, I have to see how the author deals with it further along -- if he even does. I bought this book just to be involved in at least one of this group's challenges. So far, I'm glad I did. I like the way the author structured the story with individuals getting their own segments to move the story along. That's one of my favorite ways to read a novel (Susan Howatch taught me that). I don't have any predictions yet, but this is the kind of story that encourages at least some speculation.

The only big thing that bothers me about this book is that it's very reminiscent of Never Let Me Go, the only real difference being more parental involvement in decision making in this book. That may be too harsh a judgement, but that's what I thought since I began reading.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Questions for Ch 1-8:

Poor kid. I agree with Nancy, the way he found out was horrible. And the way his girlfriend left him? So sad. I'm glad he just didn't gave up.

The other option wasn't a good one either. The way the adults said "you will continue to live" like it wasn't the end of the line for her. I'm not sure how to react to that. It was so... crude.

The poor kid was brainwashed. Is like being raise with the believe that having more than one wife is the way to be worthy. He was taught he was special. Is the reality he knows, the truth he accepts. If the outcome is to be unwound, better believe it was the reason for being alive I think.

The way I see it, Connor is the muscle/the reaction guy, Risa is the brain/thinking one and Lev will be the tactical one. At least is how it looks like.

I'm having trouble with the whole concept. The retroactive abortion is something unthinkable. THEY ARE CHILDREN!!! They must be protected at all costs. How the hell is that supposed to be a pro-life solution? However, the unwind process wouldn't be that shocking to me if it was used as an alternative to the death penalty.

Maybe. Pastor Dan's words are haunting him. But he may come around too late. Will see.

Again, I'm having a hard time with the concept behind the story. But I am liking the change of POV's and the writing style. I have high hopes for this book, it better not disappoint me!

message 27: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @Nancy

1: The whole unwind you kid and go on vacation is pretty sick to me, but seems common place in their world. Creepy.

message 28: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @SharieCrimson

2: Someone sounds like a rebel.

7: I agree with the chapter thing. It made the breakdown hard. I just want to keep going!

message 29: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @Kristin:

6: Interesting thought on Lev. I find him interesting because he seems to think he's "above" other unwinds because he's a tithe instead of being an unwanted like others.

message 30: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @Laura:

5: It's interesting you say unwinding is just like aborting because after watching some of the trailers that were submitted for this book they describe unwinding as late life aborting because abortion out right is outlawed to stop the war that was going on. Which is worse though, aborting a baby that never lived, or one that live at least 13 years?

message 31: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @Karen:

2: I think they really underestimated the potential of Risa at the home when they chose to unwind her. She's a smart cookie.

7: Oooh I like the prediction about Marcus. I forgot about him. Wonder if he'll come into play.

message 32: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @Kim:

5: I think you hit the nail on the head! People want the parts so bad they feel they can play god. My question is what is happening in society that they need this many parts? Are people living to be a million?

message 33: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Sheila

4: I think you're the first one to say Connor would be a bad leader. He is a bit impulsive.

5: My thoughts exactly! I don't know what I'm doing at 28 let alone 13! :-P

message 34: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Gabby:

5: haha demented salesperson. I think for the most part it's up the parents or caretakers to decide who gets unwound. I guess unless the person is a criminal or something.

message 35: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Sonia

5: Interesting thought to use unwinding as an alternate to the death penalty.

message 36: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Questions for Chapter 9-19:

This section had tons of stuff going on!

8. Storking: to leave an unwanted baby on a porch for new owners. Whatever happened to adoption? Could you imagine just randomly receiving a baby on your porch and being responsible for it? Do you think this helps justify unwinding?

9. What did you think of Risa's plan to be Didi and get clothes?

10. Their pictures aren't in the paper. Do you think the cops are hiding it? Why wouldn't they say unwinds are on the loose like usual? Is it because of the accident?

11. Another new term: Uploaded: to get pregnant. Gotta love the terminology in this book.

12. Lev shows a human side when he says he doesn't want Risa and Connor killed (well other then being unwound, which is apparently not dying to him). Does this change how you see him at all?

13. What a horrible story about the storked baby in the neighborhood! I wonder if that's a common occurance?

14. Lev finally runs. Turns out, his parents never reported him lost! He's free to do whatever he wants with life! Although now he's more lost then ever before. Totally different then the other unwinds. Thoughts?

15. Clappers: explosive blood? Terrorist attacks? Thoughts on what these are?

16. So we get a bit of a timeline here. Apparently they are 2 generations in the future where ipods and plasma screens are just showing up in antique shops. So imagine these children as your grandchildren or great-grandchildren.

17. New people. Hannah, Sonia, and now more unwinds. Do you trust them? What do you think of the other unwinds?

18. Humphrey Dunfee. Do you think it's true or just a ghost story?

19. And finally...the letter. How hard that must be to write! I couldn't imagine. Looks like we might get Risa's letter next chapter. Any predictions on who she will write to?

message 37: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Apr 03, 2013 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura wrote: "One thing that I just thought of. Maybe Connor's parents wanted an abortion and they couldn't have one. They would think that the next best thing is unwinding.
..."

I was thinking like Kristin that he was causing trouble and that is why they did the unwinding orders. It seems as you read on that people that can't get an abortion 'stork' their babies. Man, this society goes from bad to worse!!

Laura wrote:My only problem with this whole thing is that if children are so easy to come by why aren't the people who can't have children adopting these kids? They wouldn't have to go to China or some other country anymore to get them.
That is a really good point. There are so many people in developed countries these days doing whatever they can to adopt. Unless this is meant to be set in a country that now has a massive overpopulation?
I think this is clearly one of those books where you suspend reality and just go with it! lol

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Kristin wrote: "@ Laura - I got the impression that Conner's parents are choosing to unwind him because he is hard to control now. He gets into fights and does bad at school and they didn't know what to do anymore..."

I see your point. I still have a hard time grasping that any parent, no matter how hard their child is to deal with would want to "unwind" them. I mean its someone that grew in your body and has your DNA and you are choosing to basically murder them, in my opinion.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Karen wrote: "Laura wrote: "One thing that I just thought of. Maybe Connor's parents wanted an abortion and they couldn't have one. They would think that the next best thing is unwinding.
..."
I was thinking li..."

I guess I assumed that it was America since they said after the second civil war is when all of this happened.

message 40: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Laura - You're right, it does read as very American (second civil war, bill of rights etc.)

I also agree that the concept is so hard to grasp. The love you feel for your kids is all consuming. Let alone, pregnancy and birth are bloody hard work, and then you actually have to raise your kids. Even if you had no emotions whatsoever, wouldn't you want to get something back for all that work? haha
I do wonder if parents that elect to have their kids unwound get something else out of it. Higher status, money, power, something?

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 206 comments Questions for Chapter 9-19:

This section had tons of stuff going on!

8. Storking: to leave an unwanted baby on a porch for new owners. Whatever happened to adoption? Could you imagine just randomly receiving a baby on your porch and being responsible for it? Do you think this helps justify unwinding?
I would imagine the person who thought it up was hoping the babies would stay at that house instead of going into a state home. But clearly that back fired. If it was the intent.

I thought it was smart. You have to get resources some where and they did not have any food or extra clothing.

10. Their pictures aren't in the paper. Do you think the cops are hiding it? Why wouldn't they say unwinds are on the loose like usual? Is it because of the accident?
Well they answer that later in this chunk. I don't know why they did not make a big deal about Connor and Risa, but I don't really understand their world yet.

11. Another new term: Uploaded: to get pregnant. Gotta love the terminology in this book.
That and caps lock! OMG a part of me wishes that would become a thing :)

12. Lev shows a human side when he says he doesn't want Risa and Connor killed (well other then being unwound, which is apparently not dying to him). Does this change how you see him at all?
He values life, just differently than I do. Also he is religious and it follows what a religious person would do. Especially someone who sees such value in unwinding.

13. What a horrible story about the storked baby in the neighborhood! I wonder if that's a common occurance?
I would guess it is. Especially if a family doesn't want any more kids. It is so sad...

14. Lev finally runs. Turns out, his parents never reported him lost! He's free to do whatever he wants with life! Although now he's more lost then ever before. Totally different then the other unwinds. Thoughts?
I feel for the kid. His whole moral compass is destroyed. His whole way of looking at the world. I am really curious what his next steps and how he comes to grip with it.

They were really vague about the clappers. It would be really scary if a group of people were blowing themselves up without giving any meaning for doing it. Not that it is less scary when you know why, but how do you find/stop a group of terrorists who don't communicate their reasonings?

16. So we get a bit of a timeline here. Apparently they are 2 generations in the future where ipods and plasma screens are just showing up in antique shops. So imagine these children as your grandchildren or great-grandchildren.
Its interesting...especially in the current political climate where some states are changing their abortion laws. Makes you wonder what the future holds. I can't imagine the stuff in this book happening, but the world will look so different in 60-80 years.

17. New people. Hannah, Sonia, and now more unwinds. Do you trust them? What do you think of the other unwinds?
I trust Hannah and Sonia. I am curious about the other unwinds. I hope they stay with the story for a while. I want to know more about them.

I see ghost story written all over it.

19. And finally...the letter. How hard that must be to write! I couldn't imagine. Looks like we might get Risa's letter next chapter. Any predictions on who she will write to?
I am going to guess she will write to her piano teacher. The letter is such a cool thing. Heart-renching, but wow to be abandoned like that and then to be able to send a letter back to the world. I would totally want to do that. Can you imagine people reading it? The family and friends of the people who were suppose to be unwound. That would be so hard to get that letter.

Sharie | 72 comments 8. Storking: to leave an unwanted baby on a porch for new owners. Whatever happened to adoption? Could you imagine just randomly receiving a baby on your porch and being responsible for it? Do you think this helps justify unwinding?

I agree with Sheila. It sounds like they would rather have their kid stay with a family than live in a state home, but then I think about the family that just had a baby left on their front porch and that seems stressful whether they already have kids they have to take care of or they didn't want any at all. The law that goes with it is just crazy.

That was very smart. I would have never thought of something like that.

I don't really understand this part. Maybe it is because the cops are just planning on killing them.

Not quite yet. It shows that he has some feelings for what happens to them though.

I can see that happening. It's sad and hopefully some babies finally end up with a family to take them in.
(look at me talking like it's a real thing that happens, thank goodness it's not)

I'm hoping that Marcus comes back into the picture and Lev gets in touch with him.

I did not see the explosive blood coming. Unless it's one of those rumors going around about them. Clapping tells people you're a clapper? Do these people never clap/applause? Oh wait, they clapped at Risa's recital..

I do trust them. No alarms have gone off, they haven't done anything suspicious...yet

Sounds like a ghost story, but the way these people act and think. Just coming up with concept of unwinding to settle a conflict, I wouldn't put it past any of them.

I loved the part where Sonia opens the trunk and it's full of letters. I love Sonia! It's such a great idea even though sending one of those letters means that someone is dead. I think Risa's letter will probably be to her piano teacher.

message 43: by Gabby (last edited Apr 03, 2013 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabby | 21 comments Questions for Chapter 9-19

It seems as though with the end of abortion, the society after the civil war had no problems at all with fertility or the lack of it. All of a sudden they've got more people than they can handle, so the result is storking. In my view, playing musical chairs with a baby is just sick no matter what the process ends up being called. I wonder if the author had any problem with developing this idea -- actually it might be interesting to read a book with this as the theme. I mean, at least storking is a whole lot less complicated than unwinding.

I think as a token female, Risa is pretty smart and thinks fast on her feet.

I had the impression we're supposed to believe that since no one actually was apprehended the cops didn't know what they were dealing with and just treated it as an accident. Which seems to be good news for our heroes.

Exactly! I was pretty taken with "storking". It's clever. My favorite is the Caps Lock thing.

I still see Lev as a screwed up kid stuffed so full of religion he may never get everything straight in his head. Yet it is encouraging that he doesn't want his companions outright shot.

That was awful. Tying into that was the fact that Hannah had no children, and she'd never been forced into parenting when she was such a logical person for that. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for who has children and who doesn't in this story.

Lev really needs some time to sort out all he now knows about his situation. I'm interested in seeing what conclusions he reaches.

That clappers thing was scary, and it needs to be further explained. The questions I have about this whole society are building. I expect at least some of the answers will appear in a sequel.

Sometimes I'm very glad I will not be around to see what the distant future brings.

Since all of the Unwinds have their own stories to tell, and none of them are pleasant, I wonder if that in itself makes for a bonding situation in which they can all depend upon each other when push comes to shove and personality differences don't factor into the equation.

I vote for urban legend. I might have believed it if the name had been anything other than Humphrey Dunfee.

I hope Risa writes to one of the people she worked with at the home she came from. If I were Risa, I would want someone to know that maybe I wasn't the best piano player in the world, but I knew how to take care of that baby. Which means whoever made the decision she's useless can go shove it.

message 44: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is really bad. Goes to what laura said about adoption. why are there so many babies around and no-one wants to adopt? It is especially strange when people receive more than one baby this way!!

really smart. This shows she is the brains of the outfit!

I understand why Lev isn't there, but it is strange that Risa and Connor stay out of the paper too? Unless it isn't normal for unwinds to be reported in the paper? They may have only thought it would be in there as they kidnapped Lev?

haha. indeed

I have to keep remembering he is only 13. At that age, and after being brainwashed your whole life, it would be hard to make good decisions

Yes! I guess it is common as if you are 'storked' more than once you don't want to take on another baby. how horrid

Totally different and he has to run for five years! Unless he can find someone to take him in and pretend he is their son (his brother?). I feel sorry for Lev more than the others. his whole world and belief system has just crashed around him

Interesting. I wonder how the clappers get away with it though. I wonder if they are shot do they explode?

Yes, I can't quite imagine this is a realistic timeframe. But then again, we need to suspend reality for this book :)

17. New people. Hannah, Sonia, and now more unwinds. Do you trust them? What do you think of the other unwinds? I would feel pretty vunerable. They have no idea where Sonia is sending them in 4 days. I'd be a bit concerned about that. I would be worried she was selling off kids on the black market for prostitution or something. Weird that she locks them up like that and won't give them any information

Pretty cool ghost story/urban legend

19. And finally...the letter. How hard that must be to write! I couldn't imagine. Looks like we might get Risa's letter next chapter. Any predictions on who she will write to? Hmmm.. no idea actually! We don't know much about her friends or if she had any family. Maybe she will write to herself? Interesting concept to do this. I wonder why?

Gabby | 21 comments @karen: excellent point about Lev only being 13. I keep forgetting that. Thanx for the reminder. :)

Parvathy | 242 comments 1. Connor: A family that gave him up in secret, a girlfriend that left him to run away on his own, it sounds like he's completely unwanted. What do you think of his situation? Would you have run too?

I would run too because frankly there is nothing left to hold you back. I don't get the whole logic of not killing the person but changing them. I felt soory for Connor because it feels like the ultimate betrayal when the parents who have raised you and are supposed to protect you no matter what give you up to be killed. What happened to the whole unconditional love a parent has for their child or is that also taken away with the bill of life

If it was the only chance to survive and you are nothing more than a mere inconvenience. Risa situation is completely unfair. She doesn't have parents and lives as the ward of the state. Even after being talented in those aspects which a normal kid would be lucky to have she is considered worthless and is sent for unwinding without even a choice. Their world feels much more cold and heartless than any of the other dystopia book I have come across.

I think he was brain washed from the very beginning. As he said they made the whole unwinding thing his purpose in life. How does one run away from his purpose. There are a number of people even in our world who sacrifice themselves for the cause they are led to believe. Sucide bombers being an example I think Lev's mentality is the same

I think he is older and he started the whole thing so he is going to be the leader.

I don't understand in what world it is not okay for the child to be killed before it gains any kind of consciousness but okay once the child has lived life up to 13 years. Where have all the human rights activists gone too? It seems like a bit of a stretch to opt for murder than abortion. Is the organ donation part suppose to make it all okay. This book kind of have the feel of the movie "The Island" were clones are harvested as insurance policies in case their originals require organs. But even there they keep the whole process a secret to prevent human rights activists from interfering.

I think he will turn on them but will later recognize his folly and come back for them to make things right.

Yes, It is a completely different concept thaht I am having a hard time stomaching. I can't help feeling a sense of betrayal on behave of all of the characters. The writing style is good and the alternate point of views refreshing. I think the pastor of Lev's brother is going to make a reappearance and Lev will end up betraying them. But it will be only temporary.

message 47: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Gabby - no worries. I keep reminding myself as 13 is so young!

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Parvathy - I think that is what the writer is trying to get us to think about... Why would it be ok to abort a foetus but not that same foetus when it is 13 and can be "harvested" for "the greater good". The abortion debate is much stronger and divided in America, (rarely - if ever- gets a mention here) so I'm trying to not get pulled into that debate, but I can't help but think that is the undercurrent of the book.

Parvathy | 242 comments Karen wrote: "@Parvathy - I think that is what the writer is trying to get us to think about... Why would it be ok to abort a foetus but not that same foetus when it is 13 and can be "harvested" for "the greater..."

I think so too. It is like the book is saying if you are going to kill the child any way then why don't let the world get something out of it.

Parvathy | 242 comments This section had tons of stuff going on!

It seems that in their world anything can be done to children until they reach 18 years. I don't think anything justifies unwinding with out the consent of the party being unwound. Stoking seems to be a way to get rid of unwanted children without all the legal formalities. From the story Connor told it seems none of them even bothered to bring that child to a shelter. Which brings Levi's parents under a different light because they were willing to keep the once stoked to them but decided to unwind their own. Maybe since they already made the decision they must have not been much attached to Levi

I think they all make a great team. The fact that Risa is so resourceful also adds to the irony of unwinding. They were unwinding her because she is not much remarkable and has lived up to her potential. How cruel is that?

Maybe they didn't want people to know a couple of Unwinds outsmarted them because it is clear form the cop's thinking they consider these children beneath them and good for nothing. So them escaping would be an inspiration to others to follow the same path.

I noticed it too. This book is full of new terminologies.

I never thought Levi was a bad guy. He was just a brainwashed kid who was led to believe that unwinding was good. I think he kind of sees it as giving life to people who are destined to be great. So he might not feel any remorse for causing his friends to be unwound because to him I think it is just a change to something better which it completely different from dying.

From what I have read so far I think it is a common occurrence. Can't believe people are treating newborns like animals. Giving birth and leaving them to their fate.

He is a kid who suddenly lost his purpose. In his own words one who was encouraged to jump off a cliff and reconciled to the fact. But all of sudden he has a whole new future ahead of him. He may not have imagined his life beyond 13 years and now he has to live not knowing what will happen next.

More Sci Fi jumble. I think in their world children may even be filled with explosive bloods to act as bombs after all they are expendable after 13 years. May be the very people who can give their children for unwinding with a little more persuasion can give them up for blowing things too.

Which again makes me think what kind of a twisted logic has led them accepting the Unwinding thing. So far as I have read there is no protest for the same. But in our time there is a protest even for slightest of human rights violation which begs the question whether these children are even considered human?

I want to trust them but not sure yet. They seem to have a hidden agenda which at this point I am not exactly sure what.

I thought that name sounded familiar the moment I heard it. Just like Humpty Dumpty. I think there is a possibility that the story may be true. After all it keeps poping up at places.

I think if there is a letter she will write it to her music teacher. I can't even imagine what I will write if put in the same situation

« previous 1 3 4 5