Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

I think I'm dense - how to combine

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments I found what is definitely two separate entries for the same book. I would just delete the one with the least amount of info, but one person has it on their to-read list, and I don't want to leave them out. I looked at the librarian instructions, but I don't understand them.

Separate? I'm not sure what that means. And how do I recombine?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Well, kind of nevermind, I thought you would combine in the edit page, I see where it is now.

But after I deleted it, the person who had it on their "to-read" list got kicked off. Is that always going to happen?

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Jessica wrote: "I found what is definitely two separate entries for the same book. I would just delete the one with the least amount of info..."

Jessica, librarians have two different options here: one we call combining and the other we call merging. Many books are published multiple times, sometimes by different publishers, in different languages, with different cover art, with different ISBNs, etc. This means that books have multiple editions, and all of those editions are valid. When you find two separate entries for different editions of the same book, you combine those editions with the "combine editions" link from the author's or the book's page. Occasionally there will be a separate entry which is not a separate edition but a mistake either entered by a GR user or imported from a mistaken Amazon listing. When that happens, first you combine the two entries as if they were both valid editions and then you can merge them by deleting the one which is a mistake. When you merge entries, all of the shelves and reviews from the deleted entry are merged onto the entry which is not deleted -- this is why it's very important that the entries be combined before they are merged! In general, you should not try to merge entries unless you are very sure of what you're doing.

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Jessica wrote: "Well, kind of nevermind, I thought you would combine in the edit page, I see where it is now.

But after I deleted it, the person who had it on their "to-read" list got kicked off."

That should not happen if you have combined the entries before deleting the mistaken one! Can you send a message to the user in question to let them know that they should re-shelve that book?

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments I would send them a message, but now I can't see their name anymore. I absolutely combined both editions before deleting them. The book in question is this: The Sacred Well A Novel. There were two duplicate entries - same pub date on both, one with no ISBN or other info than title and author. I combined both editions, then deleted the funky one.

I'm guessing I did something wrong, just not sure what.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44992 comments Mod
If they were combined (showing up under "other editions"), then you did nothing wrong and there's a bug.

The log definitely shows that you combined the editions of that book . . . and it shows one merged review. Link

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Jessica, that does sound like a candidate for merging. Are you certain that they were combined? The other edition should have shown under "other editions" in the top of the sidebar before you deleted this bad record.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments I know I combined them, that's weird. Well, for the next one I'll post it here instead of doing it myself. I feel like such a bad librarian :(

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Don't! First of all, you didn't do anything wrong. The log is quite clear.

And even if you had, every librarian makes mistakes. We're human, right?

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Well here's another one, I'm not deleting it :P But I did combine them.

Discretion

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Jessica, Well THAT edition should not be deleted because it has ISBNs, etc. There was another, third "empty" edition that I did delete and it merged with its correct edition of the two remaining.

Is the book edition link above the one you meant to post?

message 12: by Jessica (last edited Mar 30, 2009 04:23AM) (new)

Jessica | 963 comments It was the empty edition, sorry, I posted the main book on accident.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Jessica, Oh, ok. Well, the main thing is that all editions were combined so it was ok to delete the empty edition and it belonged (by looking at publication date) with the most popular edition so simply deleting it merged it with the correct edition.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Maybe what I'll do is make a new version of some other book myself, and then combine and delete to see if it does it again. That way no one gets hurt :)

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Sounds like a good test case.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Alright call to help - I added a "test" edition (twice) of this book, but since I've actually read it (I created the original) I think it'll be better if someone else adds it. Could someone please go to this book and add it to their to-read list?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63...

Thanks in advance!

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Done.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Thanks rivka! I'll delete it now and we'll see what happens...

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Well it looks like it worked! Maybe it was just a fluke?

message 20: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Likely so. (And I just deleted the book from my shelf, so that's why it's gone now.)

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Thanks for all your help!