Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Mar 2013: Daughter Smoke & Bone > Daughter of Smoke and Bone Casting

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (liviebutton) Its that time again, so...who would you cast for Daughter of Smoke and Bone?

My list so far (I'm not sure where to start with Brimstone and Issa ^^)

http://pinterest.com/wasabikid/vf-dau...

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 06, 2013 08:55PM) (new)

Rebecca (chewbecca) I like Nina Dobrev for Karou. She is so beautiful with dark eyes and she speaks at least 3 languages, English, French, Turkish (she is from Bulgaria). Akiva is hard because is is supposed to be so unhumanly beautiful, but maybe Matt Bomer or Henry Cavill

description

description

description

message 3: by Juniper (last edited Mar 07, 2013 01:31AM) (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 15 comments Becca wrote: "I like Nina Dobrev for Karou. She is so beautiful with dark eyes and she speaks at least 3 languages, English, French, Turkish (she is from Bulgaria). Akiva is hard because is is supposed to be so..."

She speaks Turkish? Since they speak Bulgarian in Bulgaria it just seems sort of odd? Not that it matters really, but I'm curious...

message 4: by Cara (last edited Mar 09, 2013 10:26AM) (new)

Cara Mia (Chickowits) | 196 comments Ok, I'm going to give casting the chimaera a shot
Twiga - Dev Patel
Yasri - Kate Winslet, maybe Anne Hathaway. Ooooh, Lena Headey. Yasri was my favorite, I have a lot of thoughts I guess.
Issa - Bianca Lawson, because woman is a grown up and needs cast as a grown up
Chiro - Kat Graham or Dilshad Vadsaria
Brimstone - Anthony Stewart Head
Thiago - Nicholas Hoult, because Series one of Skins he creeped the bejesus out of me

Now Karou/Madrigal...are we thinking same actress? They weren't really supposed to look alike, were they?

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (chewbecca) Kat wrote: "Becca wrote: "I like Nina Dobrev for Karou. She is so beautiful with dark eyes and she speaks at least 3 languages, English, French, Turkish (she is from Bulgaria). Akiva is hard because is is sup..."

I read somewhere that she spoke Turkish, and since a small minority of people in Bulgaria speak Turkish I didn't think anything of it. I looked it up again since you said something and a different source said Bulgarian. It is probably Bulgarian since that is the main language there. That's what I get for reading on the internet, lol.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) For Karou I imagined Emilia Clarke (daenerys from Game of Thrones) because she's well, awesome. I think she could handle the emotional scenes and the action scenes. She can also pull off the Targaryen white hair so I think she could do blue hair too?

As for Madrigal I imagine it would be a combination of CGI and motion capture, so I imagined something like the clone from the movie splice (only not so evil lol). Madrigal in my head is very tall and very slim.

Brimstone was the Faun from Pan's Labryinth. Couldn't see him any other way.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) Cara wrote: "Ok, I'm going to give casting the chimaera a shot
Twiga - Dev Patel
Yasri - Kate Winslet, maybe Anne Hathaway
Issa - Bianca Lawson, because woman is a grown up and needs cast as a grown up
Chiro - ..."

Nicholas Holt for Thiago makes me sad :( He's so cute! (especially in Warm Bodies dawww). For Thiago I imagined someone a lot more buff. I could see Nicholas Holt as Ziri, a character from Days of Blood and Starlight.

message 8: by Cara (new)

Cara Mia (Chickowits) | 196 comments @Amanda, I imagined Thiago wiry but muscular, the wolf thing I guess. I also actually imagined him as attractive, certain gestures and looks being the only hint at something darker. Based on his Tony from Skins, I think Nick could pull it off. My thought for someone a little older was Ian Somerhalder.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (chewbecca) Cara wrote: "@Amanda, I imagined Thiago wiry but muscular, the wolf thing I guess. I also actually imagined him as attractive, certain gestures and looks being the only hint at something darker. Based on his To..."

Ian Somerhalder would be every bad boy in every movie if I were in charge of casting, lol. He makes Damon so attractive even when he does heinous things. He brings a gray area to evil which is a theme in this book (gray areas of good and evil).

message 10: by Cara (new)

Cara Mia (Chickowits) | 196 comments Chris Zylka for Akiva? While Henry Cavill is freaking beautiful, I'd be squicked by the romance stuff with a young actress.
Chloe Moretz for Karou maybe? Then Nina Dobrev for madrigal.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) Have you guys read Days of Blood and Starlight yet? Thiago is a much more prominate character in that book and he's EVIL. I hate him, so I think that's why I see him as ugly. He's a terrible person and needs to die in a fire!

message 12: by Cara (new)

Cara Mia (Chickowits) | 196 comments I haven't read it yet, but just from Daughter of Smoke and Bone I am definitely getting the evil vibe. I don't know, I picture attractive because that's kind of more terrifying to me. I keep harping on it, but Nicholas Hoult had some scenes in Skins where his character would get a little unhinged and intense and I honestly found him sinister and scary. Skins is on Netflix if anyone wants to check it out.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) Cara wrote: "I haven't read it yet, but just from Daughter of Smoke and Bone I am definitely getting the evil vibe. I don't know, I picture attractive because that's kind of more terrifying to me. I keep harpin..."

Only watch the UK version because the US remake was AWFUL! Who was your favorite character? I loved Cassie and Chris (fun fact, both of them are now on Game of Thrones! love it)

message 14: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Stirling | 90 comments Nina Dobrev for Karou would work. Id probably cast Jared Padalecki as Akiva, and Ian Somerhalder as Thiago (evil just suits him).
Lastly, Naya Rivera for Madrigal.

message 15: by Irina (last edited Mar 08, 2013 08:04AM) (new)

Irina | 4 comments I only had 1 person in mind when thinking of casting: Zuzana as Lost girl's main character (Bo) human side-kick & BFF: Kenzi aka Ksenia Solo.

message 16: by Cara (new)

Cara Mia (Chickowits) | 196 comments Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "Cara wrote: "I haven't read it yet, but just from Daughter of Smoke and Bone I am definitely getting the evil vibe. I don't know, I picture attractive because that's kind of more terrifying to me. ..." Yeah, never watch US Skins, guys. I loved Chris, and Joe Dempsie is just adorable. I totally squeed when I saw that they cast him as Gendry on GoT. That gives me another idea too: Iwan Rheon (Simon from Misfits) as Thiago.
I keep casting people with blue eyes as Thiago. That's weird, right?

message 17: by Juniper (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 15 comments Becca wrote: "Kat wrote: "Becca wrote: "I like Nina Dobrev for Karou. She is so beautiful with dark eyes and she speaks at least 3 languages, English, French, Turkish (she is from Bulgaria). Akiva is hard becau..."

Ah, well, Bulgaria is close to Turkey. Maybe her relatives comes from an area close to it and thus speak Turkish. :)

message 18: by Savannah (last edited Mar 08, 2013 05:31PM) (new)

Savannah (skyswriting) Grrr. I am going to have to order this book online. I literally, cannot find this book annnywhere.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) Cara wrote: "Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "Cara wrote: "I haven't read it yet, but just from Daughter of Smoke and Bone I am definitely getting the evil vibe. I don't know, I picture attractive because t..."

no that's not weird at all. I picture all white creatures as having ice blue eyes too (a la white walkers in Game of Thrones for example). I associate both white and light blue with a cold and cruel feeling

message 20: by Cara (new)

Cara Mia (Chickowits) | 196 comments But I have blue eyes!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) Cara wrote: "But I have blue eyes!"

ROFL but you're not allll white like scary ice demons, so you're ok ;)

message 22: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Hunt | 5 comments For Karou, I like Emilia Clarke of Game of Thrones or Kaya Scodelario.

So far, most dudes people are suggesting for Akiva seem too white. I don't know why, but I pictured Akiva as being sort of an exotic mediterranean type.

message 23: by Gary (last edited Mar 12, 2013 11:57PM) (new)

Gary Brimstone = Ron Perlman
Akiva = Jude Law (he already has the hair these days.)

message 24: by Cara (new)

Cara Mia (Chickowits) | 196 comments Hillary wrote: "For Karou, I like Emilia Clarke of Game of Thrones or Kaya Scodelario.

So far, most dudes people are suggesting for Akiva seem too white. I don't know why, but I pictured Akiva as being sort of..."

Well, just me, but the chimaera evoked more of a Mediterranean/Middle East vibe, and the Seraphs made me think more European. The Seraphs pretty obviously consider themselves more civilized, which suggested to me British colonialism in India. Like I said, just the association I made.

message 25: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (nerdyspinster) | 255 comments Here are my cast picks for this book:

My DoSaB Casting Pinterest Page

message 26: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Hunt | 5 comments Watched The Arrow tonight and thought Stephen Amell might do despite his baby blues.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) Hillary wrote: "Watched The Arrow tonight and thought Stephen Amell might do despite his baby blues."

oooh yeah he would be super great! Just darken his hair up a bit and hothothothothot! lol

This also made me think that Chris Hemsworth (with short hair ala Cabin in the Woods) would be awesome too.

message 28: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 9 comments I kept seeing Akiva as a dark haired Aaron Tveit
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en...
guy from Les Mis.

Zuzanna I had the easiest time picturing. Alison Brie? kinda tougher looking, but shes got the small doll-likeness going. Also the funnies.

message 29: by Mikaela (new)

Mikaela | 4 comments I agree with the Nina Dobrev or Emilia Clarke casting for Karou although I can't help but feel there's someone who's a better fit that I just haven't thought of.
For Thiago I think Joseph Morgan from the Vampire Diaries would be great. He definitely has the sexy yet menacing down and I think he could be a truly repulsive Thiago.
I really like Bailey Buntain from Bunheads for Zuzana. She's cute and little, she's feisty, and how awesome would she be in the marionette scenes.

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) Mikaela wrote: "I agree with the Nina Dobrev or Emilia Clarke casting for Karou although I can't help but feel there's someone who's a better fit that I just haven't thought of.
For Thiago I think Joseph Morgan fr..."

OH MY GOD. Joseph Morgan is PERFECT. Seriously so good! I love Klaus, why didn't I think of him?

message 31: by Rand (new)

Rand Howard (aanderand) Looks lik DoSaB will be a movie:

http://hollywoodcrush.mtv.com/2013/03...

So, now I will have to come up with some casting choices.

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather Finley (heatherfinley) | 49 comments Did they every mention an age for Akiva? I thought he was older looking. I could only picture Nestor Carbonell (Richard on Lost) since his kohl lined eyes were mentioned a bunch of times.

For Karou I kept thinking Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Ramona Flowers in Scott Pilgrim).

message 33: by Mikaela (new)

Mikaela | 4 comments I like Mary Elizabeth Winstead for Karou as well.
Akiva is supposed to be older I think they said around 50 but physically looks to be in his early 20s. I've had a lot of trouble finding the right actor for him, even after getting a better sense of him in the second book I'm still drawing a blank.

message 34: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 9 comments Yes! Ramona Flowers! agreed.

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (chewbecca) Irina wrote: "I only had 1 person in mind when thinking of casting: Zuzana as Lost girl's main character (Bo) human side-kick & BFF: Kenzi aka Ksenia Solo."

I just recently started watching Lost Girl and I totally agree. Ksenia Solo would be perfect for Zuzana! Plus, she was in black swan and can dance :)

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna Irina wrote: "I only had 1 person in mind when thinking of casting: Zuzana as Lost girl's main character (Bo) human side-kick & BFF: Kenzi aka Ksenia Solo."

Oh, this is good. Although, I thought Oksana Akinshina (Lilya 4 ever) could also work (although I don't know if she speaks English, but hey, this is dream casting anyway...).

message 37: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Warkentin I can completely picture Henry Cavill as Akiva. He could get tanned up and have his hair dyed. He's beautiful and he's the right height and build. He also has a natural widows peak.
For those who thinks he seems to old, he's only 29. Born 1983. Also Akiva would look older because he's a seraph that's 50.
http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-con...

message 38: by Cara (last edited Mar 15, 2013 01:50PM) (new)

Cara Mia (Chickowits) | 196 comments Shannon wrote: "I can completely picture Henry Cavill as Akiva. He could get tanned up and have his hair dyed. He's beautiful and he's the right height and build. He also has a natural widows peak.
For those who..."

Would he look older, though? I have no idea what a Seraphs life span is. And it's not that Cavill is old at 29 (same age as me). It's more that because he's my age, I picture the situation reversed, me with a 17 year old guy, and go "ewwwwwww". The character could be aged up, I suppose. I'm not a fan of casting people in their mid-twenties and older to play teens, so I'd rather the actress for Karou was younger.

message 39: by Anna (new)

Anna Cara wrote: Would he look older, though? I have no idea what a Seraphs life span is. And it's not that Cavill is old at 29 (same age as me). It's more that because he's my age, I picture the situation reversed, me with a 17 year old guy, and go "ewwwwwww"

I completely agree... But if going for a younger guy, I think Josh Hutcherson (Peeta Mellark in Hunger Games) would be good. I think if I was 15 years younger, I would think he was sooo dreamy... :)

message 40: by Brittany (last edited Mar 15, 2013 01:56PM) (new)

Brittany (nerdyspinster) | 255 comments Shannon wrote: "I can completely picture Henry Cavill as Akiva. He could get tanned up and have his hair dyed. He's beautiful and he's the right height and build. He also has a natural widows peak.
For those who..."

He's as old as I am. I feel better knowing this. For reasons.

message 41: by KC (last edited Mar 15, 2013 03:34PM) (new)

KC Ryan (kc_ryan) | 51 comments I've been trying to put a face to Akiva, but I had trouble thinking of someone who could carry off scowly face and dry humor. That is, until I thought of Daniel Gordh from the Lizzie Bennet Diaries.
description

For Karou, I love to think of Anna Kendrick with her cuteness and her sass.
description

I'll think of more later...

message 42: by Dee (last edited Mar 16, 2013 02:37PM) (new)

Dee (cheekiidee) | 76 comments For Akiva I kept coming back to the widow's peak, and the sexiest widow's peak I can think of is Jude Law's... (and he also has really intense eyes...which I can totally see as being made "fiery" on film!) And the cleft chin? Yes.

Maybe a young Jude Law? (He really needs to quit smoking it's ruining his complexion!!)

And I think Nina Dobrev is a good choice for Karou! (I really had no ideas until I started reading this thread just *who* I would cast as Karou!)

message 43: by Gary (new)

Gary Dee wrote: "Maybe a young Jude Law? (He really needs to quit smoking it's ruining his complexion!!)"

It's the movies. Slather a bunch of Spackle on him. He'd be fine.

message 44: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 132 comments Michael Fassbender was my Akiva... but then again, he's my everything. I mean... damn. Just, damn.

For Brimstone, since he is a chimaera, I didn't see an actor as much as a voice actor, and since he has an inhumanely resonate and low voice I just kept hearing Tony Todd and Keith David speaking.

message 45: by KC (new)

KC Ryan (kc_ryan) | 51 comments Lindsay wrote: "For Brimstone, since he is a chimaera, I didn't see an actor as much as a voice actor, and since he has an inhumanely resonate and low voice I just kept hearing Tony Todd and Keith David speaking."

I am 100% on board with Keith David for Brimstone.

message 46: by Heather (new)

Heather Finley (heatherfinley) | 49 comments Shannon wrote: "I can completely picture Henry Cavill as Akiva. He could get tanned up and have his hair dyed. He's beautiful and he's the right height and build. He also has a natural widows peak.
For those who..."

Oohhh yeah. Agree.

Even though I don't think he would look 50, I took it that he at least looked like a grown up. I didn't get a 20 something vibe.

message 47: by Cara (last edited Mar 15, 2013 08:16PM) (new)

Cara Mia (Chickowits) | 196 comments Cavill is 5 days older than me! I just always thought he looked like a grown up, The Tudors started when he was 24ish, and he looked damn grown to me. Rawr. For more of him check out I Capture the Castle, he's Stephen. :)

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (cheekiidee) | 76 comments Gary wrote: It's the movies. Slather a bunch of Spackle on him. He'd be fine."

LOL spackle yes!!

message 49: by KC (new)

KC Ryan (kc_ryan) | 51 comments I just watched one of the book trailers for DoSaB and now support Karen Gillian for Zuzanna.

message 50: by Candida (new)

Candida Stamp | 6 comments I was imagining Zuzana as Danielle Harris the whole time. I know she's too old, though, really.

Otherwise, I'm with Veronica. I don't usually imagine characters as actual people who exist.

« previous 1