Clean Reads discussion

How do u define clean??

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alaa (new)

Alaa Barrawi | 12 comments Hi
I am posting again and hoping somebody would answer this time:)I have a new question on mind ) i am new here and i have quite a crucial question?how do u define clean reads i.e. what type of content would make a book rated as an R or PG-13
Thanks all

message 2: by Samm (last edited Feb 16, 2013 03:58PM) (new)

Samm (Ashmanrose) Anything that I wouldn't want to view on screen, I wouldn't want to read.

PG-13 books for me: mild language, mild romance scences, adult content involving racism, war, violence, abuse.

R books: erotica, violent, abuse that is detailed.

My rules change for fiction vs. non-fiction. I'm okay with language if it is a biography and that's just the way the author talks in real life. I'm not okay with it in fiction, since the author is making their living out of writing and I think that they could use a thesaurus and have a better variety of words.

For fiction, I don't want the dirty laundry aired out and on display. I think that what makes a book clean, for me, is something that I wouldn't be embarrassed to talk about in front of my friends' children.

message 3: by Alaa (new)

Alaa Barrawi | 12 comments Thanks alot i agree :)

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele I think it is individual for each person. My language rule is 2 f bombs and I am done, even if I am loving the book. I don't feel I need to be bombarded with that. Each of us has limits to what we feel comfortable with. I grew up with a dad who mildly cussed a lot, so that doesn't affect me like it might someone who isn't used to it. Again it is an individual thing. Hard to define. This is about language, but I think it applies to all aspects of literature, some thing that makes me squirm may not even raise an eyebrow for someone else. Hope that helps.

message 5: by Alaa (new)

Alaa Barrawi | 12 comments It does. Thanks all . i am glad i came across this group finally someone i can share opinions with

message 6: by TJ (last edited Feb 17, 2013 04:29PM) (new)

TJ | 6 comments That's actually a really good question, Alaa, and one we struggle with when doing our professional reviews over at InD'Tale. We originally set up steam ratings so people can pick books they are comfortable with but it can get awfully hard to judge now days.
For us, it runs closely with what Samm said.. Pg-13 can contain sex but it isn't graphically detailed. It also can't contain graphic language - that is not only the repeated use of the F-bomb, but other graphic words for sexual acts, body parts, etc. I think in all areas it has to do with how descriptive the acts, both of sex and violence, etc. are...just like in the movies.
Hope that helps a little. :)

message 7: by Alaa (new)

Alaa Barrawi | 12 comments Thanks all for sharing what you think. And yes TJ you have been very helpful:))

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori | 4 comments I really wish they would add ratings to books. I hate getting into a book and then finding it goes further than I want.

message 9: by Samm (new)

Samm (Ashmanrose) That's why there are places like goodreads! I know there are also some sites that give "ratings" for books. If you did a search you could probably find something helpful. I know at my local library they have a list of sites that rate books.

CompassBookRatings | 26 comments Because the classification of "clean" v. "not-clean" is such a personal thing, it can be difficult to evaluate books. The reviewers at Compass Book Ratings attempt to just summarize the content and give a general indicator of content level in categories for language, violence, and sex so that the reader can decide if the book is for them. www.compassbookratings.com

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Prettyman (DianeOwensprettyman) | 8 comments I would certainly recommend any of Maeve Binchy's books. I am glad to see that her final book published after her death is now on the NYT bestseller list. She had a wonderful career.

message 12: by Chaya (new)

Chaya Gornish | 1 comments her books are clean and really amazing...read them!

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (Handmaiden) | 65 comments Diane and Chaya, have you added any of Maeve Binchy's books that you have read to the group bookshelf? It helps make it easier for group members to find potential new reads, rather than having to look through a bunch of discussion threads.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane Prettyman (DianeOwensprettyman) | 8 comments I will do it right now.

message 15: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (Handmaiden) | 65 comments Looking forward to seeing them when you add them, Diane. :)

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane Prettyman (DianeOwensprettyman) | 8 comments Evening ClassThe Copper BeechFirefly Summer. There are so many. Here are a few. She was certainly prolific. God rest her soul.

message 17: by CarolynB (new)

CarolynB (CarolynLB) | 12 comments Me too! I've been wondering if her books are clean--I've never read any of them. Thanks for letting me know!

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori (llbudahn) | 5 comments For me, a clean book is one that I could read to anyone: my grandmother, my pastor, my boss, my grandchild.... You get the idea. The content might not be interesting to the audience but the text is not offensive.
Beyond Clean I agree with Samm, "PG-13 books for me: mild language, mild romance scences, adult content involving racism, war, violence, abuse.

R books: erotica, violent, abuse that is detailed.

message 19: by Regina (last edited Apr 05, 2013 06:59PM) (new)

Regina Russell | 6 comments I have found myself being even more careful about what I put into my mind through books and television. It's a matter of purity for me so I'm not okay with cursing or descriptive sexual scenes but I do want reality. If I start to read or watch something that raises a red flag, I'd rather just leave it alone but if I see the author or show is not attempting titilation but coming from a perspective of reality, I am more likely to stay with it. And like so many here...I'm sick of certain words that are like tiny assaults on my mind. I would give an R rating to anything containing cursing and/or descriptive sexual content and I would give a PG-13 to anything that danced close to the line of being an R. (mild cursing, violence, romantic scenes between unmarried people.)

message 20: by Alaa (new)

Alaa Barrawi | 12 comments I strongly agree Regina
Thanks

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 4 comments I feel the same way. There is a difference between reality and ugliness. With so many good things to read, why choose any thing else? It is like junk food for the soul. I have regretted every book I stuck with after the first "F" word ( I call it rated R)and if a book is littered with mild swear words I will stop reading it too. (PG-13 to me.)I also stop if any descriptions past kissing or clinging are included, or numerous incidences of it. That gets into PG-13 materia, at least.
I read a book about children soldiers in Africa, "A Long Way Gone". Because of how it was written I was thoughtful, sorrowful, and moved by the content.It was descriptive but did not feel personally contaminated.
I don't want to read a book that I wouldn't let my children read. (Setting aside age appropiate subject matter, like the book I mentioned above. I would say it is PG-13 because of the subject matter, but I am not ashamed to say I read it in front of any one.) I think that is my real rating system, would I claim I read this book?

message 22: by H.D. (new)

H.D. (worleybird10) | 1 comments I define clean as a book I can read without profanity and without detailed account of a love scene. I have good imagination, as most do, and do not appreciate something so sacred being broadcast.

message 23: by Alaa (new)

Alaa Barrawi | 12 comments H.D. wrote: "I define clean as a book I can read without profanity and without detailed account of a love scene. I have good imagination, as most do, and do not appreciate something so sacred being broadcast."

Well said. thank you

message 24: by P.J. (new)

P.J. LaRue I'd define clean as something I wouldn't mind my mom or grandmother knowing that I'm reading. Or something I could reveal to a co-worker without embarrassment.

message 25: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Madsen | 4 comments So nice to find this group! Hi, I'm Kate. I often despair over finding a good clean book to read. Love Alaa's comment 'I have a good imagination...and do not appreciated something so sacred being broadcast.' I also do not like books that detail disturbing events graphically. I don't mind heavy issues being dealt with, but prefer the author to 'cloak' the details, communicating the emotion and feelings in a way that is sensitive and thought provoking. I have five teenagers, and it is so hard to find clean books for them - they look fine on the cover and in reviews, but are so 'lowest common denominator' inside. Looking forward to finding some great reading recommendations, even if 'clean reads' is subjective!

message 26: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) Clean--actually, I like the term appropriate better-- depends on the age. There's no real way to define it, I guess. :)

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane Rapp (DianeRappAuthor) | 86 comments I got 50% into a really good book and plopped into a whole chapter involving graphic torture. I slogged my way through most of it and finally deleted the book from my Kindle. I just couldn't stomach the content. Another time I promised an author a review and found a chapter with REALLY explicit bondage scenes. I skipped through the stuff I didn't want to read and felt grateful there were no more in the book. I felt obligated to mention the explicit nature of some scenes in the book so new readers would be warned. Our Clean Indie Reads group has a fantastic blog where all the books posted are PG rated. You might want to check out the books on this site. http://cleanindiereads.blogspot.com/

It's really nice to feel confident in buying a book that you won't need to trash it before you finish.

message 28: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Harbaugh (ClaudiaHarbaugh) | 2 comments I'm also a member of the Clean Indie Reads and agree with all that has been said. I am a reader and writer of historical romance. I've read some books that promised to be so great...to me it's all about the story and the characters... and then the throbbing body parts showed up. To me, it's just silly. I think innuendo is much more sexy and appealing than graphic sex. I'll save that for my bedroom thank you very much. TV and movies have desensitized the general population and books have followed suit.

message 29: by Dorcas (last edited Sep 21, 2013 04:55PM) (new)

Dorcas (onemorepageplease) | 46 comments Diane wrote: "I got 50% into a really good book and plopped into a whole chapter involving graphic torture. I slogged my way through most of it and finally deleted the book from my Kindle. I just couldn't stom..."

See, this is why I really appreciate HONEST reviews not just "positive " ones. If there's graphic anything that's going to disturb me for the rest of the week I WANT TO KNOW!

message 30: by Diane (new)

Diane Rapp (DianeRappAuthor) | 86 comments If there is a part of the book that disturbs me, as a reviewer, I feel I must mention it to potential buyers. I still felt the writing was good.

message 31: by C. (last edited Sep 27, 2013 08:47AM) (new)

C. | 260 comments I won't even put up with PG-13 language in a book or film.Movies with that rating are disgusting, so strictly PG language only for me,PG-13 on sensuality and violence.

There are some plots that I won't even consider,as well,no harm to a child in any way,nor abuse to women,stalkers,kidnapping,or serial killers.I have read some frightening nonfiction books that are about the oppression of middle-eatern females by radical Islamic men... who are neaderthals!

Fiction to me is for escapism so I want it mostly fun,light,and 'clean'.Even so~ many romances are so full of WOE and ANGST,that they are not even enjoyable to read at all!

Sorry,to stray off the subject! PG language only for me,PG-13 everything else.

I ALWAYS read the 1-2 star reviews at Amazon to see if books/movies are offensive in the way that would turn me off,and I always tell reviewers that disclose this that I appreciate the warning!

message 32: by Jess (new)

Jess Myname | 42 comments I am in the process of pondering exactly what it to much for me. I already tossed t.v. out the window almost 100% just so tiered of the junk. I watch my DVDs that I like. I am cuently working my way thought Sabrina the teenage witch with my girls :) Now I am turning more to books for my down time. I like to keep a book with me to read when I have a free moment. It helps me zone out on my breaks at work so I get an real break. I don't want to read something that I would be embarrass having people see me with. Or that puts thought In my mind that distract me when I go back to work or whatever I need to do. I don't like language at all, I honestly do not see the need for it in a made up story. I feel it is a bit of an easy out. Think of how creative a writer could get replacing those curse words it would add a new demention to the book.

message 33: by Pam (new)

Pam I read mostly Christian books now so don't run into any bad words.I have read harlequin in the past but liked the Love swept series the most.
Its nice to see others who enjoy a sweet romance like me.
I liked historicals but they got to be more about sex then romance.Regencies were another I enjoyed as well and most of them were safe reads.Pam