Brain Science Podcast discussion

2015 > BSP 119/120: Dr. Edward Taub returns to the Brain Science Podcast

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 312 comments Mod
I have just posted BSP 119, which is the first half of a new interview with Dr. Ed Taub whose work is described in Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform Ourselves and The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science.

We talk about how the discovery of brain plasticity inspired him to develop Constraint Induced Movement Therapy, which is a revolutionary approach to rehabilitation for people with brain injuries.

Listen to BSP 119 now

Learn more

message 2: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 312 comments Mod
Here are the links for the second half of the interview:

show notes for BSP 120

audio file

They will be good at 9PM Eastern Time. (3 AM GMT) tonight.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Reece | 4 comments I was first introduced to data that supported neuroplasticity in 1982. That observation was in song birds. When I recently went back to review the subject I was surprised by how long it took to find evidence of neuroplasticity in the human brain. I believe the confirming data came from a cancer study in 1998. The fact of neuroplasticity has changed the entire view of how the brain works. Personally I was pleased to discover an anatomical basis for the observation of long term potentiation following brain stimulation.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Thomas | 4 comments I was very pleased to see that the Physiotherapists in the UK appear to know about CITherapy for stroke patients etc. and are using it. We are lucky that our NHS keeps up-to-date and are enthusiastic enough to try new things. Best of all this service is free.