Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Combined editions issue

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Ciro (carlosciro) | 2 comments Respected Goodreads admins.

I've been using this system for about two weeks and there's something I found that may be inconvenient with the editions combining for books (in as many translations and editions there should be)... The case is, particularly, with "The book of disquiet" (original: Livro do dessassossego). If anyone changes the original publication date of some of the 28 editions combined, the original publication date of all the combined editions do change... With about 30 editions of this book in english, more than 50 in the original portuguese language, 10 in spanish, and so, this is really unconvenient for a good classification of the books...

I love the site and find it very usefull, but this is really an issue for those of us that want to make the references better. I think the link could be made throught a Original title field or something like that instead of the actual combination of editions, that should work for the many editions by some particular publisher of a book.

Thanks for any comment you can make.

P.D. It should be good also to have a "Publication place" field in the book entry form.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44982 comments Mod
The original publication date is SUPPOSED to change. It is the original publication date of the work, not of any specific edition. That should be listed as the publication date for that edition.

Most of your other suggestions would be more likely to be seen by the right people if you post them in the Feedback group.

message 3: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Ciro (carlosciro) | 2 comments Thanks, Rivka. I'll take your recommendations for using the Feedback group.

I understand what you say about... But, I'm not sure I can agree with you. By example. The original book was first published in its original language on 1983. Therefore, three translations are made into english: one of them is published for the first time in 1984, and the other two in 1985, all of them have more than twenty editions until 2008 ¿should be there an original publication date for all them? I think that the unique editions have different original publication date, and that this date should be the date of the first published edition of each one...

(Please excuse my poor english expression, today I'm particularly obtuse) :)

message 4: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Each book has 2 dates to represent it. The publication date, which is when that specific edition was published, and the original publication date which represents the date that the original work was published.

I think that pretty much covers dates needed to know about a book...

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments So, in the example you are giving Carlos, the original publication date on all editions should be 1983 (when it was first published, regardless of language.)

All other editions get a separate publication date, according to when it was published under that ISBN.

In terms of translations, as long as the translator's name is listed on the book, we don't take that into account when combining. Combining is done based on the original text.

Hope this helps clarify things. = )