Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Joy of Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tori (new)

Tori | 217 comments I learned something about books in the last few months since taking this challenge. Does anyone else feel like this is homework? I think I'll drop my goal down to 35 from 50. Seriously. I'm getting married, work full time, moving into a house and the year is almost a quarter of the way over. This feels like I'm trying to cram for a final exam and has taken a great deal of pleasure out of my reading. I don't absorb the words and the story anymore. I just try to read so I can update my Goodreads list. 35 books will make that less of a homework type assignment and more of a "Let's read for pleasure" not to see who can outdo each other. Isn't that what reading is all about?
I'm currently reading Inkheart and I enjoy it. I'm just not going to cram to get through it or any other book worth my time. Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe this group just isn't for me.

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Tori. Just enjoy reading. That's the real point. Inkheart was a fun read. It's perfect for let's read for pleasure. You might also like the Eragon series or the Bartimaeus trilogy.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments I have three young kids and a full time job -- I'm hoping to enjoy fifty books because I love to read but if I don't make it, I don't make it. Don't pressure yourself; just see how far you get and enjoy the journey!

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie I feel that way with certain books, they definitely fall into the category of 'books that must be conquered,' but I've noticed that for myself personally, even having the account on GR has helped motivate me.

But I definitely agree with Wendy and Kate. Don't pressure yourself to plow through the things on your lists just to get them done; we all know that life has a way of interferring - just read what you can, when you can.

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Reading should be fun, 35 is still a great goal (and face it, much more than the average person reads in a year).

The reason I keep a list and have a goal is I am horrid at finishing books (even if I like them). I get distracted easily. So having a list of finished books gives me motivation to actually finish them.

Ultimately, reading should be fun and NOT feel like a chore, whether that's 5 or 100 books.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments I so agree with everyone, that the whole point is enjoyment of reading, not how many books you read. I had set a goal of 75 for this year, and then I ran into an obstacle called the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. There are currently six books in the series, with between 850-1000 pages in each book. I started reading them and loved them, but I knew that my goal of 75 was going to be adversely affected if I continued reading these books. Well, thank goodness I woke up and realize that I didn't care. If I am reading and enjoying what I read, that's all that matters. Now if I get to 50, that would be nice, but I'm no longer going to think about numbers as a goal.

message 7: by KrisT (new)

KrisT The thing is you don't have to read 50 books to be on here and join in the group. You could have set your goal at 1 book per month or 1 book for year if you wanted to and then every book over that would be a bonus. The point is not the count it is the idea that we love to read. By joining groups like this we become more aware of reading...which is a good thing. We see what others are reading, we expand our interests and we find friends that like reading as much as we do. All this is is to bring an awareness to read. Make time for reading but don't kill yourself for a number on a list. :)

message 8: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) I think the real goal of this group is to challenge yourself not others. If you only get to 10 by the end of the year GREAT! Next year try to get to 11.

But keep it fun, and at a pace that is right for you.

BTW... Congrats on your upcoming wedding and new home!

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) I AM DEF NOT GOING TO MAKE 50 EITHER BUT THEY DON'T HAVE A 25 OR 35 GROUP SO JUST DO YOUR BEST AND IF YOU DON'T MAKE IT OH WELL. WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN WILL GOODREADS KICK YOU OFF YOUR FREE MEMBERSHIP LOL. I AM ONLY AT 9

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 83 comments I love how supportive and encouraging you guys are being on this thread! LOVE IT! Kick ass, GoodReaders!

message 11: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (plantwoman) | 160 comments Fifty is a worthy goal to aspire to, but one shouldn't feel like a failure if one doesn't make it! For heaven's sake, reading is supposed to be fun! If it becomes a chore, then stop reading for a while and do something else. Most of us have enough going on in our lives so that "something else" really isn't hard to find.

This is going to be an exciting - but stressful - year for you, Tori. Reading should be an escape, a refuge when you need to get away from it all. Don't worry about 50 - just read!

message 12: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) Dorothy wrote: "Fifty is a worthy goal to aspire to, but one shouldn't feel like a failure if one doesn't make it! For heaven's sake, reading is supposed to be fun! If it becomes a chore, then stop reading for a..."

Good point, Dorothy. I am a bit behind in my goal of 50 books but I am not losing sleep. I read because I enjoy it and if everyday life slows my reading down, so be it. Balance is the key.

message 13: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Hello, I'm the unofficial Yahoo Lady. In this group we celebrate EVERYONE. As I tell my 25 year old son who is still getting his BFA...LIFE IS NOT A RACE. It's not the number that counts, it the counting that counts. I applaud ALL of US. Maybe we should call this group, "How many books do I read in a year" Whatever that number is it's the right, perfect one for you!

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Mary Todd wrote: "Hello, I'm the unofficial Yahoo Lady. In this group we celebrate EVERYONE. As I tell my 25 year old son who is still getting his BFA...LIFE IS NOT A RACE. It's not the number that counts, it the..."

MARY TODD I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF.

message 15: by Deb (new)

Deb Love what you are reading and love to read - if you start feeling like it is 'homework' slow down and read less books or try a different genre! I love to read and feel deprived when I can't get my book fix! Just enjoy what you are reading -- not how many books in a year!