Beantown Bookworms discussion

so what's everyone reading at the moment?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Michele This will probably sound crazy but I'm not sure If I can read the final Harry Potter book - there are so many rumours about Harry dying and I'm not sure I can bear it. :)

Right now I'm working on Don Quixote and 101 Arabian Knights but not making much progress on either.

I am finding them quite enjoyable and plan on cutting back on some other things to spend more time reading.

message 2: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 8 comments I just finished reading "After Dark" by Haruki Murakami and I am about to embaark on "The Piano Tuner" by Daniel Mason.

message 3: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Kate | 2 comments Last week finished up How Doctors Think and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay, both really good and quick reads. Slowly making my way through The Diamond Age, not because it's not a quick read but because it's at the bottom of my work bag to keep for slow periods so I don't get caught out without something to read.

I will actually be upset if Harry doesn't die in this last one -- I honestly think that's how she's been writing it and I don't see another coherent way out of it. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. What I'm really really worried about is learning the ending by accident in a review or something!

message 4: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Jennifer Hi,
I read "The Piano Tuner" a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I would be interested in hearing your opinion. I don't want to give my impressions until after you are finished.

message 5: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 8 comments Hi Jennifer. I finished reading The Piano Tuner serveral weeks ago. I liked it although I probably wouldn't rank it amongst my favorite books ever.

Now, I am reading "A Trip to the Beach" which is a non-fiction book written by a couple from Vermont who moved to Anguilla and opened a restaurant.

message 6: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Erin | 1 comments I'm currently reading "The Inheritance of Loss" which I'm having a hard time getting into. Just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" which I liked, but prefer "Kite Runner" over it.

I plan on reading "All Souls" next. I just moved to the Boston area and am anxious to get to know the city thru books.

message 7: by Bridgette (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Bridgette Kelly | 1 comments Hello
Currently reading "The Messenger" by Daniel Silva- very interesting. Recently finished The Handmaids Tale which I recommend highly by Margaret Atwood. Have a great day!

message 8: by secondwomn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

secondwomn (dragonbird) | 4 comments just finished dave eggers's "what is the what," slowly working my way through the poetry of julia de burgos, and started "death, burial, and rebirth in the religions of antiquity" by jon davies (for a class), plus i'm reading the august issue of poetry magazine & the september/october issue of yoga journal (yes, i think magazines count).

message 9: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Rebekah Erin - I loved "All Souls."
Kate - I hear you about Harry Potter, people started to give away pieces of it, so I just put the rest of my books down and read it because I was afraid I'd learn too much.

Im currently reading:
Omnivore's Dilemma for the Rhythm and Muse book group.
Jesus Land by Julia Sheers

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments I ordered Atonement by Ian McEwan with a BN gift card and I started it immediately! It's fabulous! I am also reading Drinking Coffee Elsewhere by ZZ Packer and an academic book The Life of Judaism. I am neglecting the latter two because I am so into Atonement. His writing is so refreshing and beautiful!

message 11: by Roy (last edited Jan 13, 2008 05:06AM) (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 18 comments Cat, if you haven't read anything by Peter Mayle, I recommend you do so. They're funny yet poignant, especially if you've ever been an expatriate.

Cuttenrly reading >Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance< by Robert M. Pirsig

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Thaggard | 5 comments Seriously! After seeing 'Golden Compass', I've sworn off seeing movies of books I like. It sounds like I've gotta read 'Atonement'!

message 13: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 2 comments I just finished 'Skinny Dip' by Carl Hiaasan and now I'm reading 'Savannah Blues' by Mary Kay Andrews. They take place in warmer climates (Florida and Georgia respectively,) and it's kind of fun in all this snowy weather.

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hi, I'm new to this group...Want to know what I reading? Mr. Pip by New Zealand-based writer Lloyd Jones. So far, so good. I think it'll end up being at least a 4-star rating, but we'll see where it goes.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott Gillespie (scottg) I'm reading Tiger: The Ultimate Guide. I love tigers and other big cats. I went to a wildlife preserve last summer and paid too much $$$ to take a private tour. And got to pet a lion cub!

Ongoing reads:

This Book Will Change Your Life is a little hard to describe. Part philosophy, part self-help guide, part psychoanarchy. It's funny and bizarre. It offers daily instructions with the goal of pushing you into new thought patterns and making you laugh too.

And

The Zombie Survival Guide: 2008 Day-to-Day Calendar because the zombie apocalypse is coming.

message 16: by Susan (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:38AM) (new)

Susan | 4 comments I am just about finished with Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. Excellent book. I finished all the Harry Potter Books last summer and have kept up with the Marcus Didius Falco mysteries by Lindsey Davis too. Still have to decide what to read next (tomorrow!)I have many to choose from!

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (iamkristen) | 1 comments I am reading The Secret. I never got into self-help/new age genres but this book is really changing my outlook on things. It is very positive and it is helping me to become a happier person. I suggest this book for everyone who is unhappy with their lives, or for those who have great ambitions.

message 18: by John (new)

John Flynn (mcflynnthm) I'm reading Foundation by Asimov. I've always meant to get into his stuff, and I'm finally doing it. The book is great so far!

message 19: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 18 comments Currently reading >Katahdin< by John Neff. It is an interesting history of the region around that great mountain.

message 20: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (drcaroline) | 1 comments For everyone in Beantown, I'd love to suggest my book--Profiling Your Date: A Smart Woman's Guide to Evaluating a Man. I promise, it's the most real and useful relationship/self-help book you'll read!

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4 comments I just finished 3 cups of Tea and it was great, but yesterday I was packing up all of my Foundation books and other Asimov books to give away and remembering how much I enjoyed them when I read most of them 25 years ago. Asimov wrote some really good mystery stories also, and they were not all science fiction. Then of course are his nonfiction works which were great! Maybe I will go pull them out of the box!
Enjoy the Foundation, and the ones that come afterward too!

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 3 comments i am currently reading "the witch of portobello" which is pretty good. i never read any of paulo coehlo's works before but it's pretty fast moving.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4 comments I am currently reading Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children of all ages by Harold Bloom. It is an interesting collection of mostly Victorian era writing for children, some of which I have read before, and some of which is new to me. I got it because I thought it might help me when taking the MTEL teacher test (it really didn't). When I finish it I will go back to reading Unsolved Mysteries of History by Paul Aron which has lots of little nuggets of history in it.

message 24: by She'Davia (new)

She'Davia Williams (redsoxocd) I just finished reading A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby and today I started Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self Mutilation by Steven Levenkron.

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannonkakkar) I always read a ton of books at once. Right now, I'm reading "Churchill" by Roy Jenkins, "Dracula" by Broker, "Tales from the 1001 Arabian Nights", "Report to Greco" by Nikos Kazantzakis, and "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer, and the more frivolous mind-candy: "Cotillion" by Georgette Heyer.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Currently working on "This is a Bust" by Ed Lin. Next up is "Black Mass" about that lovable scamp, Whitey Bulger.

message 27: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 7 comments Right now I am reading On Beauty

message 28: by Dfunky1 (new)

Dfunky1 I'm reading Teaching With Your Mouth Shut by Donald Finkel.

message 29: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 3 comments i'm reading "girl with a pearl earring"

message 30: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (triviageek28) | 1 comments I'm currently reading "Empire Falls" by Richard Russo.

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4 comments I am reading The Freedom Writers Diary by Gruwell, Breaking Through by Jimenez, (both of which I am working with kids in my classes, and Eureka! 81 Key Ideas Explained by Macrone. I think they are all very good in different ways.
I just finished reading Beowulf again too.

message 32: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 18 comments Currently reading _Wilderness and the American Mind_, a description of how we approach wilderness and the preservation of wild places.

message 33: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Hello All! I'm new to the group! Currently reading Blindness by Jose Saramago. Unfortunately, I just saw the movie before reading the novel.
/Juliana

message 34: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 3 comments I am reading House of Leaves...enjoying it so far.

Juliana-Blindness is such a great book...I read it last month but have yet to see the movie

message 35: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 18 comments With all the political discussion leading up to the first week of November, I am currently reading _Crunchy Cons_ by Rod Dreher. I have already learned that I'm one of 'em.

message 36: by Dfunky1 (new)

Dfunky1 I just completed The Wreck of the Medusa by Jonathan Miles. For history buffs and art historians it's interesting. I would have like less reportage and more creative non-fiction elements though.

I'm now reading Tim Moore's Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago which, so far, is quite funny and engaging.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (ser_pez) I'm reading a collection of nonfiction edited by Ira Glass (the host of the NPR show 'This American Life') called 'The New Kings of Nonfiction. So far it's really good.

message 38: by Dfunky1 (new)

Dfunky1 I just finished reading Tim Moore's Travels with my Donkey: One Man and his Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago. It was hilarious.

I'm now reading Counter Clock World by Philip Dick and am going to start David Sedaris' When You are Engulfed in Flames.

message 39: by John (new)

John Flynn (mcflynnthm) I just finished reading "Our Band Could Be Your Life" by Michael Azerrad (sp). Really interesting stuff if you're interested in the bands mentioned or the early independent music scene of the late 70s/early '80s.

Now I have a $25 gift card to B&N that I need to spend. So this thread will be great for suggestions :D

message 40: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 7 comments I am reading The Dark Tide, which is a book about the Molasses Flood in Boston, which hits close to home, plus the anniversary is coming up in a few weeks so my book club is reading it. I like it a lot, and can't believe I didn't know more about this!

message 41: by Mary (new)

Mary | 1 comments Just finished Marilyn Manson's book and loved it. I'm a big fan of his and would definitely recommend that anyone who likes him read the book.
Don't know what I'm going to read next yet. My list of books to read is so long; I don't know where to begin.

message 42: by Scott (new)

Scott Gillespie (scottg) John wrote: "I'm reading Foundation by Asimov. I've always meant to get into his stuff, and I'm finally doing it. The book is great so far!"

As a teenager I read a bunch of Asimov and about three years ago decided to read the entire Robot/Empire/Foundation series in chronological order. My next title to read is Prelude to Foundation. A lot of the early robot stuff is fun, but so far I'm finding the rest kind of dry.

message 43: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 3 comments I am currently reading The Thirteenth Tale and War and Peace...