Sugar (Sugar Lacey, #1) Sugar discussion

The end

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kisha (last edited Jan 31, 2013 01:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

kisha Reading of course is always about the readers perception, never facts. There are so many ways to interpret the ending. How do you interpret it? Was it a happy or sad ending? Did Sugar leave town defeated by the town folk? Or, do you see it as a positive move in the right direction? What do you think?

message 2: by M (new) - rated it 4 stars

M Landry Sugar left in a state of tranquility, as the book says. She was unconcerned with the opinions of the people of Bigelow, and because of her ability to ignore their judgments and not allow them to burden her, it was a positive ending. I want Sugar to leave prostitution behind all "Pretty Woman" style, and at the end, it is not clear if she is off to continue the life of selling herself for money as she always has, but since she comes into the church dressed as the old Sugar, I lean towards the idea that she is, which makes the ending sad for me. I am anxious to read the second book, however, and see where Sugar's journey leads her.

Saundra kisha wrote: "Reading of course is always about the readers perception, never facts. There are so many ways to interpret the ending. How do you interpret it? Was it a happy or sad ending? Did Sugar leave tow..."

It's been along time since I read this book. I need to read it again. Because I loved it. This was one of the books that actually got me into African American reading.