Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Last Book U Started & Stopped

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mo (last edited Jan 07, 2008 11:36AM) (new)

Mo | 30 comments Mod
As a self-confessed and proud book buying/reading addict, I often start a book and then throw it down because the book snob in me just cannot waste precious reading time on uninspiring, mind-numbing, sleep-inducing material. There are too many GOOD books to read and just too little time in life to read them all to force myself to read a book I'm not enjoying. What is the last book you started and stopped and why?

I recently started and stopped Jen Lancaster's Bitter is the New Black, not because the book falls into the categories of any of the adjectives above (I'm sure it's a pretty good book b/c it's raved about by chick-lit lovers everywhere). I stopped because I generally don't enjoy chick lit and found this book to be much like a lot of the chick lit I've started and stopped in the past - no matter how good it is, I often either skim it quickly or just become too bored to finish it. I am beating myself up for paying $13.95 for the book when it is now at the bottom of one of my deep office drawers to be retrieved . .. oh, someday.

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 16 comments Recently i tired to read "The Story of B" I just couldnt bring myself to finish the story. Not that it was poorly written, i just didnt buy into the plot

message 3: by pop (new)

pop Oh, I can't name them all. I stop reading about as many as I finish, these days. I've noticed that since I've started writing, I'm a whole lot more persnickity about what I'll spend my time reading. I just won't put up with bad writing, poor plots, or other such things. I've also come to hate the past tense style of writing, since if you read it it often doesn't make sense, such as "Jason liked the way her hair drapes to her shoulders" What? he did like it but doesn't now? Then there's the dreaded "Was now" "He hadn't ever seen the garden bathed in such a bright moonlight, as it was now." Was now? that can't be, and shouldn't be. Either it's was then, or is now. I'll put up with the past tense from certain authors, since their writing is so good it overcomes it, but from most, I won't.

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (Mercy20) The most recent started/stopped reading for me was The Road. I just could not get into it at all and am wondering if I'm really missing something since everyone who's read it raves about how great and wonderful it is. I found the writing style boooooring and dry.

message 5: by Mabs (new)

Mabs (astarteia) | 1 comments well... lets see... recently I've developed a bit of a nervous behaviour - so I'm probably starting more books and leaving them on my desk than actually reading them.
I've started Vernon God Little and I was really in to it, but I forgot it at a friend's house and for some reason didn't try to finish it afterwards. Started Harry Potter (the last one) - but I've kinda lost the love that I had for J.K.'s books, plus I don't remember the halfblood prince, so I wasn't getting anything.
Started this book in Portuguese about a lawyer, which is very nice, but almost in slow motion.
Started Infidel. A friend lent it to me. Scared by the size of it - don't say it, I'm lazy.
And while I gave up all of these, I've finished only one - a dan brown one.
the bad thing is, I get depressed when I give up on a book...