Vampire Lovers! discussion

Dead Until Dark

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 11 comments The first book of the series has been fun. It is a light fun read. The protagonist is Sookie Stackhouse, and she is a mind-reader. The book is a mystery, and the vampires are almost peripheral. Japanese synthetic blood has allowed them to come out of the closet, and exit among humans. So, there are good, or "mainstreaming" vampires, and ones that are not so nice. There is some erotica in the tale, but these vampires are not steeped in the gravitas or sensuality of Rice's creations. It's a very different take on the genre, and definitely worth the read.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I really like this series. It is so much fun! These are vampire books I would recommend to people, who aren't into horror. Definitely a lot of fun, you can't help but enjoy them.

message 3: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I loved this series. I read it after reading Twilight and I thought it was a lot better because they were more adult. I read them all in a span of 3 months.

message 4: by Vampire Lady (new)

Vampire Lady (vampirelady) | 2 comments I HATED the first book. The main character was way too naive and stupid. The only redeeming character/quality was Sam. I did not understand Sookie's love or whatever you call it for Bill at all. I didn't even attempt the second book. When I read Dead Until Dark I was reading 2 books a week, this one took me about 2 weeks to read and made me not want to read anything else for a month. It turned me off to books, I felt it was that bad.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I'm sorry that you felt that way, Vampire Lady! I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was alot of fun!

message 6: by Vipiflower (new)

Vipiflower | 2 comments I enjoyed reading this book-light reading

message 7: by Terra (new)

Terra Synn (terrasynn) | 11 comments This book had my hard pounding, my pulse racing and my heart yearning. I loved it and the entire series.

message 8: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 12 comments I've read the whole series, and really like it. Some books are going to be better then others, but the books are not long (about 250 - 275 pages) (I prefer 350 - 400) and I really like the characters. It's a fun series to read & Sookie's life gets more interesting as the series goes on.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica I've read most of the series, I think I have one book left, and after book 4 the books started to get silly. I feel like the Sookis Stackhouse series was origanlly supposed to be shorter but since it was so popular Charles Harris kept it going...

message 10: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 7 comments I just started to read this book. I am going to have trouble though to not compare it to the TV show but so far it's quite good and even better than the show.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (luvmynook23) | 4 comments i just finished Dead Until Dark & I LOVED it! Yes Sookie was alittle.....ummm lets see how should I put it, yes I guess naieve, but I did enjoy it, although I feel like I am the last person on earth to read it!lol but I refuse to watch the Tru Bloods series until after I read the books, it will just ruin it 4 me! and I just bought the 2nd book Living Dead in Dallas & cant wait to get into it!

message 12: by Kristina (new)

Kristina giarrante (oitnblover96) | 2 comments I adored the first 9 books, but the the ones after that are not that good which is sad because this series got me into the vampire genre:(

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (paranormalromancejunkie) | 9 comments I CANT GET INTO THE SOOKIE STACKHOUSE SERIES BUT I LOVE TO WATCH MY TRUE BLOOD SERIES...CANT WAIT TIL THE NEXT SEASON COMES OUT...YAY...IM A LOYAL BILL FAN...I DID LIKE ERIC...WHEN HE OWNED THE VAMP CLUB...WHEN HE HAD HIS LONG HAIR ON STAGE SITTING IN THAT GOURGEOUS THRONE...I REALLY DONT LIKE HIM MUCH ANYMORE...IM A TRUE BLOOD BUFF...SORRY...

message 14: by O (new)

O | 2 comments This is a really fun series of books about vampires. I really like the fun-lightness of them, in spite of more and more scary darkness creeps in the stories. Sookie is naive at the beginning, but later on she amends in spades.