The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (new)

Colin (colin99) | 11 comments Hi! I'm very new to this group so thought I'd give a quick intro. I'm a 40 year old in Toronto who is a very addicted to my ebook reader. I bounce around between genres; I find almost anything interesting. Mostly I'm a sci-fi fan, a conspiracy novel fan with a spattering of general fiction. I'm currently reading QuickSilver by Neal Stephenson. If I find a writer I like, I'll try to read all this works (which keeps me away from certain writers).

Colin

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10120 comments Mod
Hi Colin.
Thanks for joining and introducing yourself...
You will certainly find tons of recommendations here for the genres you love, and even for some you have never tried before....Hope your prepared for Book Overload!

message 3: by Colin (new)

Colin (colin99) | 11 comments Hi Fiona, I started off reading Anathem - it struck the right balance of sci-fi and philosophy with me. I also read Crytonomicon which has characters that are the descendents of the ones in Quicksilver. I liked Cryptonomicon enough to continue on with him (my completist nature starts to come out after I read a couple novels by any writer!).
I definitely agree that it's hard to get into. I've had the same experience with his other books. You almost have to slug out the first 100 pages until his books starts moving.
In quicksilver, I love the 17th century feel and whole 'age of discovery' world.

message 4: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Colin,

Welcome to a fantastic group!!!

message 5: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments Hi Colin. Welcome to TNBBC.

message 6: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hello Colin!!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Colin!

message 8: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Welcome to the group Colin!

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Welcome to the group.