What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Acquired Motives (Dr. Sylvia Strange #2)
This topic is about Acquired Motives
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Arson in hot weather [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stars272 (last edited Mar 07, 2009 09:23PM) (new)

Stars272 | 4 comments Adult Crime/thriller/mystery.
I 'read' this book as an audio book about 5-10 years ago. It was about an arson, the female hero/cop/detective searches for a suspect whose last name is 'White' whose previous actions (possibly he was a serial killer by arson) had left/sent his girlfriend (first name 'Violet') to a mental institution, where the cop(s) go to interview her, and she is able to help them find him.
All through the book, the very hot weather is a focus, which leads me to think possibly it is set in Arizona - but any desert states are a possibility. The main character has a boyfriend and keeps a bottle of vodka in her freezer (random detail, but she uses it at least once to cool down) I think she might live in a trailer or mobile home. She is possibly Latino/Hispanic, but her boyfriend is white.
Im pretty sure that the author is female and is not a popular name (example: not Patricia Cornwell et al. I'd never hear of her/him before) The cover of the audio book was orange.

message 2: by April Ann (last edited Mar 09, 2009 07:27AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Money to Burn A Casey Jones Mystery (Casey Jones Mysteries) by Katy Munger Money to Burn by Katy Munger?

Blaze by JoAnn Ross Blaze by Joann Ross

message 3: by Stars272 (new)

Stars272 | 4 comments Thanks alot for the suggestions April Anne, but neither are right. The second, 'Blaze' is closer. I will keep racking the ol' brain....

message 4: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments I'll look some more when I get a chance, maybe it can be found with a "read alike" search.

message 5: by Stars272 (new)

Stars272 | 4 comments Awesome, thank you so much! Ive run out of idea's - been looking at all kinds of sites with no luck as yet. Fingers crossed! :-D

message 6: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments This is a mystery read alike site...maybe you can find it here.

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Rea...

message 7: by April Ann (last edited Mar 10, 2009 05:25AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments What about Flashpoint by Linda Barnes? The main character's name is Carlotta. Flashpoint by Linda Barnes

If not this one, could it be another in the series? I think they're set in Boston though.

message 8: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments If you like Female Leads, you might like…
Linda Barnes
Nevada Barr

Eleanor Taylor Bland

Dorothy Cannell

Jill Churchill

Liza Cody

Patricia Cornwell

Janet Dawson

Susan Dunlap

Linda Fairstein

Carolina Garcia-Aguilera

Leslie Glass

Linda Grant

Karen Kijewski

Laurie R. King

Sarah Lovett
Margaret Maron

Lee Martin

Lia Matera

Carol O'Connell

Lillian O'Donnell

B. J. Oliphant

Abigail Padgett

Thomas Perry

Sandra West Prowell

J. D. Robb

S. J. Rozan

Judith Van Gieson

Mary Willis Walker

Valerie Wilson Wesley

Sandra Scoppettone

message 9: by Stars272 (new)

Stars272 | 4 comments I FOUND IT!!! I found it through the read-a-like site you recommended. It's 'Acquired Motives' by Sarah Lovett.
Thank you very much for helping me out! :-D :-D

message 10: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Woo hooo!!!!