Daily Diary discussion

LISTS > Three 5 star books

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsey (last edited Jan 06, 2008 06:22AM) (new)

Kelsey (kelseym) | 1 comments Hi Pluto Ed - hope all is well with you :) This is a nice idea for a group - thanks for starting it.

Over the holidays I finished three 5 star books in a row. That certainly doesn't happen often! They all created a magical world in different ways:

1. Ham On Rye by Charles Bukowski. Puts you in a sad, pensive mood because the memorable main character Hank Chinaski's post Depression-era childhood was just so sad. Filled with more punching, drinking, and people being mean to each other then I've ever read. Will at least make you feel good about your own life.

2. The Delivery Man by Joe McGinniss Jr.
Simple and eloquent writing style and story about self-destructive people who can't get out of their own way. Superbly articulates that feeling of impending doom you have that things are messed up these days but you're not sure why.

3. Song Yet Sung by James McBride. Wonderful insight into the secretive communications that happended within the underground railroad.

Three books guaranteed to take you out of your own reality :)

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
Hi Kelsey. Thanks. I haven't read any of those three and like all of those authors. Bukowski always puts me in a certain mood..contemplative...sometimes sad.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Thanks, Kelsey...Joe McGinnis is coming to one of our local bookstores (Powell's) and I wasn't sure if I'd go since I didn't know much about the book. Think I'll go now, thanks to your comments.