The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #3) The Wishsong of Shannara discussion

Terry Brooks

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rod Terry Brooks earns high marks for plot, characterization, and originality. There is depth here not often found in fantasy novels.

Kathryn Araki Im like halfway through this book and I think it's pretty good but the sword of shannara was sooo slow this one's better. my school has all of the books but NO ONE I know has read them but me.

Kathryn Araki I just finished the wishsong of shannara and i loved it. now im going to read the merlin conspiracy

Jenn i dunno, i cant get through the shannara series. i read the first king of shannara and luved it so i started the sword of shannara and i cant get through the first 10 pages. i tried to read the sword about 3-4 timnes now and cant get through the first chapter. does it get better after a few chapters? should i keep trying? what do u think???

@_@

message 5: by Rod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rod Yes, I would recommend that you push on. It sometimes takes awhile to lay the groundwork for a story and it can be slow. Since you enjoyed the first King of Shannara book, there is a very good chance that you will enjoy the others. Brooks' writing is very consistent.

message 6: by Kathryn Araki (last edited Mar 21, 2009 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn Araki Jenn,
I didn't like the sword of shannara that much but the end was rreeeaaaalllllyyyy good. I was suprised I actually finished it. the elfstones of shannara and the wishsong of shannara are a LOT better. those are the only books in that series I like. but if you really CANT read it I would suggest reading percy jackson and the olympians, the bartemeaus trilogy,the Abhorsen trilogy, harry potter of course, and the merlin conspiracy (which Im reading now.but it''s not a series.

Dainan This was the second time I've read this series. The first time was close to 20 years ago. This is my favorite of his first series as well. I agree, too, that the Sword was the slowest to begin, but it is a good read by the end. Of course, it was his first book and I think he learned afterwards to pick up the pace. Anyway, great read, even for a second time, and highly recommended.

message 8: by Kathryn Araki (last edited Jun 13, 2009 10:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn Araki jenn,
i could barely get through it and my friends say im patient with books. it doesn't get better after the first few chapters it's only good at like the last 100 pgs. i think you should just skip it
youl understand the rest of them without it

Jenn thanks kat_18. and i have read the percy jacksons and HP of course!

@_@

message 10: by C.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.D. Hussey This was one of my all-time favorite series as a kid. I actually started with Elfstones (haha, about 23 years ago) and then went back to Sword. I agree Sword is a little slow, but the others are much better.

I will say, I write romance now and Allanon was the first character I fell in love with, and probably influenced me the most when it came to romantic heroes - as strange as that sounds. Well, him and Rhett Butler.

Geeta My introduction to Terry Brooks was with Isle Witch, so I read those books first and then read his older ones. I agree that Sword was slow and not one of my favorites, but I enjoyed Elfstones and Wishsong.

There are those that argue his work is formulaic, but that never detracted from the magic for me. I also love his newer works which bridge Shannara with the Word and Void.

Sarah Halprin Jenn wrote: "i dunno, i cant get through the shannara series. i read the first king of shannara and luved it so i started the sword of shannara and i cant get through the first 10 pages. i tried to read the swo..."

I have read every single one of Terry Brooks books and a couple of them are harder to get into, but loved them nevertheless. Push on and make it through and you will be happy that you did.

I read them in chronological order and not published order so that helped a lot for me personally. But if you really cannot get into that book, then move on to the next and go back to it if you feel the need.

Michael Duncan I had read the Shannara series as a teen and I will admit that it was (along with many others) a catalyst for me to step into the world of fantasy writing. I loved the descriptiveness and the beauty. Terry painted a world with words.

Michael Duncan - Author Shadows: Book of Aleth, Part One

message 14: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth Kevghas I had a chance to see him in person at a recent book-signing in Concord, NH at Gibson's Bookstore! It was fantastic to listen to him read from one of his unpublished works in progress. I have been reading the Shannara books over the past 3 years and hearing him pushed me back into reading more of his books. I am now reading the Legends of Shannara series- a signed copy of Bearers of the Black Staff-- the first chapter has already immersed me into that world again.

Kevin Jenn wrote: "i dunno, i cant get through the shannara series. i read the first king of shannara and luved it so i started the sword of shannara and i cant get through the first 10 pages. i tried to read the swo..."

Brooks books are hard to read in tandem because they all take place 10+ years after the events of the previous book. Take a break and go back to it again. They're worth it.

message 16: by Nick (last edited Feb 22, 2012 08:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Marsden You can actually start with Elfstones and go from there. Like Kevin said, they take place at different times, all with different characters. That was my initial disappointment with the first trilogy. All three books have different characters. Shea (the hero from Sword) only has a cameo at the beginning of Elfstones, then Wishsong takes place another generation down the line. Elfstones has more impact on the events of Wishsong than Sword does, though the second trilogy is mostly about the Sword.

edit: The sad thing is, if you've read Elf-King, the big payoff plot twist of Sword has been ruined for you anyway. After that, the best part of the Sword is the sub-plot involving Balinor.

Caron Rider I loved the fact that the books had different characters but were set in the same world with the same history. It gave me a sense of continuity but with a freshness that trilogys often lack. I wish Brooks would write faster!

Eko Prasetyo Caron wrote: " I wish Brooks would write faster"

He is one of the most consistently fast writing fantasy novel writers. Compare him with G.R.R. Martin.

message 19: by Levi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Levi Eko wrote: "Caron wrote: " I wish Brooks would write faster"

He is one of the most consistently fast writing fantasy novel writers. Compare him with G.R.R. Martin."

Terry is always 2 books ahead when he publishes a book

Alyssa Terry Brooks is one of my favorite Fantasy Authors. Actually, he's the only person that I actively buy/collect books for.

This might be because my Mother use to read me The Elf Queen of Shannara when I was a kid (like 10 years old). Actually, Terry Brooks is probably the Author that made me want to become an Author myself.

I love that he merged his two series, I though it was a pretty cool move. I've read all these series several times and even though they might be slow I encourage you to press on!

I haven't read anything of the High Druids of Shannara yet, quick frankly I didn't quite like Grianne Ohmsford...or maybe I just miss Walker. ;_;

message 21: by C.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.D. Hussey Alyssa wrote: "Actually, Terry Brooks is probably the Author that made me want to become an Author myself.."

Me too. The first, full length novel I ever wrote (I was 12) was pretty much Terry Brooks fanfic.

Alyssa Me too. The first, full length novel I ever wrote (I was 12) was pretty much Terry Brooks fanfic."

Mine was just messed up but it was fantasy.(that happened to take place on a different planet of MAGIC. lol) These days I'm more of a Supernatural kinda girl. ^_^