Y.A WRITERS! discussion

Buddy Reading > The Host: Stephenie Meyer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shav (new)

Shav (keelahlove) | 1004 comments Mod
The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer

message 2: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Hello, I've already read this book, so can I just join in on the discussion if I have to read one?

message 3: by Shav (new)

Sure :)

message 4: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Thanks!

message 5: by Shav (new)

I have the book, now we have to wait for Becks

message 6: by Shav (new)

Table of Contents

Prologue-Inserted
1-Remembered
2-Overheard
3-Resisted
4-Dreamed
5-Uncomforted
6-Followed
7-Confronted
8-Loved
9-Discovered
10-Turned
11-Dehydrated
12-Failed
13-Sentenced
14-Disputed
15-Guarded
16-Assigned
17-Visited
18-Bored
19-Abandoned
20-Freed
21-Named
22-Cracked
23-Confessed
24-Tolerated
25-Compelled
26-Returned
27-Undecided
28-Unenlightened
29-Betrayed
30-Abbreviated
31-Needed
32-Ambushed
33-Doubted
34-Buried
35-Tried
36-Believed
37-Wanted
38-Touched
39-Worried
40-Horrified
41-Vanished
42-Forced
43-Frenzied
44-Healed
45-Succeeded
46-Encircled
47-Employed
48-Detained
49-Interrogated
50-Sacrificed
51-Prepared
52-Seperated
53-Condemned
54-Forgotten
55-Attached
56-Welded
57-Completed
58-Finished
59-Remembered
Epilogue-Continued

We have 61 chapters. How about we read 5 chapters every two or three days?

message 7: by Rebecca, The Nerd (new)

Rebecca Zeno (becca_zeno54) | 718 comments Mod
That's good, but maybe 5 chapters per four days? Then after my exams I'll be back and probably will read 5 chapters in three days.
(Exams last this week)

Alright, so we meet again on Tuesday? Maybe... 6pm Central?

message 8: by Shav (new)

Okay :) so we'll meet next Tuesday?

message 9: by Rebecca, The Nerd (new)

Shavony wrote: "Okay :) so we'll meet next Tuesday?"

Yup :)

Did you read them? I did :) Uh, discuss for now?

Were there any parts you didn't understand?
-No

Were there parts you didn't like?
-Yes, I was a little confused on how they started the book, I felt like I was reading the second book of a series or something.

What did you like about the chapters?
-I liked the dream thing she had about meeting Jared and how he just randomly kisses her and stuff, it made me laugh.

Anything else?
-Not that I can think of right now.

Just do the same as I did, answer the questions, then we can go from there, maybe a quiz or something?

message 10: by Shav (new)

Ezmerath wrote: "hey I know it's a little late but can I join. I'm a fast reader so I'm sure I'll catch up :)"

Of course. You'll have to read till chapter 10 by saturday

message 11: by Shav (new)

Were there any parts you didn't understand?
No, not at all

Were there parts you didn't like?
Yes, I know that the book is supposed to be all about Melannie, but now it's all wanderer, THERE SHOULD BE MORE FLASHBACKS!!!!

What did you like about the chapters?
the flashbacks, I need more!!

Anything else?
nope

message 12: by Shav (new)

Wow

message 13: by Shav (new)

1. What is your opinion about Melanie, Kathy and wanderer?
2. What do you think of the interaction problem?

3. Why do you think that Wanderer didn't answer the question plan out 'Fire World'?
4. What do you think of the Seeker?

5. What did you think of the building in the middle of the desert?
6. Was there something you didn't understand?

message 14: by Rebecca, The Nerd (new)

I'll post all of that tomorrow, this weekend was beyond busy and I only got to chapter 7, will post ^ ASAP!

Meeting- Wednesday, January 23, 2013?

message 15: by Shav (new)

Sure :D
You still have exams?

message 16: by Rebecca, The Nerd (new)

I just finished on Wednesday. I feel so terrible but I still haven't updated. For now, I am demanding myself to post the answers by tomorrow. I feel so bad for not coming to the meetings on time. If I don't update on time, just go on without me. I'll catch up at some point I swear :)

message 17: by Shav (new)

:( i miss you

message 18: by Shav (new)

Table of Contents:
11-Dehydrated
12-Failed
13-Sentenced
14-Disputed
15-Guarded

Questions:
1. Did you really think that Melanie & Wanderer would die in the desert?

2. Do you think that the Seeker, who went by plane, is searching for Wanderer at the moment?

3. do you think that the surviving humans will kill Wanderer? or grow to trust her?

4. What's your opinion about Jared (, since he hit Wanderer/Melannie) ?

5. Do you think that Melanie is naive?

I'm going to make a quiz for you girls every 15 chapters okay? And we should be more active I haven't seen anything of Ezmerath or Giuilia yet.

message 19: by Rebecca, The Nerd (new)

Shavony wrote: ":( i miss you"

I know :( I miss goodreads all together! Including everyone in it! Wahhh! ;(

message 20: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Oh excuse me! I was just reading what you guys wrote as I feel my opinions might be biased (knowing the events and all) and the REALLY don't want to put in a spoiler, so here are my responses (trying my best not to give anything away):

1. Probably not...not only did the pages give it away but Melanie is a fit and strong host body.

2. Yes. I had the feeling she understood the case especially well.

3. I hope they grow to like her but I completely see where they're coming from and that is what I would do as well.

4. Argh! I suppose it is frustrating and sad and emotional to see her changed and taken over, which was against everything they stood for...I understand where he is coming from (as well). It's a very difficult moral dilema.

5. A tad bit but I would have been hoping they would understand as well. Even if you're being locked up and beaten by your loved ones and you know there is a chance of being close to them again, she would stand it, wanting to be with them.

message 21: by Shav (new)

Giulia wrote: "Oh excuse me! I was just reading what you guys wrote as I feel my opinions might be biased (knowing the events and all) and the REALLY don't want to put in a spoiler, so here are my responses (tryi..."

Good :) this makes me so happy three active people :D

message 22: by Giulia (new)

Giulia :) Glad to help!

message 23: by Shav (new)

This is the link to the first quiz, have fun and I'll post new questions tomorrow
http://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/2397...

message 24: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Oh thanks! I didn't score so well thought :/

message 25: by Shav (new)

:(

message 26: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Oh wells.

message 27: by Shav (new)

I'll try to make the next one easier :D

message 28: by Giulia (new)

Giulia No no it was entertaining because it was difficult. Made me remember things. Keep them as they are. It was a good quiz!

message 29: by Shav (new)

message 30: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Oh wow! It was significantly better than my first one. Congrats!

message 31: by Shav (new)

What do girls think if I have a little summary of the five chapters every meeting with the questions? Maybe you'll qualify better for the quiz?

message 32: by Giulia (new)

Giulia I don't mind. It is a discussion after all.

message 33: by Shav (new)

I feel very attached to this book. I've been thinking about going somewhere in the desert and finding an almost dead volcano like Jeb did :p

message 34: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Hahas I absolutely adored this one. I can't wait for the movie's release!

message 35: by Shav (new)

Table of Contents

16-Assigned
Ian, Kyle and Brandt come to Wanderer's cel to kill her, Ian half succeeds by choking her. jeb barges in with his gun and tells them to never come near the cell ever again or they'll be shot. Jeb gives Jared the choice to Wanderer's life.
1. What do you think Jared will choose?

17-Visited
Jeb takes Wanderer to the 'toilet'. When they come back to wanderer's cel they find Jamie. Later Jared shows up and he's all pissed because jamie's down there talking to Wanderer. Jamie walks off and Jared tell Jeb to leave too.
2. Why do you think Jared is being so awful to Wanderer?

18-Bored
Wanderer spends the whole day in her cell, in silence. Except when Jeb comes to bring her food and they exchange words of gratitude. Jared hates it that Jeb talks to Wandere, it irritates him.
3. Do you think jared will ever start treating Wanderer in a good way?

19-Abandoned
In the previous chapter Ian comes to talk to Jared. He tells him about the Seeker that's determined to find Wanderer. They think that Wanderer can't hear them but the walls echo ecerything over to her. Jared asks Wanderer about the Seeker and she decides to speak after a moment.
4. Do you really think that Jared thinks that wanderer is lying?

20-Freed
Jared left for a 'real comprehensive supply run' with Kyle and a few others. Wanderer/Mel are really sad and cry. Jeb let's them cry without interrupting. After letting Wanderer sleep on the matress outside of her cell, Jeb takes her for a tour of his home. and Wanderer gets a new place to stay.
5. Do you think it was smart of Jeb to show Wanderer around?

21-Named
When Jamie keeps watch over Wanderer when Jeb goes, to do something that has to do with food :p, they talk about Wanderer's life and Wanderer starts to grow on Jamie.
6. Do you think Jared will be pleased with Jamie and Wanderer's relationship when he returns?

message 36: by Giulia (new)

Giulia 1) Eep! We all want him to keep Wanderer because of Melanie but what will he actually do? Hm...

2) Oh just the small matter that she has TAKEN OVER MELANIE AND DESTROYED HER MEMORIES AND PERSONALITY, THE PERSON HE WAS IN LOVE WITH. But little does she know, Melanie remains.

3) Eventually yes, because that is still Melanie's body he's talking to.

4) No! I'm sure he believes her.

5) Yes it was! Especially without Kyle or Jared around. Wanderer needs to understand they're not a threat because she came all the way out here for them.

6) DEFINITELY NOT.

message 37: by Shav (new)

Jared is sooo different from Melanie's memories!!! There should be flashbacks!!!

message 38: by Giulia (new)

Giulia I KNOW! But I suppose love makes you do strange things...

message 39: by Shav (new)

Yes. I totally feel t for Jared there. I think he's just hiding his feelings

message 40: by Giulia (new)

Giulia It's so romantic (I'm a hopeless romantic at heart you see). If only he knew Melanie was still there! He would be much more forgiving.

message 41: by Shav (new)

But Wanderer likes Jared too. See that is what I don't understand. Why does she still like him?

message 42: by Giulia (new)

Giulia I think it's because of her devotion to Melanie, and also I suppose Melanie's body is used to releasing endorphins and dopamine when she sees him, so the body is attracted to him. ((not to get scientific)).

message 43: by Shav (new)

I like it when it gets scientific. And yes, I suppose. I know that Wanderer has nowhere else to go, but I keep hoping that she does go back to her people :/

message 44: by Giulia (new)

Giulia But then what about Melanie and the attraction and the flashbacks we love?

message 45: by Shav (new)

Yes! That's the problem. I was hoping that they'd get Wanderer out of Mel's body and Jared steals Mel away, you know? Too much creativity.

message 46: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Or something like that, right? The whole love triangle in two bodies thing...

message 47: by Shav (new)

Yes!! I love this book

message 48: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Definitely better than Twilight! It sucks how people are like "Noooo but she wrote Twilight". I'm like "The books were okay. The movies ruined it. This is different!"

message 49: by Shav (new)

Yes. The host is very different than twilight. Melanie is that girl that girl that played in the lovely bones right?

message 50: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Yes, Saoirse Ronan. A very talented actress. Have you seen the stills yet?

« previous 1