Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) Ender's Game discussion

Actor for Ender?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alice Ender's Game is becoming a movie!!!! But the guy who was cast as Ender (Asa Butterfield) isn't exactly the Ender I had in mind. Who do you think would make a great Ender?

Victoria Im thinking like a young Freddie highmore! Too bad hes too old now.

Walter Foddis Ender's Game is in post-production, according to IMDB, so in a sense, it's already a movie! :-) In the epilogue to the Speaker of the Dead audiobook, O.S. Card talks about what he wanted for a movie to be made. One condition was having Ender no older than 12 years old, and a boy who can really act. So that's going to limit your choices.

Brendan This kid looks almost exactly like I pictured Ender, actually. I think he did pretty well in Hugo, so I see no reason why he won't be good. I've yet to see a preview, but the cast looks like some good choices to me.

Paul Clingan Maybe Jared Gilman? Would have to chop off that brush pile hairdo though :)

Walter Foddis I checked out the actor who plays Bean and he has a huge resume of TV roles. Oh, Card also mentioned that the movie combines Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, thus you learn about each character through their relationship. He said this was done because in much of Ender's Game, you're inside Ender's head, which doesn't translate so well to film.

Phil The problem is that Ender in the book starts as 6 years old (I think, it's been a while since I read it) so it would be almost impossible to find an actor that age who could do the part justice. I think Asa Butterfield will be fine as an older Ender.

message 8: by Will (last edited Jan 01, 2013 08:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV Starts as 6, but is 13 by the end, if I remember correctly.

Timothy K. Bruce Willis

Alice Asa is 15 years old right now. He definitely won't be the Ender that Orson Scott Card had in mind.

Keifer Macaulay Culkin

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

They would have to change actors, or be creative in editing because Ender really grows up throughout the movie. As for who, they never really describe Ender, so I never had true vision of him in my head. The only thing I can really think of is dark haired and small.
Also, I'm pretty sure they stopped production for the movie :'(

message 13: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Nicole di Angelo wrote: "They would have to change actors, or be creative in editing because Ender really grows up throughout the movie. As for who, they never really describe Ender, so I never had true vision of him in my..."

According to the producer's blog they finished principle photography in June, and according to Wikipedia (updated Dec.15) they are in post-production.
In a recent E.W. article, The writer says he discussed Ender's age with Card and they decided to make him around 12 and compress the training time to a year for the movie so that Asa (and the other actors) would look appropriate throughout.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Phil wrote: "Nicole di Angelo wrote: "They would have to change actors, or be creative in editing because Ender really grows up throughout the movie. As for who, they never really describe Ender, so I never had..."

Yes the movie's on! But the ages are going to mess it up a bit

Walter Foddis A movie can never directly represent a novel, or in this case, 2 novels. In my view, if the movie captures the essence of the characters, themes, and plot, then it doesn't matter if the movie is not "faithful" to all the details of the novel.

Victoria What about Daniel huttlestone from les miserables?! Such a good actor! Would make a great ender!

message 17: by Lia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lia they already cast someone and he looks the part.

message 18: by Harv (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harv Griffin I'm just happy they're making ENDER'S GAME into a movie. The choices have already been made for Ender and Bean. Asa Butterfield has the right look for me; except I would prefer a shorter actor. It will be interesting to see how the movie turns out. @hg47

Victoria I know they already cast but asa isn't quite how I pictured ender especailly because of his age. However I am content to see the movie on the big screen with who they choose and happy to hear that the production is up and running again!

Horia Keifer wrote: "Macaulay Culkin"
your comment made me laugh. It's stupid (don't take it in a bad way) but it's funny.
Macaulay Culkin rullz (/ed)!!!