Deaf and Hard of Hearing Readers discussion

23 views
Hello to the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Readers.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by 8588cee (new)

8588cee | 21 comments Mod
I would like to welcome deaf and hard of hearing readers. This is an open group that can talk on variety topics; such as making book suggestions on the deaf culture, your goals on reading number of books in each month/year, and the books that you've read. Some of the members may share similar interest in genre readings and they can create the challenge reads to each other. You are welcome to post you-tube or vlog links on the books that you've finished reading. If you're interested, it is helpful if you include closed-captions or sign language. Thanks for joining!


message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryve) | 1 comments Awesomeness, thanks for making this group. I am a much slower reader so I take whatever accomplishments I get and keep going! Happy New Year!


message 3: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) Sounds good to me. Have you thought of doing a book club type thing? Assign book and we discuss via vlog or comments?


message 4: by 8588cee (new)

8588cee | 21 comments Mod
Yes. I have been giving some thoughts. I suggest to have books that associated with monthly themes.

Jan - winter-theme, snow, cold, freezing, ice, smoke, fire, frost, new year, refresh, new life, hopes, and accidents

Feb - love, hate, animals, family, romance, life, reunion, president, American, sick, betrayal, twisted

Mar - Irish, green, gold, treasure, magic, little monsters, discovery, delightful, ireland

Apr - garden, friendship, humor, pranks, fools, light, dark, shadows

May - Spring, rain, wonderous, wings, fly, shine, warm, birds

June - hot, sun, beach, sea, ocean, island, sharks, vaction

July - Independence day, aliens, spark, middle, desert (hottest month of the year), dehydrated, lost

Aug - pool, birthday, back to school, youth, hell,

Sept - cpp;. friendship, memory, reunion, labor, club, sports, deaf awareness, hard of hearing, bullying

Oct - halloween, haunted, witches, wolves, murders, death, ghost, horror, mask, insane, chaos, weird, confusing

Nov - thanksgiving, graceful, hope, inspiring, fall, scarecrows,

Dec - holiday, christmas, jewish, family, reunion, gifts, together, truth, star, graceful, candies, strangers, together, jolly

There are few books that I want to read in this year, such as Peak, The True Story of Hansel and Gretel, Before I Go to Sleep by SJ Watson, World of the War Z, and The Architect by Keith Ablow. Does anything of these books or themes interest you? Let me know. You're welcome to throw ideas.


message 5: by 8588cee (new)

8588cee | 21 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "Awesomeness, thanks for making this group. I am a much slower reader so I take whatever accomplishments I get and keep going! Happy New Year!"

Happy New Year to you as well! Does one "assigned" book per month sound reasonable?


message 6: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 15 comments Hello my fellow HOH readers! I sure did wait too long to search for this kind of group.


message 7: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) 8588cee wrote: "Mary wrote: "Awesomeness, thanks for making this group. I am a much slower reader so I take whatever accomplishments I get and keep going! Happy New Year!"

Happy New Year to you as well! Does one ..."


I think one assigned book per month is a good idea. Will Craig do the assigning?


message 8: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) Cheyenne wrote: "Hello my fellow HOH readers! I sure did wait too long to search for this kind of group."

Hello and welcome Cheyenne. I am Kym. Deaf reader from NJ!


message 9: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) 8588cee wrote: "Yes. I have been giving some thoughts. I suggest to have books that associated with monthly themes.

Jan - winter-theme, snow, cold, freezing, ice, smoke, fire, frost, new year, refresh, new life,..."


I love how you have themes for each month Craig. I never thought to work my books around themes like that. Usually in the summer, I pick lighter reading, beach reading I think they call it.
In the winter I pick harder themes.

Lately I have been reading many autobiographies. I'm not sure why.

World War Z and Hansel and Gretel I would be interested in reading the same time as you or somebody else, that would be fun!


message 10: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 15 comments Kym wrote: "Cheyenne wrote: "Hello my fellow HOH readers! I sure did wait too long to search for this kind of group."

Hello and welcome Cheyenne. I am Kym. Deaf reader from NJ!"


Hard of hearing reader and writer from Cali :)


message 11: by 8588cee (new)

8588cee | 21 comments Mod
Kym wrote: "8588cee wrote: "Yes. I have been giving some thoughts. I suggest to have books that associated with monthly themes.

Jan - winter-theme, snow, cold, freezing, ice, smoke, fire, frost, new year, re..."


Cool! I will assigned the readings of World War Z and True Story of Hansel and Gretel sometime in this year.


message 12: by 8588cee (new)

8588cee | 21 comments Mod
Cheyenne wrote: "Kym wrote: "Cheyenne wrote: "Hello my fellow HOH readers! I sure did wait too long to search for this kind of group."

Hello and welcome Cheyenne. I am Kym. Deaf reader from NJ!"

Hard of hearing..."


Awesome! I just want to say welcome to this group! :)


message 13: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 15 comments Thanks! Can we have a thread to talk about deaf/hard of hearing stuff?

My entire family is hearing and I go to a hearing school so I don't have anyone to talk to about it.


message 14: by 8588cee (new)

8588cee | 21 comments Mod
Cheyenne wrote: "Thanks! Can we have a thread to talk about deaf/hard of hearing stuff?

My entire family is hearing and I go to a hearing school so I don't have anyone to talk to about it."


You are welcome to talk about deaf and hard of hearing topics! In September, it is a deaf awareness month. I plan to make assigned reading(s) about deaf and hard of hearing cultures in that month. The only thing that I am not interested is to talk about audio-graphs and compare our hearing loss.

In this month, January, I already make suggestions to assigned readings. It is posted in the other topic discussion board. I am trying to put a stark interest for this group.


message 15: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 15 comments I wouldn't want to compare hearing losses either. It makes me extremely uncomfortable when hearing people ask me how much hearing I have.

Okay, I have a question. Do any of you wear hearing aids, and was it hard to get them? I'm trying to get some now and I'm having a hell of a time with it.


message 16: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) I don't wear hearing aids anymore. Useless. I still have one around the house somewhere but they do not help me.
I find it more freeing to be without them.


message 17: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 15 comments Hmm. I do have one ear that functions completely, and as I'm around hearing people 90% of the time I find it difficult to keep up with everything, especially in school. I imagine a hearing aid would help me, and I hate having to be confined to a certain spot in the classroom so that I can hear everything and won't miss anything.

My friends often call me half deaf, and it is fitting in a way.

Did your hearing aids give much feedback, and were they very uncomfortable? I'm pretty confident that a hearing aid will benefit me, because it's my eardrum that's damaged, so the "volume only needs to be turned up".


message 18: by 8588cee (new)

8588cee | 21 comments Mod
Cheyenne wrote: "Hmm. I do have one ear that functions completely, and as I'm around hearing people 90% of the time I find it difficult to keep up with everything, especially in school. I imagine a hearing aid woul..."

Here are several videos that I explain about my experience from growing up in the hearing world. You'll get an idea about my experience. :)

(Deaf bullies)
http://youtu.be/NuCgQHwSUPg

(going to different schools)
http://youtu.be/GZKsTl24tR0

(are sign language interpreters useful in mainstream classes)
http://youtu.be/SK3xGhngd_Y

I also make humor videos related to my lifetime experience.


message 19: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) I always enjoy your videos Craig!


message 20: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 1 comments Kym wrote: "I don't wear hearing aids anymore. Useless. I still have one around the house somewhere but they do not help me.
I find it more freeing to be without them."

I dont wear hearing aids and When I was 2 year old i cant hear my mom she readin me a book, I turn teen i just stop wear aids



back to top