Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) Catching Fire discussion

Haymitch fill the gap?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryeleigh (last edited Jan 01, 2013 02:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryeleigh I think some might argue, but I think haymitch is like Katnisses secound dad, he will never replace her dad, but he helps fill in the big gap from Katniss loosing her dad. In the first book, when shes all done getting cleaned up the first person she runs to is haymitch, i know they banter and bicker and haymitch said katniss had as much charm as a dead slug, but I think he has this fatherly thing for Katniss. They truly understand eachother, their exactly alike.

Please comment

Ciara I disagree. They're not exactly alike; Katniss has showed hatred towards Haymitch previously; and he is a drunken layabout.
However, there is, shall we say, a 'light at the end of the tunnel'. Haymitch helped Katniss survive, which is highly important.

They've been through things that they can never forget, and have bonded over the challenges they have faced, and nothing can change that.
So although I don't think he is or ever will be a fatherly figure to Katniss, he will be capable of offering her some comfort.

Stéphanie i agree with ciara. i do not believe he is a fatherly figure for katniss.

Elizabeth Day I wouldn't say he's like her father but I do get what you're saying. They care about each other a lot; you have to love the Haymitch-Katniss relationship :)

Madeleine Honestly? I think they have a deeper understanding than any of the other characters in the book. they didn't win the games because they were likeable, charismatic people. The won because they manipulated the fabric of the games. neither of them have Peeta's eternal optimism. I did see him as a father figure, not meeting the fatherly perfection Mr. Everdeen apparently was. I don't think he can ever offer advice or comfort, only sullen, subtle understanding. He did work his ass off to keep her alive. I think the resentfully enjoy each other's company, after all they've been through.

Shona I totally agree with what you say Maddie.

Ryeleigh Maddie wrote: "Honestly? I think they have a deeper understanding than any of the other characters in the book. they didn't win the games because they were likeable, charismatic people. The won because they manip..."

Yes exactly what i thought.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth I don't think I would use the term father figure, but family, yes. You can be bonded with someone because of experiences you share. A father figure suggests more of guidance and help in raising, or growth. I think they understand each other. Just knowing that you share something that has had such an effect on you. It's bonding, whether you like it or not. I think by her taking care of him, and him taking care of her, they are showing not just the bond they have made, but their hope for themselves. That if the other person can make it through each day, maybe they can too. She gives him reason to go on, and she needs him to survive, because she needs to survive.

Ryeleigh Elizabeth wrote: "I don't think I would use the term father figure, but family, yes. You can be bonded with someone because of experiences you share. A father figure suggests more of guidance and help in raising, or..."

Ya, thanks for commenting, i agree :)