Debate discussion

Theories > Alien life

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by James (new)

James Wilkinson | 205 comments Yes, the big one. Are they out there? Its a big place after all. I am referring to them as a people, but there may well be microscopic life forms out there. Or is it just us in this infinite cosmos?

message 2: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Well the universe is HUGE. And there may (and most likely is) be a place just like Earth. With water, nutrition and warmth from a sun. They could be very different, or exactly the same. And just because water and food and warmth is needed for OUR lives doesn't mean it is needed for somebody who grew up in a place where they fed off rock, drank air, and lived in cold temperatures. I think it's a very egotistic thing to say that we are the only intelligent life forms in a place as huge as space.

message 3: by James (new)

James Wilkinson | 205 comments Also sounds boring, and a terrible waste of space. I think it is a little presumptuous that alien life will require oxygen and water as we do, and tolerances to heat and cold, and be sufficiently near to a star. Not to mix debates, but if evolution is true, then it is more than likely universal, and thus conceivable that alien life will adapt to its environment whatever it is.

message 4: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Exactly, adaptation is key in life.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
And the Earth was not built for us, we came about around the perimeters the Earth had set for itself. Mars had evidence of water, and that's right next door. Life is somewhere.

Now, INTELLIGENT life is a whole other can of worms. Plants are life, but we can't communicate with them .

message 6: by James (new)

James Wilkinson | 205 comments Someone said that 'the greatest evidence that intelligent life exists elsewhere in our universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us'

message 7: by Lauren (new)

I, unfortunately, can believe it.

If there is life, reading these messages, I hope they see some hope for us here. Little crazy, I know. :)

message 8: by Keith (new)

Keith (keifer) | 137 comments rofl You probably already know my reasoning on this one so I'll not bother to debate.

message 9: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments there HAVE to be other beings in the universe.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

It's arrogant to assume only WE have life. We are not the center of everything.

message 11: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments I agree. There has to be intelligent life out there. And there is definitely, no doubt at all, life in outer space. Didn't we just find fossilized bacteria on Mars?!

message 12: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Oh and Lauren, hate to disagree with you, but plants have a center of intelligence as well. Ever seen that one experiment? A polygraph(aka lie detector) was hooked up to a plant while they played certain types of music, said things threatening the plants' existence, and the lines jumped. The sap inside of them circulated faster, like a human's blood pressure. I think it's considerable evidence that plants have emotions.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Instinctual response. Like phototropism. The plants grow to the light not because they see the light, but the light draws them.

So Venus Fly Traps have a brain? No, the pressure triggers a chemical response in the plant's body. That DOES NOT imply emotion. We have plenty of chemical reactions daily with no emotional response.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

i don't know if i believe in aliens...i don'[t not believe in aliens but i don't fully believe

message 15: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Well, let's not debate it here, Lauren.

SaRa, what forms your qualms about aliens?

message 16: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Hmm ... I think I believe in aliens. I don't know if there are any in, like, our solar system, but there have to be some aliens somewhere. If the universe is infinite, there's no way that we're the only intelligent life out there. It just wouldn't make sense. We might never find other intelligent life, but it might still be there. I don't know ...

message 17: by Lauren (new)

I think there are.

I also really really really want there to be, because I am a huge scifi fan, and that would just be cool.

message 18: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah, it would be. unless they, like, wanted to kill us. lol.

message 19: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) i think its really stupid that scientists are looking for planets with liquid water and good atmospheres that could support life. well, have they ever actually considered the fact that alien life forms might not NEED water and oxygen and tolerable atmospheres??? obviously they are going to be pretty different from us. i just find it incredibly stupid that they haven't considered that.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Well, without the water, carbon-based life cannot exist.

And as the universe is carbon-based, it is safe to look for water, I suppose.

message 21: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments But they could adapt differently.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

I was just watching a Carl Sagen "Cosmos" about this very topic. :)

message 23: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) but what is they arent "carbon based"?????? you see what i mean???

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Well, if they are not carbon-based, what do you think they will be based in? Silicon?

message 25: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) OMGS its aliens how am i supposed to know??? they found this species of worm on mars! yeah its pretty obvious that aliens are going to be just a TAD different than us, as they might not even breath oxygen, soooooooo we can't really argue about alien anatomy because no one has ever seen one!

message 26: by Lauren (new)

It's all hypothetical, of course.

message 27: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) yes, that is what I'm saying!

message 28: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments lol. I like people fighting.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

lol

message 30: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments :D

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments yeah that makes sense

(i believe that we aren't so special to be the only intelligent life in this infinite universe)

message 32: by Lauren (new)

It's quite flammable in high quantities.

There are several StarTrek episodes to that effect, silicon-based life, copper-based blood. An entity, made of crystal.

message 33: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments cool,

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy I think that their has to be some other life forms in the universe as far as intelligent, I really don't know.

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy possibly..

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy yup!

message 37: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments i don't think that humans are so special as to be the only intelligent life to ever exist.

and when we find them it will give us more ammunition to disprove god!

message 38: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments I agree Liz. We simply CANNOT be the only intelligent life in this vast universe of possibilities. Religion implies this. If rgod does exist, there are many of him, bcause there have to be more intelligent species out there. And therefore single deity religions dont work.

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy Ben wrote: "(sigh)"

(also sighs) everything always goes back to religon.

message 40: by Jon (new)

Jon Snow (bigreader) | 2 comments Aliens are real, but they are probably different than we think they are. For all I know they could just be tiny atoms on Mars

message 41: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Exactly. Though we may have found out almost all we can about where we are, we cannot even begin to understand the absolute vastness that is teh universe.

"Space, the final frontier"-Star Trek xD

message 42: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments I <3 star trek

message 43: by Lauren (new)

These are the voyages of the star ship enterprise

message 44: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments teehee

message 45: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments The original series with Will Shatner are a must, and the new Star trek movie too!!

(psst, Star trek is better!)

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Shatner was pretty hot back then. ;)

The originals are great. New adventures each week. :) Truly brilliant.

message 47: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments I loveth it :)

message 48: by Lauren (new)

Great social commentary. The Apple is one of my favorite episodes. And Who Mourns for Adonis. And Mirror, Mirror. Mirror Mirror is one of the greatest episodes ever. And the City on the Edge of Forever. And For the World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky.

I love their titles. SO original.

message 49: by Lauren (new)

OMG YES

SciFi, every day has a different series of episodes. There are 5 different Star Treks, and they show a different one each day i think. It's Original, the NextGen, then Deep Space 9, the Voyager, then Enterprise.

Netflix has them. I've watched everything single episode of Star Trek ever made. X)

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Spoke was a tortured soul. X)

The only reason I want to travel to the future would be to live in Star Trek.

« previous 1 3