Challenge: 50 Books discussion

A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time #1-3)
This topic is about A Dance to the Music of Time
Group Reads > Group Read: A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marissa (new) - added it

Marissa (mdawnh96) | 107 comments Mod
Well Everybody, Welcome to the New Year! & we're kicking it off with A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement. At first glance, my edition appeared to be a pretty hefty volume, but when I peered inside I discovered that the print is actually a pretty decent size, not microscopic like I was initially expecting. But there are also 3 books inside of the 1st Movement. We have A Question of Upbringing, A Buyer's Market, & The Acceptance World. So I guess we can see how everyone is doing & this month can either be a discussion of the whole 1st Movement or maybe just the first one or two books. How does that sound?

message 2: by Marissa (new) - added it

Ha! So upon a more detailed inspection of my copy, it turns out each 200+ page book, is only 4-5 chapters long. So this isn't going to be a book that I can just read a few chapters before I go to bed.

So my suggested itinerary for this book is:
Jan 1st-10th - A Question of Upbringing
Jan 11th-20th - A buyer's Market
Jan 21st-31st - The Acceptance World

I'll try to post thoughts & questions in the last few days of each of the periods, but I've got a busy schedule with work & my pregnancy, so if I forget or can't get to it please don't be upset! I'll apologize in advance for that. So please, don't be afraid to voice your thoughts or questions! No shyness allowed here! =)

Enjoy, Everybody!

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina Marissa-dono wrote: "Ha! So upon a more detailed inspection of my copy, it turns out each 200+ page book, is only 4-5 chapters long. So this isn't going to be a book that I can just read a few chapters before I go to b..."

Just realized that I only have access to A Question of Upbringing, so I suppose I will only be able to take part in 1/3 of the discussion. :/

message 4: by Marissa (last edited Jan 10, 2013 03:44PM) (new) - added it

Nina wrote: "Just realized that I only have access to A Question of Upbringing, so I suppose I will only be able to take part in 1/3 of the discussion. :/"

Don't worry, the reading is taking much longer to get through than I had expected, so I think I'm going to go with plan B & make this month's discussion only about A Question of Upbringing. If everyone else is alright with that. If not, I'm still only going to be reading A Question of Upbringing this month anyways :P

message 5: by Marissa (new) - added it

So have you started to at least read what you can yet? if so, what do you think so far?

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina Marissa-dono wrote: "So have you started to at least read what you can yet? if so, what do you think so far?"

I have about three pages left (I don't know why I'm not waiting a few minutes to read said pages before replying)... At this point I don't have very strong feelings about the book; I expect reading the full first movement would help to form a more rewarding story.

Parts are definitely funny, and the characters are good, but at this point if someone asked me what the book was about, I would only be able to say that it's a series of snapshots of young men navigating life and society. I don't know.

Cheryl I just started the 2nd book today (41 pages in). I found the first book to be painfully slow. I feel like I need someone to explain certain things (I don't know what exactly, but I feel as though I'm missing information about standards of the time in Europe). I think whatI've gotten from the story, I could have gotten if the story was 75+ pages shorter.

I am finding the 2nd book to be a quicker read and I think I am enjoying it more, though it is a bit early to say for sure.

message 8: by Nina (new)

Nina Cheryl wrote: " I think what I've gotten from the story, I could have gotten if the story was 75+ pages shorter."

I felt this way, too, which is disappointing, seeing as the book is barely longer than that.

Cheryl I remember in college courses, sometimes a professor would say something and I would think, "Oh, okay, now that makes sense," and it changed the way I felt about the material. That is what I feel I'm missing here. It's not the time period that it is written about that is the reason, at least I don't think that is the case, because I've read a decent amount from the era, but I just feel like I'm not getting something I should be. The reviews/ratings are so high and right now, I'd be a 3-star review at best I think.

Cheryl I have to say that I found the last section to be the best. This to me, felt like the characters were mor 3 dementional. If my library had the 2nd book, I would have put it on my hold list. Not something I would have thought when I finished the first section.