Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Personalized recommendations > What book should I read next?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sinead (last edited Dec 31, 2012 03:22PM) (new)

Sinead K | 3 comments Hey, Im Sinead, new to this site and to this book club. Ive been having a pretty hard time lately finding books that I really like, the ones that really resonate with me are far and few between. Here are some of my specifics:
- I usually go for stories that fall into the fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk or dystopian genre.
- I like stories with lots of mystery, suspense, politics, action and moral questions, stories that challenge me.
- I think authors who are not afraid to plunge their characters into dark situations and not have everything work out perfectly are the most interesting. Authors that are not afraid to create bleak or grim fates.
- No love triangles please, I think I will scream if I have to read through another one of those.
- No soppy romance either, I dont want to read paragraph after paragraph about french kissing and warm embraces. I dont mind subtile romances, but I prefer friendships or things left to te reader to decide.

I am currently reading the Chaos Walking trilogy and I absolutely love it. I hated the Hunger Games, nothing like that please.
Thanks for any recommendations, they are very much appreciated

Please excuse my poor punctuation, my keyboard is broken.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Ashworth (stephash24) Did you read Divergent? It's in the dystopian genre. There is no love triangle. There is a romance but it doesn't take over the whole book. It's amazing. I read it in a day!!!

message 3: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments Right now Im reading Daughter of Smoke & Bone I've heard thats good but again there is some romance so far. I would suggest going more towards the adult/ cross over ya fantasy and scifi as they arnt usually so lovey dovey. Almost all of the YA fantasy has a romance/ triangle attached now days.

Ill let you know if I come across something good.

message 4: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Sinead wrote: "Hey, Im Sinead, new to this site and to this book club. Ive been having a pretty hard time lately finding books that I really like, the ones that really resonate with me are far and few between. He..."

LOL before I saw your last comment I was going to suggest Chaos Walking, I'm reading it now too and LOVING it! Try Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry if you haven't already. Pretty awesome!!

message 5: by Vandita (new)

Vandita (vandita_booknerd) Hey hiii
I read chaos walking trilogy last year and I absolutely loved it. Monsters if Men is the bestest of the series.
Have you read Percy jackson series???
Its absolutely smart, funny, interesting and a fantastic series. It wont let you down.
P.s. very little romance.

message 6: by Vandita (new)

Vandita (vandita_booknerd) I just found out that you have already read percy jackson.
Why didn't you like it much???
Then give a try to dan brown's deception point, digital fortress, and robert langdon trilogy...
Full of suspense, thrill, interesting facts and myths...

message 7: by Sinead (new)

Sinead K | 3 comments David wrote: "Sinead wrote: "Hey, Im Sinead, new to this site and to this book club. Ive been having a pretty hard time lately finding books that I really like, the ones that really resonate with me are far and ..."

They are brilliant, best series I have come across in a long time. It was pretty much everything I looked for in a book. Sounds interesting, Ill give it a try.

Vandita wrote: "I just found out that you have already read percy jackson.
Why didn't you like it much???
Then give a try to dan brown's deception point, digital fortress, and robert langdon trilogy...
Full of su..."

I loved the first few, but as the series progressed I felt that Percy became a bit overpowered and for me that made him lose some of his appeal as a protagonist because there was never any real danger to him, you knew he would make it through everything relatively unharmed. I do like them though, they were quirky, funny and smart, just not as much as I did at the beginning, I havent read Mark Of Athena yet though. Im on Monsters Of Men now, so Im looking for some books to read afterwards. It is fantastic so far.

Chakara wrote: "Right now Im reading Daughter of Smoke & Bone I've heard thats good but again there is some romance so far. I would suggest going more towards the adult/ cross over ya fantasy and scifi as they arn..."

Yes, I know what you mean about YA being synonomous with romance and love triangles now, whatever genre. Daughter Of Smoke and Bone, Ill give it a look, thanks for the suggestion.

Stephanie wrote: "Did you read Divergent? It's in the dystopian genre. There is no love triangle. There is a romance but it doesn't take over the whole book. It's amazing. I read it in a day!!!"

I havent, not yet. Ive heard quite a bit about it though. Thanks for the the suggestion.

message 8: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Cool and I don't know if you tried Patrick Ness's other book, A Monster Calls, but it's supposed to be awesome, I'm reading it soon :)

message 9: by Vandita (new)

Vandita (vandita_booknerd) Yeah I got your point. After monsters of men, you can give a try to patrick ness's other book called A Monster Calls which David is also suggesting. But expect some heart wrenching drama from it. I loved it though.
P.S. No romance.

message 10: by Sinead (new)

Sinead K | 3 comments I was definitely considering reading that afterwards, I havent been able to get my hands on it in my local bookstore though, I may have to go online. It sounds great.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (emme18) | 2 comments The City of Bomes is so good, it has some romance but isn't like a romantic novel

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pandwen) | 23 comments well not sure if you have read them yet but the first book i think of that matches that description would be Uglies