Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Best of Year Reads > Start Thinking about your Top Reads for 2012

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Dec 31, 2012 02:33PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments After consulting with Ann I have decided to take on compiling our year end lists. We suggest the following:

Books Read in 2012:

Top MT Books (1-10)
Top Authors (1-5)
Top Books (1-5) any genre
Top Series (1-5)

Bottom of the Barrel Books (up to 5)

Are there other categories folks would like to see collected? Let’s leave a couple of days for any other suggestions, and then I’ll start a thread for people to start posting on Thursday, January 3. I’ll leave it open for a few weeks and then close so I can compile.

Don't start posting yet, this thread is just for discussion of categories. I'll post all categories when I open the voting thread.

Sound good?

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3759 comments good selection of list categories, carol!

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1388 comments In past years we posted any good series that we had discovered during that year. I would be interested in seeing those.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Thanks for corralling us together for this much anticipated poll, Carol!!

message 5: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2705 comments Maybe a NTM of either author or series.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments Let me start, and I'll add if we add categories.

Top 10 MT:
DeMille, The Panther
Butcher, Cold Days
Connelly, The Black Box
"Parker", Fool Me Twice
Tracey, Off The Grid
Burke, Creole Belle
Hamilton, Die a Stranger
Box, Force of Nature
Crais, Taken
Hart, Down River

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments Top 5 Series
Connelly: Bosch
Crais: Pike and Cole
Tracey: Monkeewrench
Burke: Robecheaux
Hamilton: McKnight

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments Top 5 authors:
Butcher
Connelly
Crais
Lehane
Connolly (John)

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments Top 5 other Genre (only 3 were worthy)
Lehane, Live by Night
King, 11/22/63
Barry, Lunatics

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments Pigs.

WEB Griffin, who has handed writing off to his son
Cussler, who has handed writing off to his son
Scottoline, who has ceased to make sense
I'll hold on Preston/Child, since they still have opportunity to pull out of it.
I'll hold on Evanovitch, because although tired, the books do still have some entertainment value.
I'll give honorable mention to Patterson, since one cannot tell how he is doing, since he does not seem to write the books that bear his name.

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Please don't start posting yet, this thread is just for discussion of categories. I'll post all categories when I open the voting thread.

Barry, I'll move your posts to that thread when I create it.

message 12: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2705 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Please don't start posting yet, this thread is just for discussion of categories. I'll post all categories when I open the voting thread.

Barry, I'll move your posts to that thread when I create it."

Uh oh Barry, now you got the Board Queen mad at you.

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Daniel wrote: "
Uh oh Barry, now you got the Board Queen mad at you. ..."

Dan, I didn't expect you to begin your New Year's Resolution of more harassment quite so soon.....

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments Uh oh Barry, now you got the Board Queen mad at you....
If I may ask: "What else is new?"

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Too funny! Glad to see Barry's rebellious nature and Dan's harassment are starting already!
I liked your Pigs category, Barry!
Barry wrote: Dan wrote: "Uh oh Barry, now you got the Board Queen mad at you...."
"If I may ask: "What else is new?"

message 16: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments Just trying to set the tone for 2013.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Ann, and here I was counting on you to be the voice of reason! It's going to be a long year.

Ann wrote: "Too funny! Glad to see Barry's rebellious nature and Dan's harassment are starting already!
I liked your Pigs category, Barry!
Barry wrote: Dan wrote: "Uh oh Barry, now you got the Board Queen m..."

message 18: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments She is the voice of reason. The reason it is going to be a long year for you.

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments oops! sorry Carol~ :)
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, and here I was counting on you to be the voice of reason! It's going to be a long year."

message 20: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments Maybe we need a favorite font category. They always seem to waste a page at the end of a book telling us what font they used and why. For the audio types, they could vote on best reader.

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Barry - The possibility of voting on Best Reader raises a pet peeve about Goodreads audio book setup... they are "just another edition" and the narrator is rarely listed most likely because the reader role is not clearly defined as a field to fill in so most of the time left off.
-Barry wrote: "Maybe we need a favorite font category. They always seem to waste a page at the end of a book telling us what font they used and why. For the audio types, they could vote on best reader."

message 22: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Barry, I thought I could move posts (guess I'm not omnipotent after all -- what a letdown) so would you repost in the new topic I set up? Thanks.

message 23: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments If I must.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.