The Host (The Host, #1) The Host discussion

The trailer for the movie seems to be told from Melanie's point of view with no input from Wanderer. If the movie were to be told from a dominantly human point of view, wouldn't this affect the portrayal of the souls?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Avani (last edited Dec 31, 2012 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Avani The Host movie has to tackle the issue of the narrative of Wanderer vs. Melanie. So it seems that in the trailer, given the voice of Melanie, the souls are portrayed as the bad guys, which is expected from a human standpoint.

The book, however, was narrated from the point of view of Wanderer, a soul, with the input of Melanie frequent throughout, and then the humans she encounters providing many of their points of view in addition. I thought that in the trailer, it is already evident that the narrative might be quite different from what we experienced in the book. Do you think it's overkill, though, having a dominantly human point of view when in fact Wanderer experiences many humans and their respective points of view further on in the story? Would that make a human narrative unnecessary and imbalanced, favoring the human perspective too much?

This is hypothetical; I'm not saying the movie will actually harbor a mostly Melanie/human-centric narrative, but any thoughts would be appreciated!

Robbie Thornton Wouldn't that just about take the whole point of the book away? I mean, it's been awhile since I read it, but I'm thinking that Wanderer's POV is what is special about the book. That Wanderer isn't a "bad guy", she's simply someone doing, more or less, what she was designed to do, but her emerging "humanity" (a strange word for a nonhuman, but there you go) and conscience causes her sacrifice at the end.

I really can't imagine how a movie from Melanie's POV could even be the same story. I'm disappointed. I'll wait till I read some reviews and get some comments from friends about it before deciding to see the movie. I don't want the excellent story in my head ruined by some Hollywood producers idea of what the public would like. Sigh.

message 3: by Libbie (last edited Jan 03, 2013 04:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Libbie The trailer was barely 2 minutes long and there wasn't much dialogue at all. The only purpose of that trailer was to set the story for people unfamiliar with the book and get *them* excited for it.

And give us teases meant to drive us crazy until March.

Besides - Stephenie Meyer is one of the producers. Do you really think she would let the movie take away one of the fundamental themes of her story?

Avani Libbie wrote: "The trailer was barely 2 minutes long and there wasn't much dialogue at all. The only purpose of that trailer was to set the story for people unfamiliar with the book and get *them* excited for it...."

Stephenie's a producer? Major sigh of relief.

Annie Alviola This trailer helps only the viewer to know the beginning of the story where Melanie was caught by the alien and she became Wanderer. I was really excited to watch this movie.

Libbie Avani wrote: "Libbie wrote: "The trailer was barely 2 minutes long and there wasn't much dialogue at all. The only purpose of that trailer was to set the story for people unfamiliar with the book and get *them* ..."

Yep! She's very possessive of her babies and very involved in their translation to the screen.

message 7: by Naiya (last edited Jan 07, 2013 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Naiya I interpreted the sequences that involved Melanie and Jared as flashbacks. (You're talking about the most recent trailer, right?) They had that blurred, yellow-ish quality to them. (btw, the song and clip at and after 1:40 - so good.)

Having just finished reading the book last night, I'm supercurious about how it'll look on the big screen. Most of the conflict and plot happens inside the main character's head. The majority of the book is the main character cringing from the human rebels, obsessing over her love interest(s) and species loyalties, and silently arguing in her head.

Maybe they'll create a mystery around whether the human host/Melanie survived or not - something we know in the book as the reader, but none of the other characters are really sure about for a while.

If Melanie/Wanderer do speak to each other, I really hope it's handled well (gollum-style, for example, as opposed to an echo-y voice-over).

If they do take the generic human-battles-against-evil-alien-invasion track with this move, the main point/theme of the book will be lost, so I hope they keep Wanderer as the main point of view.

I also hope they had a budget to give us some past-life-Wanderer flashbacks too.

Nila YES! YES IT WOULD! I WOULD NOT GO SEE THE MOVIE IF THAT WAS THE CASE!

Libbie Sandra wrote: "from what i can see in the trailer, the movie seems to only steal the book's idea...like every other movie adaption...and complete ruins it"

First, if Stephenie Meyer is one of the producers, I can't see how it would be considered stolen. Second, if you can tell that the movie will be "ruined" based on a trailer less than two minutes...? All I can say is at least you're giving it a chance. (then I'd stop being sarcastic.)

Thaís I suppose we can't really tell from which point of view the movie will be. I think that a trailer may never hint how good (or bad) a movie is since there's been fantastic trailers for crappy movies and vice versa. Having said that, it is also important to note that an adaptation in the big screens, especially for this novel,could never convey the deepness of a psychological conflict(without being utterly boring!)as a book does. So we probably won't be satisfied with the relationship Melanie/Wanderer in the movie, regardless of the point of view taken.

However, if we see a story told by Melanie it may not be a total waste of time. Stephanie is the producer, therefore(I hope) she's not letting the movie go too far away from the book and she might even add something from Melanie's perspective that went missing in the latter. That is, if and only if they don't make Wanderer the villain just because she's an alien, which would be almost a heresy seeing that in the end she has grown more human than most humans.

message 11: by Lisa (last edited Jan 13, 2013 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa We don't really know how they're going to do it yet. Here's my opinion on what I think and hope they'll do: I hope it's going to be a mostly narrated movie, like what the old black-and-white films used to do. Probably in the very beginning Melanie will be narrating it and then Wanderer (who should have a sufficiently different voice than Saoirse Ronan, or something computerized to sound like an alien) should be narrating it with Melanie interjecting as the movie progresses. At least I think that would be cool ^_^

Avani Lisa wrote: "We don't really know how they're going to do it yet. Here's my opinion on what I think and hope they'll do: I hope it's going to be a mostly narrated movie, like what the old black-and-white films..."

I like that idea.

Karen Albert If this movies strays too far from the book or gives just one point of view it will be too bad. The inner struggle is the point. At least they're using some tested actors. I'm sorry, but the acting in the Twilight movies was generally awful and Meyers had input there, too. When a movie is based on a book it is often helpful to see it with the expectation that it will not follow the book but will rather stand alone.

Kirsteen Gordon I saw the trailer and was instantly disappointed. Can`t quite put my finger on what but I expect it might have something to do with the age group of the actors involved. I envisioned them being more mature, loads of character and a die hardness about them but hope I am proved wrong in the film. I have seen the actress who plays Melanie in another film and liked her very much so I suppose I will have to try and keep an open mind.

message 15: by Mica (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mica Kirsteen wrote: "I saw the trailer and was instantly disappointed. Can`t quite put my finger on what but I expect it might have something to do with the age group of the actors involved. I envisioned them being mor..."

I saw the trailer before I read the book, so when I rewatched it after reading the book I was so confused! Jared is supposed to be 29 but he looks like he's Melanie's age. Personally I like the idea of Ian and Jared being closer to Melanie's age. While reading The Host it bothered me how Stephenie was a little too keen on older men being with young women, end of the world or not. :P I think Saorise is the perfect choice for Melanie though, I love her!

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood I dont know which one you saw but Mel didnt have wanda in her when she broke into Jared's house to take stuff. she went back out and that happened. so maybe it was before she went back out and didnt have wanda with her yet...

Kelseyc How could you possibly make it from Wanderer's point of view? It seems like they did it in the best way possible but I must say it does look a little disappointing...

Lauren Avani wrote: "Libbie wrote: "The trailer was barely 2 minutes long and there wasn't much dialogue at all. The only purpose of that trailer was to set the story for people unfamiliar with the book and get *them* ..."

thank god

Libbie Hey guys - check this out! (And then help me cope that its not March yet....)

Meet Wanderer

Avani Libbie wrote: "Hey guys - check this out! (And then help me cope that its not March yet....)

Meet Wanderer"

Thanks for posting the link! I saw this trailer earlier and thought thank goodness.