Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Twelve: Part XII: The Kiss.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments The Twelve by Justin Cronin. This is the second in the trilogy begun in The Passage.

Since spoilers are allowed please only post contents related to the part referenced in the title. The first person posting might want to do a brief summary of what happens in the section, so we can be reminded of when to start (and stop) posting, contents-wise.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Part XII The Kiss

Chapter 67 I don't know where home is, but let it be Texas; Jenny Apgar
Chapter 68 Alicia's decision; Greer's future battle; Peter's story; Amy's touch

One of the things I have promised myself after finishing this second book in the trilogy is to make a record of the threads and questions that remain at the end of this book that will possibly connect to the next.
The Kiss offers several such opportunities. As with The Passage and the intonation of Amy's naming 'Babcock's Many' or the calling into record of Sarah's journal many years after it was written, this book particularly resonated on audio as the last five chapters unfolded. Cronin's words flow freely on the page and are enjoyable, but some parts miss the imagery and impact from being spoken aloud.

We find 70,000 humans stranded or ready to settle in Iowa at the compound after the Eleven turned to ashes and dust. Lila and Grey were obliterated in the explosion in the basement of the Dome, Amy disappeared and the people who were enslaved have to decide what to do now. Some will stay. Michael is recovering from his deep thigh wound and Lore will be by his side along with Eustace and Greer leading the evacuation teams and determining how they will live for the two years it will take to manage.
Hollis and Sarah find the life together they should have had years ago as they make their way back to Kerrville bringing Jenny Apgar, one of several of the Lost from The Field who survived Guilder's prison and enslavement. We can look forward to some sort of reunion. I hope of a different nature than the one of Tifty and his Nitia/Nina.
The idea that Tifty's daughter was a warrior in the insurgents seems fitting.

Alicia makes the decision to finally succumb and drink blood and to allow the sun to take her to dust as well. Lucius Greer returns to his Military bearing with a close shave of his face and scalp, preparing for the future battle Amy has predicted. (assumed to be with Zero) Peter realizes what it would mean to be a parent to Caleb and to be a comfort to Kate while in his dreams a kiss of sorts reveals Amy's change but continued presence.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3568 comments i didn't like alicia seeming to "turn". i wonder what will happen to her...

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments I think a big part of this book is that each character has to follow his/her path, good or bad. Some of the seemingly "good" guys turn left, and some of the "bad" guys turn right.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments And to that point, Dan, Cronin seems to be showing us in their choices (and sometimes their angst) how difficult it is to stay on the path of good. That element does prevail throughout both books. Good call out.
Lila and Alisha both have extreme struggles. Guilder none at all, just a twinge or two. Amy is an enigma as to how she struggles. Wolgast is an entire conversation to himself. (or to the Epilogue thread!)
Not a bad idea to categorize the main characters by that leaning to good or bad now while the story is fresh.
This is why I am conflicted on rating the book with the limited flexibility of five stars. The thought provoking nature of it sticks with me.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Sherry: It was almost painful to witness Alicia's struggles. She is one of the best characters and was so sweet with the horse, Soldier.
Cronin led us to believe she was terribly conflicted with the love of the horse and his companionship and the need to gorge on blood which she overcame by pure strength of will. She was obviously conflicted about Peter as well.
In The Twelve we are witness to a mature determined Alicia, where in the Passage she was still just "Lish" at least until she was bitten and when they met up with the Expeditionary group.
I find myself wondering about the part of the Passage when she was bitten. I don't remember it well.
Sherry wrote: "i didn't like alicia seeming to "turn". i wonder what will happen to her..."

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3471 comments I think if I had to pick at times one of my top favorite characters one would have to be alicia. yet the list could have been always changing. she seemed she didn't know to do. maybe her way was the right way.

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3568 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry: It was almost painful to witness Alicia's struggles. She is one of the best characters and was so sweet with the horse, Soldier.
Cronin led us to believe she was terribly conflicted with t..."

i don't remember it either, ann, but that doesn't surprise me..lol

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments I felt bad for the struggle of both Alicia and Amy, more so Alicia because she is resisting her transformation until the end. I wish she had confided in Peter, he clearly loved her although I'm not sure he wanted to be with her

I'm not taking anything for granted, though, Cronin will revive whomever suits the plot of the story, the way he revived (sort of) Wolgast.

I wonder how many of the characters left standing will make it to the end?

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments I was thinking the same thing, Carol. Which of these characters will make it to the end of the last book.
As I read some of the Wikipedia character studies for The Passage yesterday I noticed that it mentioned for Alisha that Peter gave her the virus to save her when she was fatally wounded in the battle at the end of that book. I don't remember that.
So if Peter knew she had the virus because he gave it to her, what was Alisha hiding from Peter? Perhaps she thought it would hurt him to know she (as she believed) was turning and she had decided to succumb to the sun, so had a death sentence?

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments You may be right about Peter giving her the virus, I just don't remember. But no one seemed to be worried about her turning viral, so there must have been something different about the circumstances under which she took it. My interpretation of her actions was that she was avoiding Peter because she didn't want him to see how much she was hurting because she was resisting the temptation to drink blood.

Now I'm going to have to read the blogs and summaries and stuff to see what other people think was going on!

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments and let us know!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Now I'm going to have to read the blogs and summaries and stuff to see what other people think was going on! "

message 13: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2940 comments Amy. Was she alive, or was it Memorex?

We did not see Alicia die. Cronin has led us on before.

Peter fell asleep on watch. This did not help the sense of foreboding I have felt since beginning this series.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Excellent question Barry. Amy has aged, but not nearly enough for her actual age. She can do things that others cannot even understand, let alone do. She is an enigma, how will we know whether she is alive or not, she seems to transcend space and possibly time.
And she cares for Peter, enough to come back and touch him in his dream... another moving moment for me.
Barry wrote: "Amy. Was she alive, or was it Memorex?
"