Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Twelve: Part X: The Assassin.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments The Twelve by Justin Cronin. This is the second in the trilogy begun in The Passage.

Since spoilers are allowed please only post contents related to the part referenced in the title. The first person posting might want to do a brief summary of what happens in the section, so we can be reminded of when to start (and stop) posting, contents-wise.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14611 comments Part X The Assassin
Chapter 58 Sara discovered
Chapter 59 It's Nina, ok Amy?
Chapter 60 Guilder, re-branding
Chapter 61 Eustace, Major Greer; Donadio, Jaxon
Chapter 62 I am Sergio

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments I loved the coming together of all the various parts. Alicia and Amy have one last moment before Amy heads into the lion's den; Alicia acknowledges Amy and Peter's connection and asks Amy to take care of him. She also admits that she is losing her battle against turning viral. How unfair.
The group learns that Sara is in the compound. She's been captured and she's being drugged... I'm not really sure why. Lila cannot control Kate's rebellion, and gives up, decides to commit suicide.
Amy tells Guilder that she is Sergio...

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14611 comments In chapter 60 when Sara was waterboarded to tell Guilder what she knew about the uprising and Nina and the others and then drugged to be taken deep in the bowels of the building to Zero, I assumed she was going to be a special sacrifice to him as his next meal (which appeared to be few and far between, just enough to keep him alive) and I didn't expect that Sara would make it, it seemed the timing was too tight. I admit to being on the edge of my seat for this last part!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14611 comments As our friends all come together in chapter 61, Nina and Eustace, Amy and Greer and Alicia, and then Peter and Michael and Hollis, I was picturing the three timelines all converging on a map with their intertwined lives coming together into one time thread again and thinking, wow, all of the build-up and now it is time.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Ann wrote: "In chapter 60 when Sara was waterboarded to tell Guilder what she knew about the uprising and Nina and the others and then drugged to be taken deep in the bowels of the building to Zero, I assumed ..."

You mean Gray, right? Not Zero. I think Zero is free, wasn't he with the 11 that came during the battle? Or maybe he's offstage somewhere waiting for the final confrontation.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Yes, exactly. A masterful bringing together of the elements. I definitely need to read a summary (maybe even that detailed summary you or someone posted) before the next book. So much has happened in this book, and I am sure to forget 98% of it by the time the last book comes out.

Ann wrote: "
Ann (AnnRumsey) | 4345 comments As our friends all come together in chapter 61, Nina and Eustace, Amy and Greer and Alicia, and then Peter and Michael and Hollis, I was picturing the three timelines all converging on a map with their intertwined lives coming together into one time thread again and thinking, wow, all of the build-up and now it is time. ..."

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14611 comments Ah yes, Carol. I meant that Sara was taken to Grey! Not Zero.
This is a hard book to summarize!

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Ann wrote: "Ah yes, Carol. I meant that Sara was taken to Grey! Not Zero.
This is a hard book to summarize!"

I know, I wouldn't have remembered except I just read that part last week, LOL.

Speaking of Lila and Grey, I did think it was a little odd that Lila went so far as to rescue Grey, and the scene where they were reunited was downright mushy. I knew that he felt overly protective of her, but you never saw and signs that she gave a fig about him. She was in her own world.

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3051 comments 70,000 flatlanders at the dome! The virals are much more organized that the good guys. Here's hoping Amy and Alicia know what they are doing. I'm not ready to face the future as a cow.