Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice discussion

How many times did you read Jane Austen's books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Menna (last edited Jan 01, 2013 08:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Menna  Emad How many times did you read Jane Austen's books?
* Persuasion: 3 times.
* P&P: twice and reading it now for the third.
* Emma: twice
* S&S/ Northanger Abbey/ Mansfield Park: once.

What about you?

Jeni I read all of them every year. I love Austen!

Annemarie Donahue Read all once, but Northanger Abbey three times!

Mary P & P over 30 times. Emma about 10-15, Sense and Sensibility about 5 times and the same for Persuasion and Mansfield Park. The only one I have only read once is Northanger Abbey.

Nicole D. I think I have read them all around five times or more.I usually read them all once a year.

message 6: by Marylene (new) - added it

Marylene Just once...but love the ones I have read!!! Pride and Prejudice is my fave. I've watched the movie a thousand times though...lol.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Pride and Prejudice at least four times. Emma, two or three, the rest, once, but I went back and reread parts of them once or twice.

Laura I don't know how many times I've read all of them. Pride and Prejudice is the one I keep re-reading, however. From the movie Lost in Austen, Amanda says in the beginning it is like visiting old friends. I feel much the same :)

Jo Ann I've read "Pride & Prejudice" at least 5 times. I've also watched the various movie versions many times. The versions I love is the eary movie w/Greer Garson & the BBC version w/Colin Firth & Jennifer Erle. Might have to watch one of them tonight!!

Lesley Too many to count I read it aleast once per year last year was twice. I have watched al the movies/tv series. Can't help myself totally in love with Mr Darcy. I have read all of Jane's books but not as often as P & P. Probably my next favourite is Emma & Persuasion

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Lesley wrote: "Too many to count I read it aleast once per year last year was twice. I have watched al the movies/tv series. Can't help myself totally in love with Mr Darcy. I have read all of Jane's books but no..."

Emma is my next favorite and then I am torn. Probably Mansfield Park or Sense and Sensibility.

message 12: by Caro (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caro I've read them so many times that I lost count!!!

Diane I've read P&P several times (ten?) and am currently reading (and loving!) an annotated version by P. Spacks.
http://books.google.com/books/about/P...
The other novels I've read once or twice, listened to once, and seen several movie adaptations. I'm planning to read David Shapard's annotated versions next. (I've read his P&P, but now there's a revised and expanded edition...)
Emma's my second favorite with S&S and Persuasion tied for third. MP is easily 5th with NA a distant 6th.
My husband asked me why I love Austen so much. It was hard to explain, but it is her writing, her perspective, her character development, and her fabulous sense of humor. I know it's not just the plots because I have yet to like any "sequel" (fanfic) that I've tried. No one writes like Austen!

Robin I have read Pride and Prejudice, twice, Sense and Sensibility twice, Northanger Abbey once. I love her style of writing. I also read Mansfield Park once. I love the film adaptations, when I can't get enough of her works. I love Miss Austen regrets, that one was a tear jerker.

Reyhaneh I read all of them once except for P&P i read that 3 times

Ketil I've hardly read any. I think Austen and Bronte are boring. But I enjoy the movies and TV series made from Austen's and Bronte Sister's books

Robin Pride and Prejudice=twice. Mansfield Park-twice, Northanger Abbey-once, Sense and Sensibility-twice, Emma-twice. sometimes I wasn't quite in the mood for Austen and had to come back to her books.

message 18: by Filza (new) - added it

Filza All of Austen's books once but P&P four times, simply love the book:)

Nouran Gamal all once except emma (may be 3 or 4 times) but i will definetely read them all again and again

SarahO Pride and Prejudice 3 times, Persuasion once, Emma once, Northanger Abbey once, Sense and Sensibility once, and I'm halfway done with Mansfield Park for the first time then I want to read P&P again!

message 21: by Dyea (last edited Feb 19, 2013 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dyea Pride aand Prejudice,I had read it 10 times. My favourite all the time

Patrisia Sheremeta I spent a year in Italy when I was in college and brought a very limited selection of books with me. Books in English were pretty pricey there, so mostly I just made due with what I had. One of those books was Emma. I must have read that book at least two dozen times. Good thing it's my favorite!

message 23: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Baldi I've only read the books 1 time and not all of them yet. I still have the pleasure of reading Emma ahead of me. I didn't have success with Northanger Abbey so it is still possible that I'll get to that as well as Mansfield Park. I didn't enjoy the televised version that I saw of that one though. I could really read Persuasion 20 times! And Pride & Prejudice is a real favorite for a reason. It's wonderful.

Rosun Rajkumar Have read just two of her books- Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion. Have read twice of both.

Adriana Pride & Prejudice 3 or 4 times (I've lost count!), Persuasion twice, Sense & Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey once each. I can't bring myself to read Emma. I saw the film with Gwyneth Paltrow and found her character too grating!

Kathleen This summer I enjoyed all Austen, all the time. Read all her novels again. How many times in total? Really-I have lost count. "There is nothing like staying home (and reading Jane) for real comfort."

SarahO Adriana wrote: "Pride & Prejudice 3 or 4 times (I've lost count!), Persuasion twice, Sense & Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey once each. I can't bring myself to read Emma. I saw the film with Gwy..."

You should watch the 2009 BBC miniseries of Emma. I can't watch the Paltrow movie either but the miniseries is simply AMAZING!!! That's what got me to finally read the book and I loved it!

message 28: by sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

sam Persuasion 2X
Pride & Prejudice 5 times. the first 3X i read it was back-to-back-to-back

message 29: by Victoria (last edited Feb 06, 2013 01:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Victoria Scofield P&P about six times if not more, but haven't read the others. Started on Emma.

message 30: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana P&P: 5 (at least)
S&S/Persuasion: 2
All the others: 1

My all time favs are P&P, Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey :)

message 31: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Adriana wrote: "Pride & Prejudice 3 or 4 times (I've lost count!), Persuasion twice, Sense & Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey once each. I can't bring myself to read Emma. I saw the film with Gwy..."

That was my situation, but reversed! I watched the BBC version and when I went to read the book I could not erase what I had seen in the movie, but after watching the Paltrow version I was able to enjoy it a lot more. Sometimes its hard to watch the movie before the book- those darn actors can ruin it sometimes! haha!

DENISA HOWE several times on all. I read them, fell in love.. read them to my daughters and then let them read them later and then I watch them on Masterpiece and end up reading them again... I adore these stories

Trisan I usually start my summer reading with Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion. Probably been doing this for the last 15 years. Die hard!

DENISA HOWE Trisan wrote: "I usually start my summer reading with Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion. Probably been doing this for the last 15 years. Die hard!"

It is the book most read in my library.. all the daughters and daughters in law and... I have grandchildren coming up too

message 35: by J.V. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.V. Carr I read Pride and Prejudice twice but reread my favorite parts of the novel too many times to count!

message 36: by Euraylie (last edited Apr 11, 2013 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euraylie I probably re-read S&S and P&P once every two years. Persuasion, Northhanger Abbey and Emma probably every four years.
The only one I've only read twice is Mansfield Park. Liked it a bit better the second time around.

MaryAnn Kempher I read Pride and Prejudice at least once a year, and I just finished listening to the audio version. Which was great. Also, love to read S&S, but this time--listened to it on audio instead. Love audio books. Great to listen to while running around.

Katherine Hyde Jeni wrote: "I read all of them every year. I love Austen!"

Me too!

Kallie P&P 4, S&S 3, Persuasion 2, Mansfield Park 2, Emma 1 and Northanger Abbey 1. Love 'em.

Shawn P&P 1, S&S 2, M.P. 1

I would like to read them all at least once, though, and then go back and read P&P again for sure.

message 41: by Anna (last edited Oct 24, 2013 02:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Feeling worried about even entering this discussion, because I haven't read all of Austen's works. Aggh!

Oh well. Moving on anyway. . .

Pride and Prejudice I've read I believe twice, but I've watched the A&E 1995 miniseries at least a hundred times; does that count? ;)

Mansfield Park I've read once.

Northanger Abbey I've read once.

Sense and Sensibility. . . I'm getting there. . .

Persuasion I need to read.

Emma I really want to read.

Sanditon would be interesting to read, being unfinished and all. Of course, that might just be torture, because I would be left hanging at the "end". Hmm. . .

Lady Susan sounds intriguing to read.

:)

Sepsun Pasaribu Twice. Haven't tried other works by Austen but wanted to. Which one should I read first: Sense and Sensibility or Emma? Ty

Kallie For some reason, I keep thinking of Persuasion as one I want to read again soon. Anne is an interesting character who learns to think for herself. There is also an excellent film version with Amanda Root and Ciarin Hinds (sp)

Adrienne Pride and Prejudice three times
Persuasion twice
Sense and Sensibility I haven't gotten to yet
Emma once
Mansfield park five times and working on the sixth
Northanger Abbey once

message 45: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda I read them all probably every one to two years! They are so amazing!

message 46: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle Maxwell Four times each. They are equally enjoyable whenever I revisit them, but I have never fully analyzed their attraction. It's probably their sardonic tone and the concern Jane Austen shows for her characters.

Marilyn I read all of them once a year, except Northanger Abbey.

Marcy Adriana wrote: "Pride & Prejudice 3 or 4 times (I've lost count!), Persuasion twice, Sense & Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey once each. I can't bring myself to read Emma. I saw the film with Gwy..."

OMG! Many of us, myself totally included, don't like the Paltrow version of Emma. But it's my favorite! You simply MUST read it. Also, did you see the film Clueless? It's sort of a modern Emma.

Marcy All twice each and currently on my second read of Mansfield Park. I can foresee reading most of them again, except for Northanger Abbey, which I didn't much like. I saw S&S before I ever read it, and I cannot read it without picturing Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet in those roles, actually everyone in the movie, since it was cast so well. But I don't mind.

message 50: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate I've read Pride and Prejudice at least ten times. It's my favorite book of all time. I think I've read the rest of them only once except Emma, which I read twice.

« previous 1