A History of Royals discussion

Royalty Challenges for 2013 > Get to know an author challenge

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (last edited Jan 01, 2013 11:36PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
This one is an easy one to figure out, although it may be a hard one to complete, depending on who you pick. For this challenge, pick an author of historical fiction, and read try to read all of their Royalty related books. Skipping books that you have already read is fine, but in order to consider this challenge completed, you must read at least six books.

If for some reason the author that you pick has not written six books, you can pick another author to read after you have completed the first author's works, and fill in the rest of the books that way.

I hope that this makes sense. If not, just ask me questions and I will attempt to clarify what I mean. :)

Some examples are Philippa Gregory, Michelle Moran, or Jean Plaidy. Just remember, the books you read have to fit the group definition of Royalty related.

message 2: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 49 comments ooohhhh I think this is fun. I have a couple of authors in mind.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 12 comments Is this the actual challenge or a suggestion? I love it.

Linda B.

message 4: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Linda wrote: "Is this the actual challenge or a suggestion? I love it.

Linda B."

This is actually a challenge. Try to pick an author who has at least 6 or 7 Royalty related books and read all of the books of that type that they have written.

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (goodreadscomshirleyec) | 57 comments All the challenges sound great, Lyn. I've never done one before so I'm a little hesitant to start but I am interested. Where can I find quidelines as to the group definition of Royalty? Thanks.

message 6: by Kit (new)

Kit I Love this one! I'm looking into Elizabeth Chadwick's works.

message 7: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 25 comments I have a couple of authors in mind at the moment. Will have to do a little more research and see if I can work this one in as well to all my other challenges. :)

message 8: by Kit (new)

Kit Is it ok to over-lap on the challenges or do we need to do a seperate books per challenges? I may attempt all three challenges!

message 9: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I'm thinking about doing this one either with Robin Maxwell or Karen Harper. I have not read either of these authors before. Does anyone have any experience with either of them and can make a suggestion or give an opinion? I have several books on my to-read shelf from both authors. I have a question that does not apply to me but might apply to others. If you have read some on an author's books before would you skip over those titles for the challenge or would you need to reread those titles for the challenge?

message 10: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 25 comments I love Karen Harper's books! I think I've read everything historical that she's written so far, except for one, which I have, just haven't read yet.

I've read 1 or 2 by Robin Maxwell, and ahve enjoyed them as well.

message 11: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Shirley wrote: "All the challenges sound great, Lyn. I've never done one before so I'm a little hesitant to start but I am interested. Where can I find quidelines as to the group definition of Royalty? Thanks."

That is a good question, Shirley. I don't think that we have ever actually defined what is considered Royalty for the groups purposes. Generally, it is anyone in "the Royal family" of whatever culture you are looking at. We have mostly limited it to actual historical figures and families that actually rule or ruled at some time in their countries history. An exception, though, is that we have stretched it to include mythical kings and queens, such as Arthur, Guinevere, etc. We also have included the Popes of Europe during the period that the Papal States actually owned and ruled kingdoms. An example of this would be the Borgias.

Clear as mud, huh? If you have a specific book or person in mind, you can ask me and I will let you know if it fits.

message 12: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Kit wrote: "Is it ok to over-lap on the challenges or do we need to do a seperate books per challenges? I may attempt all three challenges!"

I am definitely not against overlap. It is mostly up to you whether you want to overlap your books or not.

message 13: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Christie wrote: "I'm thinking about doing this one either with Robin Maxwell or Karen Harper. I have not read either of these authors before. Does anyone have any experience with either of them and can make a sugge..."

Skipping books that you have already read is fine, Christie. In fact, I am going to adjust the challenge to say that you need to read a minimum of 6 books for this challenge, but as many as you can fit in.

message 14: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
Lyn M wrote: "Shirley wrote: "All the challenges sound great, Lyn. I've never done one before so I'm a little hesitant to start but I am interested. Where can I find quidelines as to the group definition of Roya..."

Couldn't have said it better :)

message 15: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) So I think I will go with Karen Harper for this challenge. She has 14 royalty related titles and I will try to read all of them this year.

message 16: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (goodreadscomshirleyec) | 57 comments Lyn M wrote: "Shirley wrote: "All the challenges sound great, Lyn. I've never done one before so I'm a little hesitant to start but I am interested. Where can I find quidelines as to the group definition of Roya..."

Thanks, Lyn...definately, clear as mud. lol.
Jennifer will tell me what to read so I won't have to stress myself much. ;)

message 17: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Christie wrote: "So I think I will go with Karen Harper for this challenge. She has 14 royalty related titles and I will try to read all of them this year."

Good for you, Christie! And good luck! Let us know how you like the books.

message 18: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Shirley wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Shirley wrote: "All the challenges sound great, Lyn. I've never done one before so I'm a little hesitant to start but I am interested. Where can I find quidelines as to the group defi..."

Nice to have an expert handy, isn't it. :)

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina This sounds like a great challenge! Since I have several of Sharon Kay Penman's books just waiting for me to read, I think I'll choose her :)

message 20: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I am in the same boat, Tina. I have tons of Penmans. Need to get reading, that is for sure.

message 21: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 49 comments Funny, I'm going to read Penman for this challenge as well. There are so many of her books I've been eager to read, this challenge is the perfect push to finally get started. Happy Reading Everyone!

message 22: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Sharon is one of the top HF writers when it comes to royalty, that is for sure.

message 23: by Tina (new)

Tina Lyn, I've been looking around, but haven't seen a sign up like there is for the reading through the eras challenge. Do I just note my interest here. . . maybe come back here with my list of books. . .or is there another folder I'm supposed to be in?? Thanks :)

message 24: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Tina wrote: "Lyn, I've been looking around, but haven't seen a sign up like there is for the reading through the eras challenge. Do I just note my interest here. . . maybe come back here with my list of books...."

Sorry, I didn't put up widgets for all of the challenges like I did for the Era one. I thought for this one, we could all just list our books on a thread here and then cross them off as we read them. Does that sound all right?

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol Rushing | 6 comments I agree. I have read several books by Penman and plan to read the rest. I look forward to completing this challenge.

message 27: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Wow, Christie, that is a great list!

message 28: by Tina (new)

Tina Here are the Sharon Kay Penman books I plan on reading:

Welsh Princes Series (I've read the first one, but plan on re-reading it because It's been awhile)
Here be Dragons
Falls the Shadow
The Reckoning

Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine Series (I've read the first one, but plan on re-reading it because it's been awhile)
When Christ and His Saints Slept
Time and Chance
Devil's Brood

Lionheart

And because I own it but haven't read it yet. . .
The Queen's Man

message 29: by Carol (last edited May 26, 2013 10:49PM) (new)

Carol Rushing | 6 comments The Sharon Kay Penman books I have read are:
The Sunne in Splendour
Here Be Dragons
Falls The Shadow
The Reckoning
Lionheart
Time and Chance
The Devil's Brood
The Queen's Man
Cruel As the Grave
Dragon's Lair
Prince Of Darkness

message 30: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Tina and Carol, you guys are inspiring me. :)

message 31: by Linda (new)

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 12 comments I am considering Sharon Kay Penman, too. I have read The Sunne in Splendour and Lionheart so I want to get into the others also. I like the others that have been mentioned, too, though, because I'm not familiar with Karen Harper and Robin Maxwell. So nice to have lots of choices!

message 32: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Yes, Linda, You do.

message 33: by Tina (last edited Mar 03, 2013 03:51PM) (new)

Tina I too have read The Sunne in Splendour and really liked it! I'm looking forward to the re-reads as well as the new reads coming up! Can't wait to see your list Lyn :)

message 34: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (last edited Mar 07, 2013 12:55PM) (new)

My list looks a lot like yours, Tina, except I am going to start with the Henry and Eleanor books:

Time and Chance
Devil's Brood
Lionheart

Then move to the Welsh Prince ones, I think, or maybe some of the Justin De Quincy ones. And of course, I want to work in The Sunne in Splendour.

message 35: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) First one done
1. The Poyson Garden
2. The Tidal Poole
3. The Twylight Tower
4. The Queene's Cure
5. The Thorne Maze
6. The Queene's Christmas
7. The Fyre Mirror
8. The Fatal Fashione
9. The Hooded Hawke
10. The First Princess of Wales
11. The Last Boleyn
12. The Queen's Governess
13. The Irish Princess
14. Mistress of Mourning

message 36: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Congrats on getting the first one done, Christie!

message 37: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 49 comments The Sharon Kay Penman books I plan on reading are:

Justin de Quincy Series:
1. The Queen's Man
2. Cruel as the Grave
3. Dragon's Lair
4. Prince of Darkness

Welsh Princes Series:
5. Here be Dragons
6. Falls the Shadow
7. The Reckoning

8. The Sunne in Splendour

I have already read her other books.

message 38: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Sabrina wrote: "The Sharon Kay Penman books I plan on reading are:

Justin de Quincy Series:
The Queen's Man

2. Cruel as the Grave
3. Dragon's Lair
4. Prince of Darkness

Welsh Princes Series:
5. Here be Dr..."

Luckily she has lots of books, huh Sabrina! :)

message 39: by Kit (new)

Kit Think I have decided to go with Carolly Erickson: I had a terrible tme deciding; it was a toss up between Karen Harper, Carolly Erikson, Sharon Penman and Philipa Gregory. I went with Carolly, because of her range from England, Europe and Russian Royals!

message 40: by Kit (last edited Sep 08, 2013 04:50PM) (new)

Kit Carolly Erickson:

1. Mistress Anne, Biography.

2. The Unfaithful Queen: A Novel of Henry VIII's Fifth Wife, Fiction. Done :D 8/1/13.

3. Alexandra: The Last Tsarina, Biography. Done :D 5/29/13.

4.The Memoirs of Mary Queen of Scots, Fiction. Done 7/23/13. :D

5. The First Elizabeth, Biography.

6.The Tsarina's Daughter, Fiction.

7. The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, Fiction. Done 6/13/13. :D

8. Her Little Majesty: The Life of Queen Victoria, Biography.

9. The Favored Queen: A Novel of Henry VIII's Third Wife. Fiction. Done 7/31/13. :D

10. The Last Wife of Henry VIII Done. :D 8/3/13.

message 41: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Kit wrote: "Think I have decided to go with Carolly Erickson: I had a terrible tme deciding; it was a toss up between Karen Harper, Carolly Erikson, Sharon Penman and Philipa Gregory. I went with Carolly, bec..."

Good choice, Kit. I hope you enjoy the reading!

message 42: by Kit (last edited May 07, 2013 01:22PM) (new)

Kit Lyn M wrote: "Kit wrote: "Think I have decided to go with Carolly Erickson: I had a terrible tme deciding; it was a toss up between Karen Harper, Carolly Erikson, Sharon Penman and Philipa Gregory. I went with ..."

I think I'm going to really enjoy this author; she writes non-fiction as well as fiction. I'm planning on reading several of both.

message 43: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I didn't realize that she wrote non-fiction, Kit. That is good to know.

message 44: by Kit (new)

Kit Lyn M wrote: "I didn't realize that she wrote non-fiction, Kit. That is good to know."

She acutually has more books listed under biographies; ie Mistress Anne and non-fiction, Royal Panoply: Brief Lives of the English Monarchs. I'll try to remember to list fiction and non-fiction beside each title. I love both! Usually a good fiction will trigger the desire to learn more about the real character; I not satisfied until I learn every thing I can about them!

message 45: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 49 comments Usually a good fiction will trigger the desire to learn more about the real character; I not satisfied until I learn every thing I can about them!

I absolutely agree.

message 46: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Same here, Kit and Sabrina. I love finding out everything there is to know about the person.

message 47: by Carol (new)

Carol Rushing | 6 comments I finished my challenge to read all of Sharon Kay Penman's books. I thoroughly enjoyed them--cannot decide which is my favorite. Now I need to read more about William the Conqueror and William Marshall.

message 48: by Kit (last edited Sep 08, 2013 04:52PM) (new)

Kit Getting really bogged down-guess I will have to catch up this fall on this reading challenge and cut short my reading! I still have 7 to go!!

Yeah, I actually forgot to record two-I had them under my shelf; but not listed. Yeah only 4 to go! Now I'm energized!! :D

message 49: by Kit (new)

Kit I think I'm finished with this for now-I'm going to try and finish the rest by next year; but I've decided I want to read several other authors as well. (I get side-tracked so easily!!). Have we decided on any challenges for next year?