The Readers discussion

The Readers Book Club > A Possible Change to the Book Club

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon (savidgereads) | 449 comments Mod
Hello one and all,

I hope you have had a lovely Christmas and are getting all excited about the New Year? I am!

Now Gavin and I have been having a chat over Xmas and we are thinking of changing the Book Club format... By getting rid of the third section with guests talking about the book!

The reasons for this, and there are a few, is that we don't get any volunteers anymore, we aren't sure if we should have the spoilers in the episode full stop and we worry the episode ends up being too long and repetitive. What do you all think?

message 2: by Tasha (last edited Dec 31, 2012 03:27AM) (new)

Tasha That would still work for me! Although I have enjoyed the guests, honestly, I prefer just listening to you guys banter and by the time the third part arrives, have probably heard most of what will be said anyway. :)

Btw, this is speaking as one of 'those' the people that has never volunteered to be a guest. ;)

message 3: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I won't mind the change. I like to hear about the book entirely, so spoilers don't bother me.

message 4: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments I think changing it to a 2 part podcast (1) discussion with the author w/o spoilers and (2) discussion with Simon and Gavin w/ or w/o a guest but with spoilers would work just fine. I think, however, having that 3rd party really does add a lot to the podcast. I loved hearing Simon's mum's comments about The Song of Achilles and Darrin's contributions to Some Kind of Fairy Tale, for example. It really added to my experience, personally.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott | 2 comments Hi Simon I listened to the new book club format today and must say that I did not enjoy it as much as I have previous book club episodes. Not because of the elimination of the third section but rather the choice to not spoil the book. If I read a book for the book club, I would like to hear a substantive discussion of the book's ideas and themes. I don't think i got that with The Last Rituals' discussion. You were both very enthusiastic about the book, but it seemed were unable to fully unpack your discussion for fear of spoiling it. I for one, if I am making the effort to read the book quickly and in advance of your discussion, would like to have it be worth my while. I didn't feel as if your most recent discussion gave me that. My 2 cents. Love the episodes otherwise.

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I agree Scott. I think spoiler discussions should be a part of the discussion. :)

message 7: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) Just saying Ditto re the spoilers. I think they're needed for an in depth discussion. If they're at the end and clearly marked, then I can turn off at that point if I'm going to read the book, or I can keep going if I've read it or don't plan to read it at all.

message 8: by Simon (new)

Simon (savidgereads) | 449 comments Mod
Thanks very much for your comments guys. I will talk this over with Gav and pop spoilers back in. Hope you still enjoyed the interview with Yrsa and our thoughts anyway?

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha LOVED the interview with Yrsa! I plan on getting her book back out of the library (didn't get to it the first time) asap.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott | 2 comments Yes, Simon. Great interview and a great choice for the book club. I'd not heard of Yrsa - so it was good to "find" a new series to lose myself in. Thanks!

message 11: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 68 comments Scott wrote: "Hi Simon I listened to the new book club format today and must say that I did not enjoy it as much as I have previous book club episodes. Not because of the elimination of the third section but ..."

I agree. I haven't been able to read many of the book club books yet, but the ones that I want to read, I hold off on listening to until I have finished. If I probably won't read it then I just listen to the discussion anyways because I like hearing how the book went. So, no worries in my book about spoilers. In the earlier episodes of the book club, it took much self restraint to stop listening after the "spoiler alert" was announced. Just don't worry about it. Let the listener be accountable.