Independent Author Services and Promotions discussion

Welcome to the Group! > Questions?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Editing Services by Cynthia Shepp (cynthiasheppedits) | 221 comments Mod
Have any questions? Ask away!

message 2: by Deray (new)

Deray Ogden (derayogden) | 10 comments Is anyone familiar with TRUELINE ENTERTAINMENT, and if so, has anyone been involved in their 'Book to Screen' program?

message 3: by Magen (new)

Magen McMinimy (magen_mcminimy) | 54 comments I'm curious how authors feel about rating their own books on here?

I've noticed that some authors do this, I feel like it's a bit of a gray area. I'm curious to hear what the other authors think of it. As well as bloggers, reviews, really anyone who has an opinion.

I think most people do it. I think it is more like liking your own page on facebook. On here, not a big deal :)

Deray wrote: "Is anyone familiar with TRUELINE ENTERTAINMENT, and if so, has anyone been involved in their 'Book to Screen' program?"

I have never heard of it. Tried to google it but didn't really find anything about it.

message 6: by Magen (new)

Magen McMinimy (magen_mcminimy) | 54 comments See that makes sense, but I've been on forums on places like amazon where people rip into authors not only for reviewing their own books, but for "allowing" family and friends to review them. I totally see the difference between amazon and here, but I wondered if that negativity was felt here too.

message 7: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments I know that some people here have rates the book with no review.... Have an issue with that.

message 8: by Deray (new)

Deray Ogden (derayogden) | 10 comments My mistake Cynthia, it's TRULINE ENTERTAINMENT (no E!). The web address is: http://www.thruline.com/

Cynthia wrote: "Deray wrote: "Is anyone familiar with TRUELINE ENTERTAINMENT, and if so, has anyone been involved in their 'Book to Screen' program?"

I have never heard of it. Tried to google it but didn't really..."

message 9: by Magen (new)

Magen McMinimy (magen_mcminimy) | 54 comments S.L. wrote: "I know that some people here have rates the book with no review.... Have an issue with that."

So you think if an Author rates their own book they should leave a review? Do you think it should be like an extended blurb or an actual review?

message 10: by Editing Services (new)

Magen wrote: "S.L. wrote: "I know that some people here have rates the book with no review.... Have an issue with that."

So you think if an Author rates their own book they should leave a review? Do you think i..."

I definitely don't think that authors should REVIEW their own books. I think Shannon is talking about readers that just rate books without leaving a review.

message 11: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments Yes, I do not think authors should review their own work. I was talking about readers. Sorry. Another question... Should an author who has a piece in an anthology hold to the idea that they shouldn't review the remainder of the anthology, as they are all in the same book? Even though the rest of the work isn't that of the author...

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Andrassy (stephanie_andrassy) S.L. wrote: "Yes, I do not think authors should review their own work. I was talking about readers. Sorry. Another question... Should an author who has a piece in an anthology hold to the idea that they sho..."

Even though the rest of the work is not the work of that author, the author reviewing the work of the others was involved in the overall project. I think that even a part review might be seen as "shady" for the sole purpose of increasing sales of the anthology in general. Readers might believe that an author wouldn't trash the work within a project the author was involved in; positive reviews may seem suspect and biased, and turn away readers.

message 13: by Editing Services (last edited Jan 10, 2013 06:31AM) (new)

S.L. wrote: "Yes, I do not think authors should review their own work. I was talking about readers. Sorry. Another question... Should an author who has a piece in an anthology hold to the idea that they sho..."
I tend to agree with Stephanie on this one. If you are involved with the anthology, you probably should not review it. Even though (in my opinion) I think it is BS. I just got jumped ALL over on the Kindle Boards for reviewing a book that I edited. It seriously pissed me off because I loved the author's books before I ever started editing his books. I felt that it was good enough to deserve a review. It is not like I have a financial interest in the book. I got paid for editing, I don't get paid royalties. The success of the book has nothing to do with me per se. I got told it was shady and it looked like I was offering 5 star reviews along with my edits. Whch is again BS because I do not review every book that I edit. But because it seemed to discredit me, I put a statement on the review on Amazon that the review was from the editor and I have made it a new policy not to review books that I edited. I want to succeed...not have people questioning my integrity. Even though I KNOW that I was only offering support to an author that I believe has great talent, apparently the world is such a messed up place that support is seen as suspect and every action is over-analyzed.

message 14: by Magen (new)

Magen McMinimy (magen_mcminimy) | 54 comments Cynthia wrote: "S.L. wrote: "Yes, I do not think authors should review their own work. I was talking about readers. Sorry. Another question... Should an author who has a piece in an anthology hold to the idea ..."

It is total BS, but this is what I was saying before. When it comes to reviews people are always looking for some reason to discredit good reviews. I've mentioned in a few of my reviews that I rarely give out 5 star reviews because people seem to always come to the conclusion that you are either being paid for the review or you are a friend or family member of the author; which I also think is crap.

If someone I know pays for one of my books and choses to leave a review, I think they have every right to tell others if they liked the book. I've never asked a friend or family member to go on amazon or anywhere else and review my books and I will never ask them to remove an honest review they may chose to leave.

I think it's ridiculous that an author who participates in an anthology shouldn't review it, in most cases that author is not making royalties on the anthology.

It feels like . . . it's not ok to be supportive.

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (CindySmithJordan) | 8 comments Good Evening All
Have anyone heard of Dorrance Publishing in PA before?

message 16: by Magen (new)

Magen McMinimy (magen_mcminimy) | 54 comments Cindy wrote: "Good Evening All
Have anyone heard of Dorrance Publishing in PA before?"

Yep, they wanted to publish my YA book Twins of Aurora. What would like to know about them?

message 17: by Editing Services (new)

Magen wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "S.L. wrote: "Yes, I do not think authors should review their own work. I was talking about readers. Sorry. Another question... Should an author who has a piece in an anthology h..."

That is exactly what it feels like!

message 18: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments That sucks, Cynthia... I think you should be able to review the content of the story, plot and characters. But this is why I'm mad... Another author posted an Amazon link and 45 1 star reviews because there was no ebook. None if these people had read the book!! They just gave it 1 star to protest. WHAT?!? It seems like everyone is trying to interpret reviews. Bugs me!!

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Andrassy (stephanie_andrassy) I think people are trying to interpret reviews because there have been authors playing dirty pool with fake or trumped up reviews. I trust it will fly back and bite them eventually, but people are wary because of it. Even though your opinion is just as valid, there seems to be an unwritten professional standard that readers and other authors are expecting from those in the industry. If there is even a glimmer of a connection to a book, it probably just isn't worth risking your reputation / credibility because there are people watching with magnifying glasses.

I don't understand the comment about the 45 1 star reviews... An author was upset that there was no ebook version of a book (their own book?) and had fans post 1 star reviews for the printed version to protest the lack of an ebook version?

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley M. (AshleyMSwisher) | 3 comments Hello fellow indie authors. I have a ?. I am attempting to send a reviewer my book in modi (kindle) format. How do I send this type of file through hotmail? Anyone know?

message 21: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments Hi, Stephanie
No, the 45 1 star reviews were given to the book in question merely because the book did not have an ebook version. 90% of the reviews came from people who haven't read the book and state that in the reviews.
Just wrong when anyone puts up a false review...

message 22: by Melodie (new)

Melodie Ramone (melodieramone) Ashley wrote: "Hello fellow indie authors. I have a ?. I am attempting to send a reviewer my book in modi (kindle) format. How do I send this type of file through hotmail? Anyone know?"

Hi, Ashley. If you have the file converted to mobi on your computer, you can just attach it to the e-mail and send it no worries. They can download it and send it straight to whatever device they want to read it on.

message 23: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments Hi, Ashley
If the file is too large, you can use an app/ site called sendit and they help get large files sent. Another option is Dropbox.com.

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley M. (AshleyMSwisher) | 3 comments Thanks guys!!

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley M. (AshleyMSwisher) | 3 comments I think I got it sent! :)

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Andrassy (stephanie_andrassy) S.L. wrote: "Hi, Stephanie
No, the 45 1 star reviews were given to the book in question merely because the book did not have an ebook version. 90% of the reviews came from people who haven't read the book and ..."

Totally agree!

message 27: by Bart (new)

Bart Hopkins (barthopkins) | 33 comments Ashley wrote: "Thanks guys!!"

Ashley - There is a free program called Calibre that will convert files into all kinds of different formats...small enough to email.

message 28: by Editing Services (new)

Richard,
There is a Services thread. Hope this helps!