75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (Intros & General) > Questions/ Help

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4115 comments Mod
If you have any questions or need help you can leve a message here or send a private message to one of the mods.

message 2: by Alecia (new)

Alecia Hi Andrea,

Well here I am starting my 2013 list. Please check it out because I'm a little confused as to the topic section. It looks like my first book, Unbroken, will be in the heading of Alecia's list for 2013, rather than in the place where the book is reviewed. Not being the most technically savvy of your readers;), I can't figure it out. Thanks!

message 3: by Charleen (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:45AM) (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1527 comments It looks like everyone who was looking for it has found it, but the new board to create your 2013 thread is here. Just click the "new topic" option to create your thread.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(click image to enlarge)

message 4: by Alecia (new)

Alecia Charleen wrote: "It looks like everyone who was looking for it has found it, but the new board to create your 2013 thread is here. Just click the "new topic" option to create your thread.

I did do that, but I am talking about where the little photo of the book, unbroken, appears. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like it appears in my main subject header.

"

message 5: by Charleen (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:34AM) (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1527 comments Alecia, I've tried to fix this, but it doesn't seem to be working. If you hit "edit" -- not for any individual post but for the thread itself, up next to the heading "Alecia's List for 2013" -- there is an option to clear the thread's topic. I've tried it multiple times but it seems to be resetting. You could try clearing it yourself (if you haven't already) and see if it will work for you. (Maybe there is a limit to our moderator powers!)

It's also possible that it did work and is just taking time for the website to catch up.

If all else fails, you could delete your thread and start a new one, if it really bothers you. That's frustrating, though, because there should definitely be a way to fix this!

ETA: I am curious, did you enter a book into the "this topic is about book/author" field when creating the thread, or did it automatically take the first book mentioned? Because if the latter, then that's a change by GR, and hopefully an unintentional one, as threads like ours aren't about any individual book.

message 6: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1527 comments Alecia wrote: "Charleen wrote: "It looks like everyone who was looking for it has found it, but the new board to create your 2013 thread is here. Just click the "new topic" option to create your thread.

I did do..."

Yes, sorry, that wasn't a response to your question. Just a general tutorial for those who had been asking how/where to put their new threads for this year.

message 7: by Lorifog (new)

Lorifog | 118 comments How do you folks get a ticker at the bottom of your post? I love that idea!

message 8: by Alecia (new)

Alecia Charleen wrote: "Alecia, I've tried to fix this, but it doesn't seem to be working. If you hit "edit" -- not for any individual post but for the thread itself, up next to the heading "Alecia's List for 2013" -- the..."

ETA: I am curious, did you enter a book into the "this topic is about book/author" field when creating the thread, or did it automatically take the first book mentioned? Because if the latter, then that's a change by GR, and hopefully an unintentional one, as threads like ours aren't about any individual book.

Charleen, re: the above, I did enter the book into the "this topic is about book/author"...it did not do it automatically. Should I try to cancel the thread and not do that when I put my review in aggain? On that same note, how do you get the little book photo that you wnat to review in your review, not as a general topic?

message 9: by Alecia (new)

Alecia I keep trying to "clear" it, but it keeps resetting exactly the same. Any ideas?

message 10: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1527 comments Alecia wrote: "Should I try to cancel the thread and not do that when I put my review in aggain? On that same note, how do you get the little book photo that you wnat to review in your review, not as a general topic?"

Yes, that field should be kept blank. Seems like there should be a way to clear it once it's there, but since that doesn't seem to be working, probably just creating a new thread is easiest.

Where you want to add the book you're talking about is in the comment box where you compose the rest of your message. There is a link -- "add book/author" -- directly above the box. It's there that you can add a link to the title, author, or show a cover image of the book. This will put the link in the individual comment, without applying that book to the entire thread.

Let me know if you have any issues following the steps; I can make more screencap images if it will help.

message 11: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1527 comments Lorifog wrote: "How do you folks get a ticker at the bottom of your post? I love that idea!"

The site I use is Ticker Factory, although there are many others out there. Set up the counter the way you want it, and then it will give you an HTML code you can copy and paste into your thread here.

message 12: by Alecia (new)

Alecia I can not seem to cancel my thread or any part of my thread to start over again. I tried to click on "delete this topic" but a box popped up and said only the administrator could do that. I haven't a clue how to get rid of Unbroken as my topic, or restart my thread. Not a good start, but at least I liked the book! If you can delete it all, let me know and I'll start over. Thanks.

message 13: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1527 comments Alecia wrote: "I can not seem to cancel my thread or any part of my thread to start over again. I tried to click on "delete this topic" but a box popped up and said only the administrator could do that. I haven't..."

Okay, it's gone. Sorry this has been so frustrating!

message 14: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4115 comments Mod
Alecia, I am so sorry that you had so much trouble. Goodreads while wonderful can be a little glitchy at times. Looks like you were in good hands with Charleen though! :)

message 15: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1527 comments Karen wrote: "I've noticed in my thread's header (Karen C's Booklist 2013) it shows a 3-star rating for all my posts. It's not a big deal because I give a rating in the text box; I'm just curious why that happe..."

It's not just you. It has to do with a feature that I can only assume was introduced sometime in 2012, because I never saw this issue before, and suddenly when we all created our 2013 threads it started popping up.

What happens is, when you start a thread, there's an option to say what book the thread is about. It's a great feature for book discussions, because then you can see at a glance how everyone commenting rated the book, especially if it isn't obvious from their comment.

But that isn't the way our group uses the discussion threads. Your entire thread isn't about that book; your entire thread will be about many books. But because your first post was about that book, you naturally entered that book into the field that said, "What book is this topic about?"

This is something that SHOULD be fixable, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be. I've tried editing your topic to clear the book, but when I hit save it doesn't actually change anything. Annoying, but until GR fixes the bug, there's really nothing we can do.