Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Adding my books to Listopia - Tacky?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 55 comments In my eyes, depends what list. 'Greatest book of the century' - No. But a simply factual list, descriptive of the subject, I see no harm in. Not fifty lists, either. One or two.

That's me.

message 2: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 55 comments H.R., I don't pretend to tell you what you can or can't do. Unfortunately - at times I do think unfortunately - these things are left up to our individual judgement. That was, most simply, my opinion.

message 3: by Bryn (last edited Dec 30, 2012 06:12PM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 55 comments There are authors' groups where you can find more discussion. Eg. Authors' Lounge:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...
'A place for authors to exchange ideas and share information on Goodreads. Or otherwise, unwind, relax and meet other authors. This is our place where we can be ourselves.'

See you around. Happy New Year.

message 4: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 37 comments I think it depends on how you go about doing it. I have seen authors come in and put their book on hundreds of lists, most of which have absolutely nothing to do with the book itself. That's annoying and spamming and will probably have the opposite effect you hope for.

Finding some lists that are for general things, topics, year of publication, YA or adult, then it will not be a big deal unless the list is specifically for readers to judge (such as Best YA book of 2012).

Honestly, the best way to get recognition as an author on GR is to participate as a reader. Read book, rate and review books, engage with people about the things you're reading. As people get to know you the reader, they will be more interested in you the writer. If you view this as more of a community you are entering than a shiny new marketing tool, you'll probably fare a lot better.

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments HR, I second what Stefani said. General lists, like year published, cover art, topic/genre, are all great places to put your books, but I wouldn't place them on more than a couple, each. Putting them on the "best of" lists would come across as very spammy. Definitely, participating on GR as a reader will get you a lot more respect and interest in your work.
Best of luck to you!

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments And add some other books to the lists, don't vote only for your own book.