Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > Stevie's 50 in 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments As is typical for me, I'm setting up my thread a couple of days early in the excitement to get started on a new year's worth of reading. Hopefully this year I'll manage 50 *new* books so that my widget & stats actually recognize that I've completed my challenge. (They don't acknowledge re-reads.) That'll be interesting, especially since I plan to re-read Ulysses this year.
Happy New Year!

message 2: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1830 comments Mod
Happy (early) New Year, Stefanie! Good luck with your reading!

message 3: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments Thank you! To you, as well. :)

librarian4Him02 | 264 comments I discovered the widget will recognize re-reads if you change the start and finish dates to reflect the current year.

If you're like me and want to keep track of all the times you read a book, you can put past dates in the notes field of your review.

message 5: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments Librarianforhim wrote: "I discovered the widget will recognize re-reads if you change the start and finish dates to reflect the current year.

If you're like me and want to keep track of all the times you read a book, yo..."

Thank you!!! I will do that. :)

message 6: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments Thanks to one last, vast, open day on my vacation, I've already finished book #1 for the year.

1. Song of Solomon - Toni Morrison

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Where is that widget? How can I get it?

message 8: by Stefanie (last edited Jan 01, 2013 06:08PM) (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments Alison wrote: "Where is that widget? How can I get it?"

It's the "2013 reading challenge"... if there isn't a link on your home screen (which there should be), go to my profile page... it's down the right side a bit, and you can click to make your own. :)

message 9: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments ok I know how to get that, but how do you get it to change it to recognize rereads?

message 10: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments Alison wrote: "ok I know how to get that, but how do you get it to change it to recognize rereads?"

What Librarianforhim posted was to change (in the "more options" section of your review) the "date read" on your review of the book to the current date. I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense that it'd work.

message 11: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments ok

message 12: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 2. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - E.L. Konigsburg
3. The Last Holiday Concert - Andrew Clements

The former's a re-read after many years... I'm reading it with my 7th grade, and I had to read ahead to plan. The latter is a new read; I started it last year but never finished.

message 13: by Susie (last edited Jan 03, 2013 12:34PM) (new)

Susie Spizzirro (spizzirro) | 33 comments I have failed in my goal of reading 60 books this yr. So many serious problems this yr. I just couldn't keep up w/my perdiction. Time to set my challenge for 2013. I am going w/50 books this year. Wish me luck, susie

message 14: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments Susie wrote: "I have failed in my goal of reading 60 books this yr. So many serious problems this yr. I just couldn't keep up w/my perdiction. Time to set my challenge for 2013. I am going w/50 books this year...."

60 books is a steep challenge - there's no shame in not making it! Good luck with your 50 this year. Looking forward to seeing your success. :)

message 15: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 4. I'm A Believer: My Life of Music, Monkees, and Madness - Micky Dolenz

So glad to have FINALLY read this. I waited so long for it to come back into print, and then I let it sit on my shelf for far too long.

message 16: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 5. Witch Baby - Francesca Lia Block

message 17: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 6. Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys - Francesca Lia Block

So, I read Weetzie Bat as a teenager (and liked it), and I read Necklace of Kisses (which is the 6th book in the series) years later... I've finally been filling in these middle ones. They go so quickly, but they're as entertaining as I remember.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 181 comments Stefanie wrote: "4. I'm A Believer: My Life of Music, Monkees, and Madness - Micky Dolenz

So glad to have FINALLY read this. I waited so long for it to come back into print, and then I let it sit on my shelf for f..."

How on EARTH did I miss this book?? (I'm a confessed MonkeeManiac!) How was it?? I'll have to check it out!

message 19: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments Amy wrote: "Stefanie wrote: "4. I'm A Believer: My Life of Music, Monkees, and Madness - Micky Dolenz

So glad to have FINALLY read this. I waited so long for it to come back into print, and then I let it sit ..."

It was fantastic! Micky's my favorite, so it helped that he's the one who wrote it... the attitude and tone throughout the whole thing is very much *him*. It was interesting to get a new perspective on stories I already know, like the Don Kirschner fiasco, as well as to get new behind-the-scenes perspectives. I'd found out about it around 2000 or so, but it was out of print for a while. (It was written in 1993.) I definitely recommend checking it out if you are a MonkeeManiac. :)

message 20: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 7. Missing Angel Juan - Francesca Lia Block

One more Weetzie Bat book after this... haha. :) It's been a fun, light way to start the year.

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 181 comments Stefanie wrote: "Amy wrote: "Stefanie wrote: "4. I'm A Believer: My Life of Music, Monkees, and Madness - Micky Dolenz

So glad to have FINALLY read this. I waited so long for it to come back into print, and then I..."

Thanks so much...I'll definitely do that!! I haven't read a book about the Monkees since Davy's autobiography - God only knows how many years ago that was now! :)

message 22: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments Amy wrote: "Stefanie wrote: "Amy wrote: "Stefanie wrote: "4. I'm A Believer: My Life of Music, Monkees, and Madness - Micky Dolenz

So glad to have FINALLY read this. I waited so long for it to come back into ..."

Now it's my turn... Davy has an autobiography? How did I miss this? Haha... now I'll have to seek it out. :)

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 181 comments Yup! They Made a Monkey Out of Me It was many, many years ago, though, so I'm not even sure if it's still out there! I hope you can find it. I'll have to search and see if I still have my copy (though I'm thinking it disappeared after I got married). If I do find it, though, I'd be happy to let you read it! :)

message 24: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments Amy wrote: "Yup! They Made a Monkey Out of Me It was many, many years ago, though, so I'm not even sure if it's still out there! I hope you can find it. I'll have to search and see if I still have my copy ..."

Wow, thank you so much... both for the info and for the offer of a read if you can find it. :) I'm going to poke around on the internet a little later and see if I can scare up a copy.

message 25: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 8. Among the Impostors - Margaret Peterson Haddix

The second book in the "Shadow Children" series. I'd read the first book before, and I knew the kids at school get obsessed with the series... it's actually as good as its reputation suggests. I'm glad I decided to read this with my 5th graders.

message 26: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Amy wrote: "Yup! They Made a Monkey Out of Me It was many, many years ago, though, so I'm not even sure if it's still out there! I hope you can find it. I'll have to search and see if I still have my copy ..."

Ooh, that's now been added to *my* to-read list, too! Thanks for that! :)

message 27: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 9. The Children of Hurin - J.R.R. Tolkien
10. Tudor England - S.T. Bindoff

message 28: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 11. For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Child Rearing and the Roots of Violence - Alice Miller

message 29: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 12. NERDS: National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society - Michael Buckley

message 30: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 13. Ecstatic Poems - Kabir (Trans. Robert Bly)

message 31: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 14. The Girl Who Owned a City - O. T. Nelson

message 32: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 15. The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien

message 33: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 16. The Magician's Nephew - C.S. Lewis
17. Women Called to the Path of Rumi: The Way of the Whirling Dervish - Shakina Rheinhertz

message 34: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments After falling off the face of the earth (or, ok, the internet) for the end of the school year, it's time to get this back up to date!

18. King, Warrior, Magician, Lover - Robert L. Moore & Douglas Gillette
19. Merlin: The Lost Years - T. A. Barron
20. Kensuke's Kingdom - Michael Morpurgo
21. The Ballad of Lucy Whipple - Karen Cushman
22. Merlin: The Seven Songs - T. A. Barron

Whew! For such a strong start to the year, I got behind in the past couple of months. Time to get back on track.

message 35: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Stefanie wrote: "Whew! For such a strong start to the year, I got behind in the past couple of months. Time to get back on track."

Summer's a great time for reading. Long days, sunny weather, cool drinks... Sounds so good!

message 36: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 23. Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness
24. Bunnicula - James Howe

... And now I resolve to read a non-vampire book, ha. (Vampires are not usually my thing... Just coincidence to have these two in a row.)

message 37: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 25. Quiet, Please: Dispatches From a Public Librarian - Scott Douglas

message 38: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 26. Not Always So - Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

message 39: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 27. Talking to Girls About Duran Duran - Rob Sheffield

message 40: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 28. One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd - Jim Fergus
29. The Last Queen - C.W. Gortner
30. Franny and Zooey - J.D. Salinger (Reread - one of my favorite books. :))

message 41: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 31. Shampoo Planet - Douglas Coupland
32. 4,000 Years of Uppity Women - Vicki Leon

message 42: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 33. The Professor and the Madman - Simon Winchester
34. Land of the Free - Bart Brooks

message 43: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 35. Cut - Patricia McCormick
36. Banished Knowledge - Alice Miller

... I also find myself currently re-reading Ulysses and reading an Edward Rutherford book (The Forest) at the same time... No one can reasonably call my 50 books unambitious this year, haha!

message 44: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 37. The Forest - Edward Rutherford
38. The Lightkeeper's Daughter - Colleen Coble

message 45: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 39. The Memoirs of Mary Queen of Scots - Carolly Erickson

message 46: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 40. Mary, Bloody Mary - Carolyn Meyer

(gee, is my love of all things Tudor showing? haha)

message 47: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 41. Queen Elizabeth First: a Biography - J. E. Neale

message 48: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 42. The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory

message 49: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 43. Merlin: The Raging Fires - T.A. Barron

message 50: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 450 comments 44. The House at Riverton - Kate Morton

« previous 1