~2014 Reading Challenge~ discussion

2013 Challenge Tracking > Lisa's List 2013

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P I think I will try for 50 books again this year!

message 2: by Lisa P (last edited Feb 03, 2013 06:34PM) (new)

Lisa P 1. Trojan Odyssey Trojan Odyssey (Dirk Pitt, #17) by Clive Cussler by Clive Cussler.

3 Stars - Not my favorite of the Dirk Pitt Series (that would be Inca Gold), but still an enjoyable action/adventure story!

message 3: by Lisa P (last edited Feb 03, 2013 06:35PM) (new)

Lisa P 2. Force of Nature Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, #11) by Suzanne Brockmann by Suzanne Brockmann.

5 Stars - I love this series about Navy SEALs, and this was one of my favorites. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series in the near future.

message 4: by Lisa P (last edited Feb 03, 2013 06:35PM) (new)

Lisa P 3. Beneath the Dark Ice Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1) by Greig Beck by Greig Beck.

4 Stars - This was my first book written by Greig Beck, and I can definitely say it won’t be my last. Alex Hunter made for a great action/adventure hero. His Special-Ops training and his “unique abilities” made him especially qualified to handle the dangers that awaited he and his team, under the ice. I always seem to be drawn to stories of unique worlds or civilizations hidden away from the rest of society, and this one was no exception. This wondrous and dangerous world was completely unexpected; and the creatures found there were quite chilling, yet intriguing. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the action contained in this book. Between the evil-doers and the many creatures lurking around, I never knew what to expect next. It was non-stop action from beginning to end…(just how I like it)…never really sure of who, if any, would make it out alive! I highly recommend this book for any action/adventure enthusiasts!

message 5: by Lisa P (last edited Feb 03, 2013 06:36PM) (new)

Lisa P 4. The Lady Most Likely...: A Novel in Three Parts The Lady Most Likely... A Novel in Three Parts by Julia Quinn by Julia Quinn.

2 Stars - There were three seperate romances in this story and all of them were underdeveloped. Never really cared about any of the characters.

message 6: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P 5. Zero Point Zero Point by Tim Fairchild by Tim Fairchild.

4 Stars - I just finished Zero Point by Tim Fairchild, and I must say it was a rollercoaster of a ride (almost literally in some places)! Definitely reminded me of some of the Clive Cussler books I’ve read. The intricate storyline includes archeologists, lost religious relics, Japanese Mafia, greedy businessmen, lots of scientists, and some volcanos and tsunamis thrown in for good measure. At times I felt there was a little too much description of the techy/scientific stuff for my taste, but it really didn’t distract from my enjoyment of the story at all…There was so much action as well, that I hardly noticed after a while. Some of my favorite action stories are those involving highly trained military/special-op agent types. In this case, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the heroes of this book were just your average, ordinary (well maybe not quite average and ordinary-I sure couldn’t do what they do-but you get the picture) good, upstanding citizens, accidentally thrown into a dangerous situation, and calling on their skills and bravery to save the day. I really grew fond of these characters and look forward to hearing more about them in future books.

message 7: by Lisa P (last edited Jun 01, 2013 09:27AM) (new)

Lisa P 6. Shift Omnibus Edition Shift Omnibus Edition (Wool, #6-8) by Hugh Howey by Hugh Howey.

5 Stars - This is books 6-8 of the Wool Series. Wool Omnibus (books 1-5) was my favorite book from last year, and this one did not disappoint. If you like post-apocalyptic type stories, I highly recommend this series.

message 8: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P 7. Reign: Genesis Reign Genesis by Jeffrey Wergin by Jeffrey Wergin.

3 Stars - I was asked by the author to read this book and here is my review: I loved the idea of this story…What would one brave man do in the face of total collapse of his country, in order to survive and save those he loves. The nation is in total chaos and destruction with no one coming to the rescue. Owen takes it upon himself to take control of his own family’s destiny, and leads them on a perilous journey of endurance and preservation. Owen made a good hero…tender and loving at times with his family, yet strong, capable and merciless with those that stood against him. He would save his family and defeat the evil, no matter what! The storyline and action flowed along at a comfortable pace and I was always looking forward to what would happen next.

What I didn’t love about this book was the writing style in some parts of the story. It just made me feel a little uncomfortable at times. I felt that there was a little too much “telling” instead of “showing me” the story, with some "info dumping" at times. I don’t necessarily want to know everything all at once. A little revealed here, and a little more there, throughout the story, is much more appealing in my opinion. And this leads right into the end of the story. The religious mythological, fantasy element of the story is explained to us all at once in one of the ending chapters. It was very vaguely hinted at earlier in the story, but not nearly enough. I think the story would have flowed better with little bits of this secondary storyline revealed to us a little at a time throughout the entire story. It just came too “out of the blue” and didn’t seem to fit correctly with the rest of the story. I personally think it is a good story even without this particular element. Of course I haven’t read the next book in the series, so not sure what direction the author might be going with this.

All things considered, this was an entertaining read. Don’t expect any closure at the end however…will definitely have to read the next book in the series to find out what finally happens to Owen, his family, and the rest of mankind.

message 9: by Lisa P (last edited Jun 01, 2013 09:46AM) (new)

Lisa P 8. The Psalter The Psalter by Galen Watson by Galen Watson.

4 stars - This was a member author group read for my Action/Adventure Aficionados book group. I didn't write a review, but here are my answers to the discussion questions:
1. Did you feel that this was a good Action/Adventure novel?
2. Action scenes. How did they work for you? What kicks the action up a notch for you?

It wasn't too heavy on the action, but definitely had enough to satisfy my addiction; including bombs, guns, knives and good old fashioned fist fights.

3. What about the Historical thread of the story...did you like this better, less than the modern thread, or did you like both equally well? What did you like most about each?

The historical thread was my favorite part of the story. I love learning about different periods in history; and the characters really drew me in, and made me care about what was happening.

4. Characters? Who did you like the most, the least? Who was least complete, and who the most?

From the historical thread I would have to say Johannes was my favorite, followed closely by Baraldus. They were both so unconventional for the church at the time, with their pasts having a huge effect on who they were. Loved their closeness and Baraldus' role as protector. For the modern thread my favorite was Romano, again not fitting the "church mold". Loved his toughness and street smarts. He made for a good action adventure hero.

5. The History. Was it accurate? Did Watson do a good job of explaining things without slowing the story down?

I am not Catholic, but enjoyed learning some history of the Catholic Church and how the Christian religion really developed. A lot of controversial questions and issues are brought up, which made for an intriguing story. The history from the past tied in nicely with the modern thread of the story.

6. Pacing? Too good, not good, perfect?

For me the pacing was perfect. I loved how the story jumped back and forth between the modern and historical threads, and I never felt lost in the story. And although there was quite a bit of historical information provided throughout the story, I never felt overwhelmed or that I was receiving an info dump. The information always melded with the storyline perfectly.

7. The There were some provocative questions raised in this book, what did you think?

Some people may take issue with some of the provocative info in the book, but I felt that this is what made the book so intriguing and interesting to read...also quite thought provoking.

8. Favorite moments.

My favorite moment was when I found out that (view spoiler). I never suspected it at all; and once I found out, I was elated with this new information. It was a turning point in the story for me.

9. Overall rating: out of 1-5 stars?

4 stars

10. Books you'd recommend like this one?

Well, I cant really recommend it because I haven't read it yet myself...but The Psalter reminded me of a book I have had on my TBR list forever. The Crown. It seems to be a similar thriller wrapped around the Catholic Church. I think I need to pull it out and read it soon.

11. There will be more. Will you continue the series?

Absolutely! Looking forward to it.

message 10: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P 9. Lover At Last Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11) by J.R. Ward by J.R. Ward.

4 stars - This is the 11th installment in the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series. If you are a paranormal/vampire fan, I highly suggest this series. The first book in the series is Dark Lover.

message 11: by Lisa P (last edited Jun 01, 2013 09:59AM) (new)

Lisa P 10. Riley's Journey Riley's Journey by P.L. Parker by P.L. Parker.

4 Stars - I really enjoyed this time travel romance/adventure. One of the main reasons is because it takes place in a time period that we don't see much in these types of novels...cave man era! Riley and Nathan are sent 40,000 years back in time for a research project and must deal with Neanderthals, Cro-Magnon man, and savage beasts in order to survive.

message 12: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P 11. Into the Savage Dawn Into the Savage Dawn by P.L. Parker by P.L. Parker.

4 Stars - This is book 2 of the Riley's Journey Series, and I enjoyed it just as much as the first book. It continues where the first one leaves off.