Independent Author Services and Promotions discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Editing Services by Cynthia Shepp (cynthiasheppedits) | 221 comments Mod
I just wanted to say hello to everyone that enters. I am starting this group but I want everyone to feel free to post whatever whenever. Hopefully we can all be beneficial to each other. I am an editor, a blogger, and recently a publisher of anthologies. I urge everyone to take the initiative and promote theirselves, their books, their giveaways, and their services. Invite all of your friends. Please be respectful and lets hope that we can get this going.

message 2: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Tatum | 2 comments Hi, Cynthia! I'm Felicia. A blogger, writer, reader, and recently became a published author :) I like the idea of this group, and I thank you for making it!

message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments Hi there,
Darren here...published my first novel this past July and looking forward to some great discussions on here...

message 4: by Deray (new)

Deray Ogden (derayogden) | 10 comments Hi Cynthia,
Thanks for launching this post. We who dive into the murky, dark waters of writing and self publishing need all the help we can get. I wish you and all who join your group loads of success.

message 5: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Peterson | 6 comments Thank you for inviting me to the group. I appreciate it. I also look forward to getting to know fellow writers! :)
God Bless,
CJ Peterson

Please invite all of your Goodreads friends!

message 7: by Bart (new)

Bart Hopkins (barthopkins) | 33 comments Hello-
I'm Bart and I'm an author whenever I get the time. Published first novel, Fluke, in April 2012...co-authored with buddy Dave Elliott. I've also been a weather guy in the Air Force for 18+ years. Second novel, Texas Jack, will be finished within the next couple of weeks. Many thanks to Cynthia Shepp, champion of authors, and nice person. I look forward to more interaction with everyone!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for allowing me to join this group. I have only written a novella (self-published)but I currently I'm trying to transform it into a screenplay. I feel a little in over my head.

Take Care,

Lori

message 9: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments Hi there everyone..
Definitely looking forward some great discussions among us to help us as writers, publishing, and sales...
the one thing I have to ask among ya is that I seem to be stumbling right now trying to come up with sales for my novel, Alien Tears.
I have done the usual book excepts on different blogs, made video trailers of my book, had a free week to download said novel, posted advertisments across different blogs, facebook, etc, but I don't get while no one has bought my book. In fact, just recently, I reduced the kindle price from regular book price to $2.99 or so there just to entice people to buy it....but still no sales....
I would appreciate it very much if any of you have any advice you can offer...
I have been trying to get reviews for my novel and in fact, I have submitted my novel to about 15 review sites, but I also understand most reviewers are getting swamped by the deluge of indie authors wanting to have their books review, but no reviews, even the ones that downloaded my book for free.
I am beginning to think that some of the problem I am having selling my book is that there are no reviews to speak of and I think people look to reviews to decide to buy said book or not.....
Do ya think reviews are pretty important in selling your novels????
Right now, I have moved on and in the process of working on my 2nd novel which is kind of a Indiana Jones meets sci-fi action/thriller...
Thanks for listening to me rant hahahaha

message 10: by Deray (new)

Deray Ogden (derayogden) | 10 comments Hi Misty
Sounds interesting, do you mind if I contact you?

Misty wrote: "Hi Darren,

I can empathize what you are facing here...

I am also an author like yourself. I managed to make sustainable sales using a system that I have developed.

If you are keen to find out mo..."

InD'tale Magazine (indtale) | 12 comments Hello everyone, and thanks to Felicia for the invite!

InD'Tale Magazine is a digital magazine aimed specifically at writers and readers of self and small published works. We are growing by leaps and bounds, both in terms of readership and submissions by indie authors.

Check out our shelves here on Goodreads - we are entering all of books we have reviewed in the magazine.

Our website is www.indtale.com -- information on how to submit your books for review is there, along with articles, columns and professional reviews.

Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/InDTaleMagazine
Like us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/InDTaleMagazine

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (beckstarreviews) | 12 comments Hi Darren! I just started a review blog. I don't have any followers yet, but I do have a few authors that I've done reviews for that are sharing the blog on their Facebook pages. If you'd like I can do a review for you :)

Darren wrote: "Hi there everyone..
Definitely looking forward some great discussions among us to help us as writers, publishing, and sales...
the one thing I have to ask among ya is that I seem to be stumbling ri..."

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (beckstarreviews) | 12 comments Hey y'all! My name is Lauren and I have recently started a review blog. I don't have any followers yet, but I have quite a few reviews up for only doing it for a few weeks :)

I'm going to school for editing and plan to start writing my first book very soon. I have a lot of different ideas, just have to pick one and go with it!

I'd be more than happy to do reviews for anyone, in an genre. I have a soft spot for indie authors; I like the idea that I was there supporting them before they became famous ;-)

Happy writing!

message 14: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments Hi there Lauren,
If sci-fi/romance/action is up your alley for books, please let me know how I can submit my novel for you to review??
I would appreciate a review very much...
thanks..

Lauren wrote: "Hi Darren! I just started a review blog. I don't have any followers yet, but I do have a few authors that I've done reviews for that are sharing the blog on their Facebook pages. If you'd like I..."

message 15: by Adrian (new)

Adrian White (lynskeybooks) | 3 comments Many thanks, Cynthia, for the invite to join such a useful group. I am in the lucky position of having had my first two novels published by Penguin Books - An Accident Waiting to Happen and Where the Rain Gets In - but am now going it alone. I have re-published these two books, plus my third novel Dancing to the End of Love.
Thank you once again,
Adrian.

message 16: by Bart (new)

Bart Hopkins (barthopkins) | 33 comments Darren,
Have you tried a Kindle Promotion? And, not just 'tried' it, but really prepared and done it right?

My novel had trickled down to near-zero sales and I just did another promo...since Christmas day we've sold 650 copies.

But, you have to do the promo right.

I believe the problem is that self-publishing, while good, has allowed a flood in the book market. I hear there were over 200,000 self-published books last year. How does anyone know to choose yours? They don't and they probably won't without some advertising. Word-of-mouth is okay, but unless you know 1,000 people who liked your book and are honestly spreading the word, that falls flat.

You need to advertise it in some way. Kindle promos are advertising. Sure, nobody likes giving out their books for free, but it works. The philosophy we can talk about in a sidebar, if you are staunchly anti-promo.

You could do some grassroots stuff...I went to a local bazaar and did a book signing. Sold 30 books in 10 hours but handed out a LOT of cards and saw multiple sales on Kindle the following week.

I'm rambling. Let me know if you are interested in any of this. I'm more than happy to help you make it a success.

Bart

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard Galloway (richardjgalloway) | 2 comments Bart
Similar story here, I published Amantarra in August 2012 and sales started off badly and then went downhill rapidly. A few weeks ago I joined Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) and this has done nothing for sales at all. I'd be interested in any guidance you could offer on Kindle promotions, preferable a step by step idiots guide as marketing and advertising is an alien landscape to me.
Richard J Galloway

message 18: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments Hi there Bart,
Very much so, I am definitely interested in hearing more about this and your success and I am sure other authors here would love to hear your input..
Thanks..

Adrian wrote: "Many thanks, Cynthia, for the invite to join such a useful group. I am in the lucky position of having had my first two novels published by Penguin Books - An Accident Waiting to Happen and Where t..."

message 19: by Bart (last edited Feb 23, 2013 01:49PM) (new)

Bart Hopkins (barthopkins) | 33 comments Darren, Richard, & Any Interested...

Shoot me a message if you'd like a cheat sheet to get you started with Kindle Promotions.

message 20: by Editing Services (new)

Bart,
Wow! Above and Beyond. Thanks so much for getting so involved. All of that is such good advice. Thanks for throwing in the promo as well lol.

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Andrassy (stephanie_andrassy) Ummmm, well...it is a bit hard to follow Bart. ;) (Excellent sharing Bart; thank you!) I am Stephanie Andrassy, author of Noble Lies - romance suspense - which I self-published earlier this year across all channels. (Cover by the magical Rene Folsom who also designed Cynthia's Apocalypse cover.) I have a full bio on my author page, as well as links to Facebook, Twitter, etc. Would love to connect and expand my social circles. I am looking forward to learning and sharing; but if you see too much of me, do me a favor and slap my fingers and send me back to my writing. And, Happy New Year!

message 22: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments Wow...thanks Bart...appreciate it very much..

message 23: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Peterson | 6 comments Thank you very much for your advice, Bart! Greatly appreciate any and all help!
God Bless,
CJ

message 24: by Magen (new)

Magen McMinimy (magen_mcminimy) | 54 comments Ok it took me a little time to get here. It’s been super busy lately, anyways I have to say that I love this! I’m sure most of you know what a negative reputation authors get for self promoting, but as indie authors we have no choice but to self promote, so a big thanks to Cynthia, who’s given a platform to do this without ridicule. I’m an avid reader though I often admit that I’m not very flexible in what I read—I’m a paranormal romance junkie—I know it’s totally ridiculous, but I’m working on expanding my horizon’s. I have a few authors that are big publisher house authors that I will always follow, but for the most part I try to support all those self-published authors out there. I know what it is like so please feel free to friend me on here and on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magen-M...) if you’d like and send me suggestions of good books in and out of my comfort zone ;)
I’m not only a paranormal romance reader . . . surprise, surprise it’s what I write also. I finished out my first Paranormal Romance Series last year and it consisted of 8 novels and 2 novella’s. I started a YA series last year also; that one’s been a bit of a challenge for me, but I still enjoy writing it. However right now my main focus and love is my newest series that I published the first book in just a few weeks ago, it’s a Fae based Paranormal Romance and it is my heart and soul right now! (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...) anyways I’ll leave it at that I look forward to connecting with all of you! Have a Great Night.

message 25: by Richard (new)

Richard Galloway (richardjgalloway) | 2 comments Thanks Bart that looks great, I'll be working my way through it in the next few days.
Richard

message 26: by Bart (new)

Bart Hopkins (barthopkins) | 33 comments Best of luck!

message 27: by Deena (new)

Deena Rae Schoenfeldt (deenarae) | 7 comments Thanks for the invite to the group. I am not a writer however my husband is along with being my co-host of one of my podcasts.

I blog, tweet, promote, interview, format for mobi and epub and convert. I have been involved with university, small press and indie-publishing in various technical capacities for over 20 years - not as a full time profession until the last 16 months or so when I took the chance to establish the digital division of The Book Connection along with my own enterprise E-BookBuilders.

My website is http://www.e-bookbuilders.com (former blog was digitalebookformatting.wordpress.com) I post reviews (of books I am able to read in my down time only), I also have tips and information that is helpful to indies.

I do a lot of research for clients and my husband, and try to pass this information along to interested indies.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to perhaps help some authors out. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Deena

message 28: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Brock (soniabrock) | 18 comments Hi Cynthia! Hello group! I am a self published author of the two novels (I have put them on our bookshelf - Swamp Witch Series). I am working alone and looking for reviews, feedback and insightful sharing. I am too blunt for my own good sometimes but always willing to chat and learn. Hit me up here or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SoniaTaylorB... I look forward to hearing from you!

message 29: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Brock (soniabrock) | 18 comments Hey guys, I have a book trailer that I created. I don't think I can download it here, but I would really like some feedback. Can you guys give it a look-see and tell me what you think? Here's the link to the video. http://youtu.be/_KxomRxFzis

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy Wolf | 5 comments Hola everyone! Not feeling so great today but that does NOT stop me from promo'ing! My new comic memoir is just .99 on Amazon Kindle. It's a comedy. About breast cancer. I know. http://tinyurl.com/dontletme-motel6 Made it to the Top 100 in Kindle Memoirs & All Books Humor. Thanks!

message 31: by Ty (new)

Ty Patterson | 7 comments Hi,

i am a self published author, published my ebook, The Warrior, a thriller, on Amazon and Smashwords in December. i would love reviews and of course sales!

thks

Ty

Twitter: @typatterson67

Blog: http://www.facebook.com/typatterson67

Facebook: http://pattersonty.wordpress.com

Book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Warrior-ebo...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Warrior-e...

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

message 32: by Amith (new)

Amith Vikram | 1 comments Hi,
My name is Amith, 25 yrs old. I love writing short stories. Apart from writing, my interests are travelling, metaphysics and ancient history. My blog : www.sharavega.com/lounge

message 33: by Robert (new)

Robert Barton | 9 comments Hi,

I'm Robert Barton.

I've always loved to write. 27 Years old. I'm working on publishing a book and I intend to write more. I'm glad that this site exists!

message 34: by Irving (new)

Irving Podolsky | 36 comments Hello Group!

I write and blog with the name Irving Podolsky. I'm happy to be part of assembly. Thank you, Cynthia, for inviting me.

Irv

Irv's Odyssey Lost in a Looking Glass (Book One) by Irving H. Podolsky
Irv's Odyssey To the Light and Beyond (Book Two) by Irving H. Podolsky
Irv's Odyssey Seeking the Way Home (Book Three) by Irving H. Podolsky

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for inviting me, Cynthia! Interesting group of people. I have 5 women's thrillers on Amazon and most other sites. Looking forward to the interaction here!

message 36: by Dan (new)

Dan Groat (dangroat) | 5 comments I'm looking forward to being a member of this group. I am Dan Groat. My first novel is A Punctual Paymaster, a family saga novel that just received a 5-star review from an Amazon Top 500 Reviewer. I would love to exchange marketing ideas, likes, follows, or anything else that could help us. Reach me through email: dgroatauthor@charter.net or see my website www.dgroat.com and contact me through it.

message 37: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Hi guys *waves from Dublin*

message 38: by Editing Services (new)

Ken wrote: "Hi guys *waves from Dublin*"

Hi! *waves back from Alabama* ;)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone! I'm hanging out in the bayou state (Louisiana, of course).

I've just published my first book, Control, and I'm trying desperately to navigate around the overwhelming world of self-publication and self-marketing.

I'm glad to find this group...I love the, I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine, approach. At this point, I'd be willing to claw the crap out of you if it would make this process a little more fun. ;)

message 40: by Editing Services (new)

Lol love it but I don't think you need to claw anyone. What genre is your book?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

It is a Paranormal Romance, but I think I should create a new genre ~ Paranormal Romantic Comedy. :)

message 42: by Editing Services (new)

I just sent you a message :)

message 43: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (liloh-p) | 2 comments Hi, everybody, Thanks for having me. My name is Lilo Huhle-Poelzl. I am 73 years old, but I am not a gruftie. Please read my Goodreads profile. This will tell you more about me. What it doesn't say in my profile: My early-childhood memoir, titled "Time Travel into Babyhood", is in the process of being self-published with the help of a digital marketing company, for I am a computer-dummy. That's why I am not yet on facebook and twitter. For the moment, I am still busy stumbling through the Goodreads website like a blind person in an enchanted forest, goofing things up wherever I go. So, please, be patient with me. -- Lilo

message 44: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) Hi. I'm Kayla, I'm 15 and I live in the Philippines. I have a book blog and I like owls.

[Ok, that was the most random thing ever]

message 45: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Taylor (lorraineT) Hi all. I'm a new author with my book coming out in June/July. I'm also starting my own business creating one-of-a-kind pre-made book covers for ebook and paperback. Lovely to meet everyone :)

message 46: by J. (new)

J. McClain (jcameron) Hello everyone, my name is John Cameron McClain (publishing as J. Cameron McClain). I published the second edition of my first novel, The Five Watchers in February of this year, and have been editing (mostly indie writers) for about a year now. I'm here to learn from everyone, help where I can, and have fun while I'm at it.

message 47: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Jacobs (dawnjacobsauthor) | 6 comments Hello everyone! I currently have a Christian fiction novel Gods Child on the market. By the next week I should have a children's novel Bear and Mel in paperback and ebook. I'd appreciate a look at my we page www.dawnjacobsauthor.com or my Facebook page (named the same) and learn more about my novels. I'm very excited to finally begin fulfilling a lifelong dream.

message 48: by Heinz (new)

Heinz Kohler | 1 comments Hi everyone and thanks for having me.

My name is Heinz Kohler and I am currently running giveaways of my latest two books at goodreads.

First, if anyone would like to consider a rather unusual view of World War II (from the perspective of a boy growing up in Berlin at the time), the following may be of interest: I am giving away 10 paperback copies of MY NAME WAS FIVE: A Novel of the Second World War. In addition, Amazon now has a Kindle edition and sample chapters appear at www.mynamewasfive.com

Second, I am also giving away 10 paperback copies of a rather different book, CAUTION: SNAKE OIL! How Statistical Thinking Can Help Us Expose Misinformation About Our Health. Here, too, Amazon has a Kindle edition and sample chapters appear at www.cautionsnakeoil.com

Paperback versions of both books are on sale at the respective web sites. To learn more, please, do see my blog at my goodreads profile.

message 49: by Ren (new)

Ren Alexander (ren_alexander) | 9 comments Hi! I'm Ren and I just published my first contemporary romance novel, "Chasing the Wild Sparks." I'm trying to get my novel off the ground, but it's been slow going. I hope to learn a thing or two from my peers and perhaps become better at marketing my book! :)

message 50: by Steve (new)

Steve Goerger | 2 comments So much gratitude to Cynthia for this area, it's very useful to a lot of us! I am a web developer trying to get my entire business over into the "author services" niche, as I am also an author (two separate hats, trying to make them more like one).

Cheers all!

« previous 1