Islands in the Stream Islands in the Stream question

Have you already read it?
Fernando Fernando (last edited Jan 10, 2013 01:30PM ) Dec 30, 2012 03:15PM
Every time I read a topic about Hemingway, it's easily noticiable that discussions are mostly concentrated on the classics like "For Whom The Bell Tolls"or "A Farewell To Arms" and etc. However, there are some valuable works in a writer collection that get dimmed by the "masterpieces". I`d like to mention specifically "Islands In The Stream". IMHO, it`s an unmissable reading for some few reasons:
- It's a kind of autobiography uncontaminated by the glamour of his precedent way of life. He clearly makes an attempt to redeem and understand what was actually important to his life before putting an end to it.
- He invites his sons of different marriages to spend a time with him. Most of the story contemplates this coexistence in wich he did his best to understand and love each one as a real father.
- It's a very simple and umpretentious book, but according to the statement of Paul ( a very inteligent member of the forum), "Hemingway's brilliance shines by showing that simple words meticulously placed in simple sentences can still tell a story with indelible passion".

This is also my favorite Hemingway book.

Its my #1 favorite as well.

When I have read Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises, I can read Homer's lliad which I could not appreciate before. They , Hemingway and Homer, describe details precisely and meticulously where I find beauty.

This is my second favorite Hemingway novel. Second only to The Sun Also Rises.

I agree. I think this is a truly profound novel, which has some important things to say - particularly about the complexities of relationships between parents and children. It is up there with For Whom the Bell Tolls as Hemingway's finest work, in my view.

Islands in the stream: The book resonated in my subconscious for some time after the first reading, three or four readings down the line it still does.. The Savage Detectives also had an immediate and profound effect.

I love this Hemingway story. The fishing episode has stuck in my mind for years since I first read it, so I read it again recently. The boy's rite of passage through his day-long struggle in the fishing chair is both exciting and emotional. The love, care, and support given him during his struggle by his father and the other men on the boat demonstrated their respect for the boy and his right to earn his manhood.
Every part of this story is important, told as only Hemingway can tell it.

Michelle (last edited Jan 09, 2013 08:03AM ) Jan 08, 2013 08:36PM   0 votes
I agree as well. I enjoyed reading Islands in the Stream as much as Hemingway's more famous works.

I really enjoyed the first part, I didn't like the other two parts as much, the finale was good though. I'm not used to having to pity Hmeingway's characters, in all the novels I've read by him I've felt sorry for the protagonist in one way or another. There's always some tragedy that befalls them and they always take it in their stride which I think is one of the key elements to Hemingways characters and is one of the reason I feel for them more and why I love Hemingway's writing. In the second part of Islands in the Stream Hudson is all beat down and moping and I just didn't find it very enjoyable to read, in my opinion it would have been better to have the first part stansd alone as it's own novella. I don't think Islands in the Stream holds up as much as Hemingway's better known works.