Iced (Fever, #6) Iced discussion

Moving from the Fever Series to Iced (Dani O'Malley Series)

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole The last Fever book came out a while ago Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning and now with Iced Iced (Dani O'Malley, #1) by Karen Marie Moning being out I feel a little disoriented! Is anyone feeling this way? Does anyone know the important points/events to help readers pick up Iced??

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I didn't feel disoriented. But then again, looking at others reviews and comments, I feel like the only one who actually liked Iced, and Dani's perspective. I mean, I loved The Fever series, but I find Dani's narrative interesting as well. I guess I just had more of a break between Shadowfever and Iced, as I just read a couple days ago. I was just happy to get anything from Moning, honestly.

Michielle I re-read the Fever series before I bought Iced. It is amazing how much I missed with the first read through of Fever. One thing that I had to keep reminding myself was that Dani did not know all of what Mac knew. And she did not know some of the stuff Mac had been through, or was going through while the time went by in Iced. I wanted to yell at the Iced/Dani and tell her what was really happening with Barrons and Ryo at a certain time or other things that happened in the background. It was interesting to see it from someone else's POV.

Kyra I liked Iced and Dani grew on me with a second read. I however, did not like Mac. I wasn't overly fond of the fever series either. Maybe it's because I read Iced first.

message 5: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Mateo I read the fever series before i started reading ice i knew she was a stronger character just from the Fever series spinoff.

Adoore I loved ICED and I am looking forward to the release of the following books that will give us more of Dani and her significant other.

Estelle (E) Nicole wrote: "The last Fever book came out a while ago Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning and now with Iced Iced (Dani O'Malley, #1) by Karen Marie Moning being out I feel a little disoriented! Is anyone feeling this way? Does anyone k..."

Hello Nicole,
You should read Iced, I'm a big fan of the Fever series and Iced is very good too. If you feel lost, here are some questions and answers sent by Karen Moning before ICed came out. Hope it helps:

Q: How old is Dani in this series?
A: 14 when it starts. 17 when it ends.

Q: Ew. Teens can’t have sex!
A: Right. What world are you living in?

Q: Does she have sex at 14?
A: No.

Q: Is there sex in this trilogy?
A: Have you forgotten whose writing it?

Q: Is Dani’s voice the same as it was in the Fever books?
A: No. In the Fever books Dani was 5% of the story, so I made her voice colorful enough to stand out in an epic world. In ICED, her story is epic, so her voice is more natural, more her own.

Q: When Dani does lose her virginity will it be with one of the males in ICED?
A: Yes.

Q: Do these books end on cliffhangers?
A: No. ICED gives a solid feel-good wrap.

Q: Do you love Dani’s story as much as Mac’s?
A: Absolutely, and I was astonished by that. I thought it was going to be much harder to leave Mac and Barrons than it was. I realized I hadn’t left them at all. I’d merely detoured down a different dark street in Dublin. Still looking up at the Old World façade of BB&B at night, with all the lights on, still seeing Barrons ‘(Bugatti in ICED) glide down the street, still watching Mac’s toss her hair across Chester’s dance floor. Just watching it through different eyes.

message 8: by Kindra (new) - added it

Kindra Binder I can't wait to read this. But refuse to until all of the books are out. Moning takes forever and I will not allow myself to be on any cliff hanger insanity like I was with the fever series. I went nuts waiting for the 5th book. It was torture!

Michielle Kindra wrote: "I can't wait to read this. But refuse to until all of the books are out. Moning takes forever and I will not allow myself to be on any cliff hanger insanity like I was with the fever series. I went..."

Then you may have to wait 4 or 5 years =(

Adoore Please do not tell me that Moning doesn't put out a book every year. This is her only series, doesn't she publish one a year?

Michielle Adoore wrote: "Please do not tell me that Moning doesn't put out a book every year. This is her only series, doesn't she publish one a year?"

That is about how long it takes her. Here is her book list with her release dates. http://www.karenmoning.com/kmm/novels... I prefer she does a great job with the story than release 2 or 3 books a year that are formulaic and repetitive.

Adoore Thank you Michielle it seems that she publishes once a year or once in the Fall and then in the Summer and I agree with you I prefer a well written book to some of the the books other authors are publishing. I really enjoy her Fever/Ice series and am looking forward to more Dani, Ryo, Christian, and Dancer.

message 13: by MaL (new) - rated it 4 stars

MaL Kat wrote: "I didn't feel disoriented. But then again, looking at others reviews and comments, I feel like the only one who actually liked Iced, and Dani's perspective. I mean, I loved The Fever series, but I ..."

i feel the same way! She is amazing! I just reread the fever series before i read Iced and loved it just as much the second time!

Brandi Kat wrote: "I didn't feel disoriented. But then again, looking at others reviews and comments, I feel like the only one who actually liked Iced, and Dani's perspective. I mean, I loved The Fever series, but I ..."

That's how I feel like I'm the only one who like it after reading the reviews on the book. I don't understand what made people think that Moning would ever let Dani lose her virginity at 14. And there was nothing that even hinted that was going to happen. It all hinted at them waiting...smh. I truly enjoyed it and cant wait til burned.

Mypeng129a clarke I loved Dani's perspective too! I think it makes the series richer to get another view of what's going on.

Matteo Pendarvis I actually enjoyed Iced, I found it funny and creative. I was sucked right back in to the time and place. I love Dani's voice,, and her spunk. I can't wait for the next book.

Sharmila Brandi wrote: "Kat wrote: "I didn't feel disoriented. But then again, looking at others reviews and comments, I feel like the only one who actually liked Iced, and Dani's perspective. I mean, I loved The Fever se..."

I agree Bandi! Moning got some heat from those who felt that Dani would lose her virginity at 14. Don't think this is going to happen. Well not at 14. I think Moning did a good job stating that through the book that waiting is worth the wait. She does make some smart reading about this I'm some of the dialogue.

There's the part when...
Roydan speaks about Dani's age that at 14 she would have been married and had children in another time...
In the beginning you hear Christian describing how he sees Dani as this force of "life" No way was it sexual but He was a aroused by that feeling because it kind of made him feel human, being that he's changing and becoming dark. Dani makes him feel.
You hear Roydan and Dani argue about what is the meaning of love. For me does love have an age?

I mean there's so many other books that the character is at a very young age and then years later ends up with the person that was waiting for them. Never was there any sexual contact but just the thrill of someone waiting so long for the one that they love.

By any means I really don't really think Dani should lose her virginity at 14. I still feel like she's still young and still immature about the whole sexual and love issues. I like reading about her hard life and how fast she is growing and learning for 14-year-olds but let's look at the time in this book. The world has fallen, life as they know it has changed. It's a different world than what we perceive it to be today. Characters in this book are looking to survive And still live as normal beings. In this book and it's settings you tend to question what's right or wrong. But what's right and wrong when survival instincts kick in?

These characters a pretty much living day to day and trying just trying to hold onto those small moments of just pure emotional instinct that's a rarity for them.

So I guess my question is what are the limits of being with someone who you feel so strongly for, knowing that tomorrow might not never come? Am I saying that 14 is okay to have sexual relationships? I don't think so not for this character. Dani doesn't know who she is still. She doesn't know what these emotions are. She's in the world of survival trying to figure out.

But if Dani does lose her virginity I truly hope it's "epic" and it's with the right person and it's one hell of a fight worth fighting for and waiting for.

message 19: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn Kat wrote: "I didn't feel disoriented. But then again, looking at others reviews and comments, I feel like the only one who actually liked Iced, and Dani's perspective. I mean, I loved The Fever series, but I ..."

I loved Iced! I just re read it

message 20: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn Michielle wrote: "I love this!!! https://www.facebook.com/notes/karen-..."

THANK YOU FOR THE LINK!

Ikku Summers There are so many complains about Dani being 14 and Ryo being a Pedo. tbh I just don't see it. Maybe because I'm a guy? Dum dum dum dum.. whatever.. I still like Dani and she's my all time favorite book character. (I'm 22 years old) and no.. I'm not a Pedophile who prey on young girls. (I like men more than woman.) lol

Michielle Ikku wrote: "There are so many complains about Dani being 14 and Ryo being a Pedo. tbh I just don't see it. Maybe because I'm a guy? Dum dum dum dum.. whatever.. I still like Dani and she's my all time favorite..."

It's always nice to get a man's point of view. =)

message 23: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn I enjoyed reading Iced, but I had just read the entire Fever series when Iced was released.

Kinga I just finished the whole Fever series in the past few days and I loved Dani! I mean, she's badass and saves the day and everyone just keeps taking from her. I can't wait for the next one...

Considering what the 12 year olds are doing around me, I don't feel bad about Dani being 14. I mean, I was chasing guys too at that age and she's clearly not having a sexual life so what's the problem? The age difference? Oh yea, try comparing Barrons and Mac's age. Isn't THAT a big difference?
Anyway we'll see what happens ^^

message 25: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn Xzellaz wrote: "I just finished the whole Fever series in the past few days and I loved Dani! I mean, she's badass and saves the day and everyone just keeps taking from her. I can't wait for the next one...

Consi..."

Yea, but still, it is not only the age difference well it is, but where as Mac & Barrons are ADULTS, and Dani is still clearly a child I think is what gets everygody on the age difference. If Dani were Adult, and Ryo was older or how ever old he is. It wouldn't make as much a difference..

Corin Lynn wrote: "Yea, but still, it is not only the age difference well it is, but where as Mac & Barrons are ADULTS, and Dani is still clearly a child I think is what gets everygody on the age difference. If Dani were Adult, and Ryo was older or how ever old he is. It wouldn't make as much a difference.."

In Barrons' world, Mac more or less did not qualify as an adult at 22 when she arrived. To those boys it's only cognizance, intent, and action that determine growth or the potential for it.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole wrote: "The last Fever book came out a while ago Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning and now with Iced Iced (Fever, #6) by Karen Marie Moning being out I feel a little disoriented! Is anyone feeling this way? Does anyone k..." Nope, I skipped the Dani books.

message 28: by KiBo (new) - rated it 3 stars

KiBo I know I'm late to the party, but I skipped over reading Iced. Mostly, because I didn't want to read a book from the POV of a 14 year old girl thar I viewed as immature, impetuous, and annoying with limited vocabulary. Also, I found Ryodan's interest in her inappropriate.
Then, another reader suggest I go back and read it so that I could better understand the Ryodan/Dani relationship.
I wish I could UNREAD this book because my first impression of Ryo/Dani didn't change. I found it even more revolting. I can't comprehend why there are so many readers out there who love and support these characters. I wonder what the age demographic is for those who love Dani's POV and storyline versus Mac's POV and storyline.
I understand that Dani is a tough, kick-ass girl who isn't afraid of taking on the dangers of this new Fae-invaded world. But at the end of the day SHE IS A 14 YEAR OLD INNOCENT GIRL who is being obsessively stalked by a sexual predator!!!!
I've read all the comments from different groups and readers. I've read KMM's remarks about NOT writing about pedophiles. It still doesn't change the fact that more than one adult male in this book had an interest in Dani, and that interest wasn't always one of good intentions.
As for Christian, his only saving grace in not being viewed as downright creepy is the fact that he is part Unseelie Prince and couldn't help his feelings and actions at times. I don't think Christian prior to his transformation would have been as interested in Dani.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Kim wrote: "I know I'm late to the party, but I skipped over reading Iced. Mostly, because I didn't want to read a book from the POV of a 14 year old girl thar I viewed as immature, impetuous, and annoying wit..." Well, I don't even have to go as far as the whole 14 year old girl and adult males thing not to read the Dani books. I found her character totally offensive from the get go so I definitely didn't read Iced. Started to read Burned and said "nope" not goin' there. Even though Mac and Barrons were in the mix - did not feel like going through the whole Dani/super girl "witch" thing again.

message 30: by KiBo (last edited Feb 09, 2016 07:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

KiBo Pauline wrote: "Kim wrote: "I know I'm late to the party, but I skipped over reading Iced. Mostly, because I didn't want to read a book from the POV of a 14 year old girl thar I viewed as immature, impetuous, and ..."

Hello Pauline, thanks for responding! :-)

I didn't hate Dani's character in the other Fever books, but I found her to be annoying, Again, I couldn't relate to a 14 year old.

I did read Burn and Feverborn. The only reason I read them was because Mac and Barrons was back in the story but the books were not as good as the first five books. Since Iced, the storyline seems too fragmented with too many characters wanting the spotlight. Im my opinion, KMM should have wrapped up Mac's story and then did a spin-off series with Dani and Ryodan, not that I would read them, but its like she is pushing two power couples into one book series and it's getting lame.

According to a GR group, Moning Maniacs, much speculation is going on for the next book. It looks like the series is heading towards Dani (now called Jada who aged during her time in Faery and is now 19) and Ryodan. If that's the case, I definitely won't continue reading the series.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Kim wrote: "Pauline wrote: "Kim wrote: "I know I'm late to the party, but I skipped over reading Iced. Mostly, because I didn't want to read a book from the POV of a 14 year old girl thar I viewed as immature,..."
I totally agree with your statements - except for the last sentence. I definitely won't be continuing with the series unless it veers back to its original story arc. Enjoy!